• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 09:11 AM

Okay everybody. Bit of a long story but I'll try my best to keep it short.

Earlier this year I requisitioned and refurbished, my brother's laptop. I reinstalled the OS (Vista 32bit) and updated all the appropiate drivers and relevant OS systems. The laptop was really buzzing as well as all singing and dancing.

I've put on various games, like F1 Challenge 99-02, as well as  GPL67. When I last played and used the laptop (about 2-3 months back) GPL was running great, then all of a sudden, began to be frappy and slow with gpl. Opening up the laptop ( after sometime away), I find out that I still have the same issue.

My problem is during training mode and sat in the pits, the fraps range (prib display) between 32-36 FPS and sometimes lower. When I get out on the track, the fraps change from high fps to low and up and down  So it will drop low and the car will be barely moving at all and going back up to going 30+ FPS. This results in you approaching a corner, FPS dropping down low, then back up to fast. You then come off the track, onto the grass, or even worse. Really is annoying. It feels like there is something running in the background (programme) slowing, gagging, bottlenecking and holding the game back. I put in a new HDD, which is spinning noisely and working overtime.

The laptop as Intel graphics on board ( not sure of model) and machine is from about 2008, with Vista 32 bit OS.

It's just a basic lappy, that you may have on your breakfast bar. Maybe the laptop is not good enough? Specs later, as I won't be near it, until later today, or even tomorrow?  

All other games installed, pre 2008, work well and have no issues. That makes me believe, that it could be a GPL issue? I have put the 55 mod in too and that as similar issues too. Spa 67 track is also installed, with light graphics and again the track works just fine. But FPS drop the same way as if I was at another track such as Monza.

I haven't tried updating the graphics card yet. What I have tried is reinstalled GPL, with the 1.08 installer and again just the original 67 game.

I've altered the graphic settings in gem, such as lower resolution, number of sounds, basic buffer, no 32 bit graphics, no vsync or antialising, as well as trying both openglv2 and direct 3dv2 graphics. Without any positive improvement.

I've also rebuilt the 67exe in gem. Turned of antivirus and as I said turned of loads of things in gem, such as dynamic lighting or specular highlights?

Any ideas and pointers, to help solve my issue, would be great.

Thanks 👍

TP: 😁

Edited by twinpotter, Dec 08 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#2 Cannylad

Cannylad

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL, P&G, rFactor HistoriX, Music, Gardening, Classic car restoration, Fixing things.

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 09:44 AM

If it's something running in the background, 'AUTORUNS' is an excellent Microsoft utility for finding it.
https://docs.microso...nloads/autoruns

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,889 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 11:10 AM

"I put in a new HDD, which is spinning noisely and working overtime." This sounds a bit strange. Once GPL has loaded (especially track textures), and you're out on the track, there shouldn't be much load on the HDD at all. I get the feeling that maybe this laptop doesn't have much RAM, and that the slowdown may be caused by Windows moving stuff back & forth to the swap file on the HDD. But that's just an educated guess. Also, an Intel graphics chipset, especially if it's from 2008, probably isn't the best thing for running GPL. I know GPL is pretty light on hardware usually, but I think you may be pushing your luck a little. But then again, you say GPL was running fine when you first installed it? It's very puzzling. It would be good if you could get some more detail on the specs.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,338 posts

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 11:14 AM

I've got a low-end computer for hosting GPL races and for the on-board graphics I use GMABooster designed for Intel chips. You might try that.

http://www.gmabooster.com/home.htm

Edited by Bob Simpson, Dec 08 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#5 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 108 posts

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 11:52 AM

Shot in the dark,  did you try "disable intel speedstep" in the GEM options (configure button) to keep the processor/graphics from throttling down?

Edited by rcb, Dec 08 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,485 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 08 2018 - 01:01 PM

@ Saiph. I may be unintentional misleading on HD?It's noisy like clunk noise as if it's looking for something. I'll check whether it's when during the game or when not!
As far as Ram it needs upgrading(one thing I was to do) but from what I've already found out on that, I can't go a lot higher, plus the memory sticks are hard to trace and need some routing around to find. Regarding the swap file isn't there something you can do for that, if I remember from my annals, to make it more performance based, but at the offset of stability?

@ Canny lad and Bob, thanks for those links. Will have a look at them and see if it makes a difference?

rcb I'm not sure.
Will check the latter along with the specs, when I next open the lappy up. Either later today, or tomorrow. Then report back a.s.a.p.

Thanks all for your help and pointers 👍👍

TP: 😁

Edited by twinpotter, Dec 08 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,485 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 09 2018 - 05:29 AM

So a little update.

Went on the laptop UK last night and I think it's sorted.

Thanks rcb 👍 for disable Intel speedstep in gem. Wasn't ticked, so after doing it, it seems much better.

Will do some more checks later and if this thread stays up, will report back. But for now thank you for all your help and info. Your all ✨✨

TO: 😁👍

Edited by twinpotter, Dec 09 2018 - 05:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links