#1 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 02:03 AM

Hi guys. Last night my Windows 7 made some automatic upgrades without asking me if i wanted it or not. When I went to play GPL early on, I found out that I had all my steering wheel, gear, throtle and brakes all messed up. I could easily restore all control settings on rFactor, (two installs) GTR2 and P&G. But GPL refuses to recognise the G27. Any ideas to help me bring back the G27 back to life ?

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,831 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 03:34 AM

I advice you to do a System Restore:
Frm the desktop click start then in the writing box put "System Restore" then click on it and go back to a restore point that was created before the update.

Then go in the windows update and change settings; get rid of automatic update; you can choose "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" or any other option but automatic install (the first option from top).
I got rid of it completely and select "never check for updates" and every month DL manually the monthly "Security-only update" from HERE, that's safe, no telemetry BS added and no problem whatsoever.
MS changed the update policy for WIN7 and releases updates for it just the second tuesday of every month so you don't need automatic updates always on. :)

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 04:12 AM

Yes!
I strongly recommend to do what Ginetto suggests! Look for the last or best restore point.

For german Win 7-10 user there is this page to get updates: http://winfuture.de/UpdatePack

I too do never let W check for updates...

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,863 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 06:20 AM

Interesting. Just out of curiosity I've checked my Win10 PC and I don't appear to have any option to turn off automatic updates. Knowing Micro$oft's track record, perhaps I should have expected that.

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 08:33 AM

Recently lost my dedicated Win7 Grand Prix Legends tower of several years with no issues.
It was always off-line.

A few weeks ago cable company upgraded my internet box to one with four hard line jacks and with the GPL World Cup coming up thought I'd try getting it on-line and see if I could get everything in order and at least enter the qualifying.

Installed PC Matic and had to re-boot, which sent Windows into an auto update routine the computer could not handle.

It would lock up with the message "configuring Windows...do not turn off your computer," and would sit there like that for as long as I could stand it, up to a half-hour or so before trying a hard re-boot which never worked because it continued to lock up every time.

The tech said my MB was fried and there was no hope for it, so now have a new PC, (built with used parts except the GPU and the hard drive).

As soon as it was hooked to net Windows went into update routine and it locked up too!

But the second or third hard re-boot was successful and the first thing done was select "never, never, ever, under any circumstances check for updates."

Plus it took some time (days) to get the DFGT working properly, (no idea how I did that). It thought it was centered at about 10 o'clock, FFB seemed at max force, had a million degrees of rotation despite setting, and GPL would recognize throttle and brake but the wheel could not be assigned. New drivers had no effect. Finally after lots of fiddling it just started working

Thanks for the tip Ginetto about just getting the security updates only.

Got to love it.
:D

Edited by John Woods, Feb 15 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#6 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostSaiph, on Feb 15 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

...my Win10 PC and I don't appear to have any option to turn off automatic updates.

Because there is no such option in W10. You'd need third party tools for that. You can delay updates.

I'd suggest not to turn off automatic updates (on all win-versions) but to set it to updates just for the system, not for drivers. I've seen too many malware-infected machines with deactivated updates from folks who were afraid MS spies on them.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,472 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 11:00 AM

@Saiph. Try :

https://www.oo-softw...com/en/shutup10

TP:

#8 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 02:31 PM

Thank you very much guys for all the help.
Ginetto, i´ll do what you said. let´s see if it cures the problem. I thought about it last night, but first i wanted to ask you guys for directions
I´ll do the restore and i´ll be back to tell you if it worked.

#9 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,933 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 02:35 PM

View PostYngwie, on Feb 15 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Because there is no such option in W10. You'd need third party tools for that. You can delay updates.

I'd suggest not to turn off automatic updates (on all win-versions) but to set it to updates just for the system, not for drivers. I've seen too many malware-infected machines with deactivated updates from folks who were afraid MS spies on them.

