#1 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 09 2018 - 07:11 PM

So, i was under the impression that there were no proper triple screen modifications and the only possibility was to use something like eyefinity or nvidia surroud with the crappy single viewport over 3 monitors triple screen.
However watching this youtube video (recorded around 2002 no less!) shows a version of GPL with proper triple screen support with separate viewports for each screen. Notice how the angle changes on the angled side screens.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AYteSA25Q2E

This appears to be done on multiple computers with the sidescreen computers each running copies of the game and spectating (does that mean it is only available for online play?). Details are short on the video.

Anyway, i never knew GPL had been modified in this way, proper triple support from a single instance on a single computer would be great. Obviously the FOVs, angles, positions of each screen would have to be configured in an ini file or something, but that would be great.

I just saw this randomly on youtube and was surprised! Especially considering how old it is and that i'd never heard about it properly or realised it was actual independent viewports.

On a side note, it's really annoying that that assetto corsa mod has called itself "grand prix legends" as it is making gpl content harder to search for. Just try searching on youtube for grand prix legends and sorting by date order for example. They really should change the nameā€¦

Edited by one2fwee, Dec 09 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 10 2018 - 07:57 AM

Noticed it is a recently posted video from 2002.
Amazing again, how many times it might have been saved, copied, transferred and it made it thru til now.
Definitely CRTs so for the time a pretty nifty rig.
Notice the shifter? Is that an MSFF?

So guessing a three computer LAN rig in multi-player mode?
Edit displays with CarCamEdit, which could modify views on up to six monitors.

Maybe, or maybe it is a LAN rig?

On the side note, clearly it is an ignorant, abusive, disrespectful, maybe dangerous altogether, supremely rude and blatant attack that reveals complete lack of integrity.

Have to say as well, if Grand Prix Legends is such a crappy old sim, why does everyone want to glom onto it, steal from it, pretend they are it?

Silly humans, dumb as rocks sometimes
And arrogant as mountains
:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 10 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 10 2018 - 08:41 AM

I was doing some investigations with GPLShift a little while ago, and I came across a section in the settings file which referred to a device called the "Matrox Triple-Head-To-Go". It turned out that by changing one of the settings in that section, it would fix some replay camera distortions. But on this topic, maybe this video shows an example of the "Triple-Head-To-Go" in action? I don't know anything about it apart from the name, but it sounds like a device for splitting the video image to multiple monitors. Was Matrox the only company to make such a device? Or are there other techniques which don't require much extra hardware, apart from video cables?

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts

Posted Dec 10 2018 - 08:58 AM

From the video commentary:

Three computers networked, side monitor computers join race and show "live" replay of driver using modified camera files.

Plus CRT monitors had all kinds of display tweaks and rez options.

So it would work like this?

Driver on Computer A, center monitor, sets up as server (optional) and joins multi-player LAN race.
Driver on B, right side monitor, joins race but stays in pits, clicks to Driver A view and selects the Driver A cam that is modified to portray Driver A view to right.
Driver on C, left side monitor, joins race but stays in pits, clicks to Driver A view and selects the Driver A cam that is modified to portray Driver A view to left.

Just guessing.
And seems a really good idea.

Edited by John Woods, Dec 10 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 10 2018 - 03:32 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Dec 10 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

:duh: How did I miss that?

#6 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts

Posted Dec 10 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostSaiph, on Dec 10 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

:duh: How did I miss that?

Missed it the first time also. So...

one2fwee,
Thanks for posting the link to probably the only video out there featuring this technique.

Thanks KO Sletten also

Edited by John Woods, Dec 10 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#7 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have the had the Matrox TripleHead2Go box for a number of years and have never had any difficulty running GPL, originally under Windows XP and currently under Windows 10. I'm no expert but I'd be willing to share my experience if it helps in any way.

#8 Nicolas

Nicolas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Rally racing

Posted Dec 18 2018 - 09:31 AM

I still use an old analog TripleHead2Go professionally. It basically acs as eg a single 3072*768 resolution display a far as the graphics card is concerned, but on the other side it spreads the output over 3 VGA conectors so you hook up 3 1024-768 monitors and work triple monitor from 1 computer. Povided your graphics card and software can generate such a resolution. Later they have made them with digital connectors as well. I've never tried it with GPL as the boss thinks it's not relevant. Go figure.

Edited by Nicolas, Dec 18 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#9 KOSletten

KOSletten

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sim Racing

Posted Dec 18 2018 - 10:37 PM

Three computers networked, side monitor computers join race and show "live" replay of driver using modified camera files.

