- - - - -

Want Original Sounds After Installing With Gplps Installer, Bug?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 03:12 AM

Hiho chaps,

Long time no see! (1.5 decades to be precise)..  Hope all of you are doing great and that the worst that has happened to us is the appearance of an increasing number of grey hairs.. :-)

Since GPL is now 20 years old I kinda want to revisit it for some nostalgia. Of course mods made GPL great, but I want to go back to 1998 so that means no mods! Just Dx7 or OpenGL to make it work on my 'modern' PC.

Using the GPLPS installer is easy, but I think there is a bug when you don't install the custom sounds. You can't assign controls or click 'ahead' to load the track. Putting custom wav files in the sounds folder makes it work. With just the original sound.dat file in there, it doesn't work.

I guess this is because originally GPL didn't have unique sounds for all of the cars, and some patch made it possible to load WAV files for each car. I think this patch is applied even if you only install GPL 1.2.0.2 without any extra's in the GPLPS installer. Then it can't find the WAV files and refuses to work.

Anyway, I would most like to have the original sounds (poor as they are..) back in there. I guess I either have to somehow reverse this car sound patch, or unpack the sound.dat file somehow and make copies of the original sounds for each car...

Any tips how I can achieve this pure old school stock sound GPL experience?

Thanks,
Niels Heusinkveld

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 04:58 AM

Niels...Niels?
Wow, welcome back!

Just at guess...sometimes I am completely wrong.
Ask Remco.
:P

As you suggest, unpack the sound dat using winmip2 or doodat and that's it.
http://srmz.net/inde...19

Most use the first version 2B16.

Also, another guess...think its best to use DX9c, (came with N2003), rather than 7 which iirc might work but not well.

Thanks for everything btw all the best.
:D

Edited by John Woods, Oct 23 2018 - 05:10 AM.

#3 Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:14 AM

Hi John,

It is slowly coming back to me.. The CarSound patch!  Upon further reading, this patch is applied to GPL when you install it using the handy GPLPS installer that I used. The bug is that the installer allows you to install the game without custom sounds, which breaks the game because the CarSound patch doesn't work with the standard sound.dat.

I will see if the CarSound patch can be reversed, or if not, extract the original WAV files from the sound.dat and copy them over for the 7 cars..

I'll probably figure it out..

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,457 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:29 AM

Hopefully real sound experts and a DX expert will show up and help us all.
There was an earlier interest in running the OEM GPL in a World Cup.

Lately feeling a whisper campaign to get on-line track experience.

Sure you would be welcome at any league's open practice sessions and as you may note, GPLPS places VROC and iGOR icons on the desktop so the racelist and being on track with real people really racing, (better follow real rules), is maybe four ez clicks away.

The racelist is open 24/7.
Join anytime.

Edited by John Woods, Oct 23 2018 - 05:31 AM.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:31 AM

Yes, you need to do that last thing you said :)
Extract the car sound in the DAT then copy 7 times and rename it as the sounds for the 7 cars (bra. brm. cov. eag. fer. lot. mur.wav) . Keep everything in the sound folder.

#6 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:31 AM

The easiest solution is to extract the original sounds from the .dat.

Ginetto beat me to it.  :)

Actually, it's a little more complicated.

The original gpl.exe file uses engine sounds hidden in the sound.dat file that is automatically installed in the gpl/sound directory.  Although there are seven F1 cars, the sound.dat file only contains five F1 sounds and a single F2/F3 sound.  The Brabham shares its sound with the Honda and the Eagle shares its sound with the Lotus.  All cars share a sixth sound for F2 and F3, but it is played at different maximum rpms.  The sound file names are "repco.wav" (Brabham/Honda), "brmh16.wav" (BRM), "weslake.wav" (Cooper), "cosworth.wav" (Eagle/Lotus), "ferrari.wav" (Ferrari), and "f2f3.wav" (F2/F3).  Strangely, the Cooper uses the "weslake.wav" sound and the Eagle uses the "cosworth.wav" sound!

To provide a separate sound for each F1 car, Nigel Pattinson developed the CarSound patch.  This patch modifies the gpl.exe file to use seven different F1 sounds, but still uses a single sound for F2 and F3.  To prevent conflict with the original sound file names, Nigel started a new file naming convention.  The sound file names are "bra.wav" (Brabham), "brm.wav" (BRM), "cov.wav" (Cooper), "eag.wav" (Eagle), "fer.wav" (Ferrari), "lot.wav" (Lotus), "mur.wav" (Honda), and "f2f3.wav" (F2/F3).  Later, GEM+ included the CarSound patch as an option.

So you need to extract the original five F1 sounds then rename them to the seven CarSound sound file names.

Edited by Lee200, Oct 23 2018 - 06:28 AM.

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,457 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:53 AM

Amazing.

What about the DX thing?

:D

Edited by John Woods, Oct 23 2018 - 06:32 AM.

#8 Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 06:44 AM

Thanks guys, I expect to be able to get those old sounds back in.

John, I'm going to enjoy a few misty eyed evenings of GPL, even trying to order a Thrustmaster T2 that I'll convert to USB for the complete (fairly terrible..) experience.. :-)
But I don't expect to stick around too long.  While GPL was amazing for its time, as a physics guy I always go back to Automobilista (which has some 67 cars as well) as it just has a more developed and detailed physics engine..

Having it running is nice though, together with DosBox I can play all those old games, hopefully with a functional Thrustmaster T2 to boot!

#9 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 07:08 AM

Lee200, on Oct 23 2018 - 05:31 AM, said:

To provide a separate sound for each F1 car, Nigel Pattinson developed the CarSound patch.  This patch modifies the gpl.exe file to use seven different F1 sounds, but still uses a single sound for F2 and F3.  To prevent conflict with the original sound file names, Nigel started a new file naming convention.  The sound file names are "bra.wav" (Brabham), "brm.wav" (BRM), "cov.wav" (Cooper), "eag.wav" (Eagle), "fer.wav" (Ferrari), "lot.wav" (Lotus), "mur.wav" (Honda), and "f2f3.wav" (F2/F3).  Later, GEM+ included the CarSound patch as an option.
This is some very valuable info, thanks for explaining!
-------------------
As for GPL's physics, in my opinion, still one of the best among the modern sims. Although I don't know much about what real physics is going on, but the amount details you can get from GPL cars are amazing for a '98 sim (comparing to RF2 or AC for example, and I do love all those sims). Especially GPL's tyre physics feels good and natural, with very controllable sliding/drifting, like in live for speed(a sim I've played the most for last decade due to great tyre feedback)
-------------------
Edit: here is a simple batch file to save some trouble and time, it takes care of copy/rename according to lee's post: Attached File  orginialsoundrenaming.zip   291bytes   3 downloads
(Just extract and put bat file along with the original sound files extracted from sound.dat and run (check with notepad if not sure what's inside). You can extract sound.dat with DATman v1.2 as well http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3497 )

Edited by SV3000, Oct 23 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#10 Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 03:25 PM

Haha yay! Thanks for those links and tips, the original sounds are back in place and sound strangely familiar!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links