This is also my experience.
As long as you only allow Windows updates it is fine (at least it always was on my systems, I never had any trouble with activated Windows updates on Windows 95, 98, XP, 7, 10),
but I do NOT recommend to activate driver updates as Windows may not give you the best fitting drivers for your hardware. You better update hardware drivers at the manufacturer homepage.
Once I had the problem that Pribluda did not work anymore on Windows 10 after a big Windows 10 Anniversary update, but one of the next updates fixed that again and Pribluda was working again.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 15 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#10 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 05:34 PM

It works !!!!.....Thank you very much guys

#11 Pedro L Ramalho

Pedro L Ramalho

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Historic Formula 1

Posted Feb 17 2018 - 09:02 AM

Good job guys! Very important subject... Glad that it's solved, Chris.

So, following Ginetto and Cookie recommendation, if we select "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", then which type of updates shall we permit to install when asked about it?

Or it's better to simply never let Windows check for updates?

(I have too now a dedicated PC to run GPL with Windows 7, so GPL it's the only thing that I need to work, as well as the G25 Wheel)

Thanks/ pedro

#12 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,831 posts

Posted Feb 17 2018 - 12:23 PM

If you have a win 7, I advise to install the updates manually as I wrote in my post above; you don't need anything else since win 7 is not developed anymore and no function are added since a few years now.
The things that keep the system safe are only the security updates which are not seen in the windows update window.
The windows update gives you the option to install the montly rollup which contains the security patches plus a bunch of , let me use the word, a pile of cr@p not needed or wanted by anyone but MS to have on your system. This montly rollup is usually 100 - 200 MB or more bigger than the security only and this every month.

As I said above,  I don't check anymore windows updates for updates since they stop developing Windows 7 but once a month I go to win7 help forum and get the security-only update that they post direct link for both 32 or 64 bits systems and install it manually.

Obviously you don't have to go on p@rn or hacking sites without extra protections if you want to keep your  system clean or even open every email sent from whatever magician (use the properties > details> message source eventually if you have doubts that the message could be real) but this is a very well known behavior I hope everyone adopt. :)

#13 simmer

simmer

simmer

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:sim racing photography

Posted Feb 17 2018 - 12:58 PM

My G 27 is not working with all my modern sims, rfactor 2, and Automobilista beta and the regular install as well. But guess what-  the generic driver that windows 10 replaced my G 27 with, works just fine in GPL...A 20 year old sim, who said GPL is too old?
  I have heard of people calling Logitech support and get a replacement of a new G 29 or G 920 so I'm calling tomorrow.

#14 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Feb 17 2018 - 02:18 PM

My bad experience of Windows 10 updates screwing up Logitech is documented here.  In case it helps anybody trying to solve a similar problem.

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11856

#15 Pedro L Ramalho

Pedro L Ramalho

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted Feb 17 2018 - 04:49 PM

Thank you (again) Ginetto!
I already changed my options to install the updates manually, as you recommend.
Only in the win7 help forum that you refer, I'm not findind very obvious where to discover in all those topics the "security-only update"...

#16 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Feb 18 2018 - 05:02 AM

Well, for example, it's the very first topic on their "normal threads" list, is it not? The one with the latest, February 13th security update. Go into it and below description there are links for 32 and 64 bit version installers.

#17 Pedro L Ramalho

Pedro L Ramalho

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted Feb 19 2018 - 03:53 PM

Thank you Art-J. It is certainly that, yes.

#18 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,831 posts

Posted Feb 19 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostPedro L Ramalho, on Feb 17 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

Only in the win7 help forum that you refer, I'm not findind very obvious where to discover in all those topics the "security-only update"...
The first post of the normal threads list has the February 13, 2018 - KB4074587 (Security-only update) Windows
Every month they do a thread like this so is quite easy to get it :)

#19 simmer

simmer

simmer

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:sim racing photography

Posted Feb 19 2018 - 04:02 PM

LOL, I just put my G27 in the trash bin...ordered a Thrustmaster 300 RS GT. Sad what Windows 10 has done, Quite a few company's drivers are obsolete with no fix in sight.
                        I was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway.

#20 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,831 posts

Posted Feb 19 2018 - 04:07 PM

:rolleyes: I did quite the opposite; since I use my computer just for home, fun and hobbies, I did trash my win 10 and went back to win 7 being able to utilize everything I was used to :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links