Driver on Computer A, center monitor, sets up as server (optional) and joins multi-player LAN race.
Driver on B, right side monitor, joins race but stays in pits, clicks to Driver A view and selects the Driver A cam that is modified to portray Driver A view to right.
Driver on C, left side monitor, joins race but stays in pits, clicks to Driver A view and selects the Driver A cam that is modified to portray Driver A view to left.

Just guessing.

That's pretty much it

The video is of my old GPL system.....still works too. Just recently resurrected it and got back into sim racing.

Photos from earlier this year.

Three computers each running Win 98SE,

a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64MB video card, 256MB RAM and

maxed out the supported CPUs of the motherboards with some $8 used Athlon XP 2700s.

Wheel is a TSW Modified.

KO

Attached Files

Edited by KOSletten, Dec 18 2018 - 10:45 PM.

#10 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts

Posted Dec 19 2018 - 07:41 AM

So...KO

Welcome to SRMZ!

Great idea and amazing work to get it all dialed-in
Thanks for the details and update

Wow

Edited by John Woods, Dec 19 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#11 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History

Posted Dec 19 2018 - 01:01 PM

A few weeks ago I finally built a proper cockpit for my triple monitor setup. I have had the TripleHead2Go and three monitors for over six years but they`ve always just been set up on my desk. In relation to my Playseat the screens were always too high up and too far away. I also wanted to tidy up the jumble of cables going every which way.

Attached File  Cockpit 1.jpg   132.96K   40 downloadsAttached File  Cockpit 2.jpg   167.21K   40 downloads

The angles of the side monitors are not quite right (45 degrees) but I will tweak that later. They are not as bad as it appears in the picture.

As I said in my earlier post, I have never had any problem with the TripleHead2Go. My recollection is that it was pretty much plug and play.

#12 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts

Posted Dec 19 2018 - 01:35 PM

View Postrobwmack, on Dec 19 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

A few weeks ago I finally built a proper cockpit for my triple monitor setup.

Nice one!

Amazed again

#13 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)

Posted Dec 20 2018 - 08:07 AM

Simple and effective :up:

#14 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 06:06 AM

KOSletten, on Dec 18 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

John Woods, on Dec 10 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

Just guessing.

That's pretty much it

The video is of my old GPL system.....still works too. Just recently resurrected it and got back into sim racing.

Photos from earlier this year.

Three computers each running Win 98SE,

a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 64MB video card, 256MB RAM and

maxed out the supported CPUs of the motherboards with some $8 used Athlon XP 2700s.

Wheel is a TSW Modified.

KO

How are your playing single player then? Or is it possible to add AI to online races (I never tried to create my own so I don't know! :$ )
Hmm I wish this was possible on one machine and proper single player without the hack. Still nice to see though!

robwmack, on Dec 19 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

A few weeks ago I finally built a proper cockpit for my triple monitor setup. I have had the TripleHead2Go and three monitors for over six years but they`ve always just been set up on my desk. In relation to my Playseat the screens were always too high up and too far away. I also wanted to tidy up the jumble of cables going every which way.

Cockpit 1.jpg Cockpit 2.jpg

The angles of the side monitors are not quite right (45 degrees) but I will tweak that later. They are not as bad as it appears in the picture.

As I said in my earlier post, I have never had any problem with the TripleHead2Go. My recollection is that it was pretty much plug and play.

Sadly, this is not proper triple screen. What you have there is a single viewport visible over 3 screens, with a single eyepoint in the centre. This is why things appear so stretched in the side screens.
I did have pictures explaining it in this topic but they seem to have been deleted by postimg (annoying cos they said they kept pictures forever). http://srmz.net/inde...pic=7184&st=140

The "correct" angles for your sidescreens are in fact no angles at all, just one big flat surface. However you might as well keep the screens angled for sims that do support proper triple screen.

What are the ini settings in GPLShift for triple head 2 go? It might actually be possible to do it properly and yet I never realised? :o

One thing both of your have in common is your FOVs are way too high though ;) hahah

#15 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,511 posts

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 08:55 AM

Yes it is possible to add Ai in multi-player mode and on-line thru the server when hosting is set up.

Never done it but there's an iGOR check box for it

#16 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 09:04 AM

Ah okay, thanks :D You learn something new everyday :)

#17 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,882 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 09:14 AM

You can just host in multiplayer mode at home and add all the AI you want.
This way your other PC in the house can connect and you are still play against all AI minus 2 I guess, since they are the ones for the 2 extra PCs :)

#18 KOSletten

KOSletten

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sim Racing

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 08:34 AM

This is copied from the ReadMe that I included with the modified camera files that I used for my 3 monitor setup in 2002.
https://www.youtube....h?v=AYteSA25Q2E

-------------------------------------------------------------------

58FOV_3Mon

Place each of the cam files in their respective folders
for both of the client computers.

The way it works is, 3 computers are networked, the center computer hosts a multiplayer
race and the other 2 computers join the race.  Then you switch the left and right computers
to full screen live "replay" for your center driver (you) and select the appropriate modified
camera view.  "Front suspension" is for the left view and "Rear suspension" is the right view.

These cam files are tweaked for my system.
21 inch center monitor at 1600 x 1200
19 inch side monitors at 1280 x 1024
-------------------------------------------------
I am using cars from the GPLEA,
Bruce's Brab and Lotus v2, and Volker's Cooper.
The FOV I am using is 58 degrees.
GPLSA Driving View Editor settings for each car:
---------
Brab - Bruce Johnson
x -0.2500
y................. +0.0000 for all cars
z +0.2330

BRM - GPLEA
x -0.2230
z +0.1800

Coop - Volker Holz
x -0.2500
z +0.2300

Eag - GPLEA
x -0.1220
z +0.3120

Fer - GPLEA 36v
x -0.0020
z +0.3400

Honda -GPLEA
x -0.1250
z +0.3050

Lotus - Bruce Johnson v2
x -0.1750
y +0.2550

Your results may vary with your POV, distance from,
angle of, and size of monitors.....see 3mon.jpg...
When I took this photo the camera was not at my normal
driving eye level, hence objects appear misaligned.

I have tried to get a good "flow" from monitor to monitor
with straight converging lines to the vanishing point.
This makes the horizontal lines a little wacko, but
what the heck.

----------------------------------------------------
Utilities used:

GPLCarCamEditor   http://www.fortuneci...erworld/3d/797/

FOVed  http://home.new.rr.c...toned/index.htm

GPLSA   http://home.swbell.net/gmsmiley/

GEM+   http://www.manau.force9.co.uk
---------------------------------------------------------
Mauritz Lindqvist instructions and camera files

http://w1.111.telia....3mongplv1_1.zip

----------------------------------------------------------
March, 2002
K.O.Sletten

===========================================================================================

I got my first hand-me-down computer about six months before GPL was released and it's been almost non-stop upgrades since.

All my computers are custom home-built by me.  The main computer is an Athlon XP 1900+ on an EPOX 8K7A motherboard with 512 Mb DDR RAM, Voodoo5 5500 and a Geforce4 4600ti video cards, Sound Blaster Audigy sound card, Western Digital 40Gb and 20Gb HDDs, Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller, Plextor 12/10/32a CDR/RW, 3Com NIC, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers and a Sony 520GS 21" monitor.

The side view computers are identical 1.2Ghz Athlon on an ECS K7S5a motherboard with built-in sound and NIC, WD 20Gb  HDD, 256Mb DDR RAM, Voodoo5 5500 and Samsung 955DF 19" monitors.

The 3 computers are networked through a D-Link 8 port switch, and I use an IOGear Miniview SE KVM switch to switch between the 3 computers so I only need 1 mouse and keyboard to control all three.

My racing controller is the TSW2 Modified hooked to the gameport on the SB Audigy.

I usually run the center monitor at 1600 x 1200 and the side monitors at 1280 x 1024 resolution.  I have modified and tweaked the car camera files to give a smooth transition from one monitor to the next (from my POV and using a 58 degree FOV).  The effect is awesome, in my opinion anyway.  It essentially gives you a 42" semi-wraparound monitor that you have to see in action to fully appreciate it.
If you have a good internet connection it even works online....though some might not like you taking up 3 spots on the grid.

******Hardware update******

..........................I no longer use the dual boot, dual OS, dual video card system....things
went really wacko and I could never get it to work again after I had a HDD go bad.

My "new" dedicated Grand Prix Legends system consists of two identical boxes with an
ECS K7S5A mobo, Athlon 1.2 GHz, 256MB PC2100 DDR, Voodoo5 5500 for the left and right views.
The GPL server/center box has an Epox 8K7A mobo, Athlon XP 1900+, 256MB PC2100
SB Audigy and a Voodoo5 5500.  All 3 computers are running Win98SE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links