Posted Jan 24 2018 - 09:08 AM

I'm happy.  The scrambled eggs finally came out just right this morning !!!  :D

#17 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 09:20 AM

Would love to see some more development of track building tools plus game patches to allow new things in the game:

More surface types with appropriate grip levels and sounds: gravel, cobbles, smooth paving, timber bridges etc. Customizable :)

New section types: T junction, crossroads, lane merges, bridges over, bridges under, and other things that are currently hard to achieve using just straight and corner sections. The underlying physics would still be made of simple corners and straights but graphically would make these types of junctions easier.

Smoother apexes: GPL needs more polys on the inside of corners, it's one of the few things on newer tracks that gives clues that this is a very old game.

More complex barrier types: underlying physics would still be the simple walls we have now, but graphically would allow you to build better detailed armco, wooden fences, walls with 3d coping stones on the top, sloping walls / embankments etc.

Some kind of water texture: although that would probably need reflections and a new rendering engine!

More traces: very difficult to build any track with just 16 elevation traces to define all the levels of the whole track and surroundings. Would maybe allow for cambered road with enough curves without messing up the physics? Probably not :D

I don't know if any of this is possible, it's amazing that anyone was able to figure out how to make the tools we have :bravo: ..... but some of them are quite difficult to get to grips with, and they focus on using the features already in the game instead of adding new ones :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Jan 24 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#18 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jan 24 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

All you need now is perfect bacon. :)

#19 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 10:40 AM

1970 or 1971 Prototypes  (3 or 4 of my all time favorite cars)

The ability to have more than 19 entrants in online races.

#20 niki

niki

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 11:12 AM

1) 1968 Mod
2) Sport car mod 1970 and 1973

#21 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 11:20 AM

For me is grafical perfectness secondary, only more fps than 36 are important.
Also if the cars look like in 67 or 69 or 55... is secondary for me, because I have only interest in online racing and it would happen now - in 2018 (if I would drive GPL anymore).
And there are a lot of tracks and enough are stable.

Why I haven't interest in GPL anymore?

1. At many tracks it's easy to cut corners So online racing is like playing volleyball without playing field or racing in todays formula one without race comissioners. And check points works at the most tracks suboptional. I remember "especially" races, i.e. at mexico: More than the half of the participants was been disqualified from gpl.
Essential it should be the job of admins to control the drivers.
2. I don't like ShiftR races, it's totally unrealistic. And I don't like PRO races when after five laps are only a few drives in the race. I'm not against ShiftR totally, but there should be perceptily consequences.

Already there are solutions for 1 and 2.
But unfortunately for me...it seems nobody else see this fundamental problems.

BR Olaf

Edit:

1+

Edited by Olaf Lehmann, Jan 24 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#22 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 12:02 PM

+2

#23 Ernesto Mayer

Ernesto Mayer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Races, races and races...

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostOlaf Lehmann, on Jan 24 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

1. At many tracks it's easy to cut corners So online racing is like playing volleyball without playing field or racing in todays formula one without race comissioners. And check points works at the most tracks suboptional. I remember "especially" races, i.e. at mexico: More than the half of the participants was been disqualified from gpl.
Essential it should be the job of admins to control the drivers.

On this subject, I unfortunately have to agree with you.
I used to race a lot online, not just GPL (rFactor, Nascar 2003 and GTR2) and the big problem was that very few drivers cares about track partners. A friend of mine in a particular league even commented one time: "I wish that in virtual races people behaved as if they were in real races." It is very frustrating to practice for hours to find a good setup and, seconds after the start, to be put off the track by someone who does not care what happens or who surpasses you outside the limits of the track. That's why I quit race online.
So today, I spend hours and hours in front of the computer, admiring the wonderful graphics of the GPL cockpits and I go round and round on the tracks alone, in hot laps with myself or sometimes in offline races against the AI ​​(which is not perfect as well, but the incidents are to me more acceptable because it does not have the human element).
But I love car races and as I am now too old and too short of money to be a real pilot, I satisfy myself with simulators, especially GPL.

About the subject of the post, I would love to see F1 1971 (who knows MOD 71 for GTR2?) and MOD 1937 (mostly because of the Auto Union Type C).

Edited by Ernesto Mayer, Jan 24 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#24 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 12:59 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jan 24 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

:roflmao: :lol1: :clap: I'm so eggcited for you Greg!

Seriously though I'm very happy with the way GPL is. I do have some favourite cars I would love to see in GPL, but creating an entire mod for GPL is a massive amount of work - hell, even a single track takes an amazing amount of effort. So I wouldn't like to put any of our modders under any more pressure. I'm just really pleased when we get something new in GPL.

The only thing that worries me is the amount of people we have lost from the GPL modding community over recent years. Only Lee seems to have the expertise to patch the GPL code now. Many other car modellers and track makers have also drifted away from GPL. There even seems to be a little difficulty finding people with enough time to do the admin work for the GPL websites. I just hope the community can keep going.

(P.S. As evidence of my long-term addiction to this.... Sim? Game? Life??.... Today my GPLStats program is telling me that, over all mods and all GPL tracks, I have a total of 6,666 different laptimes from testing, practice and races. Let's see if I can make it to 10,000!) :hithead: :woot: :D

Edited by Saiph, Jan 24 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#25 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 01:46 PM

This is purely a wish list, I have no expectations of modders other than what they choose to release...

1 High fps AI
2 1970 F1
3 1968 Can Am
4 Sudschleife
5 >19 cars

#26 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Jan 24 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

"...........Smoother apexes: GPL needs more polys on the inside of corners, it's one of the few things on newer tracks that gives clues that this is a very old game.

This functionality is already in GPL and explained in the track making tutorial. There is NO REASON to put up with angular / blocky corners in GPL.  Never was!

If a corner apex looks too blocky, use these solutions, in order, until the corner looks smooth.

1. Split the corner into two equal parts which doubles the amount of polys.

2. Open Wall "0" and use unk 4 4096 value.

3. Open Wall "0" and use unk 4 2048 value. Be careful with this one as the number of polys is increased by a factor of 5 for that section. Can cause issues with frame rates and TV Cam freezes if you use too much of this.

Sometimes a corner will look smooth in the driving view but blocky in a TV Cam view. I think that has something to do with your detail bias settings, or perhaps just the amount of zoom in TV1 and TV2 Cam Settings by the track maker..

If you are making videos, try using max detail bias.

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jan 25 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#27 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 02:51 PM

@Lee
Thanks for the links.

First let me give ultimate respect to all modders and members. I wish I could do more to help mod and improve GPL. But as I have said a thousand times before. I just don't have the talent to do so.

Regarding the present pit stops patch (which is great) I always wanted a damage repair option. I know that pit crews (especially back in the day) and probably today,can only do so much. But a scrape on a barrier/wall, depending on percentage, could be prepared. A bigger brush then reduces the percentage chance of repair and so on. I know and realise that this could be impossible to code.

My global hype tool idea was pointing towards, instead of altering manually the latter (to help novice drivers) to instead have a tool or mod that can automatically set it to a driver's level. Again I know the parameters of this and the possibilities of this could be complex and impossible. I am also aware of the way to slow or speed up drivers through gem. But I think I am right in saying that this is not the only affective way of doing this and doesn't work with the 67s.

I know some people may disagree of the latter, instead preferring to challenge GPL in its true form and is therefore the real way of playing the game. But having said that of all the years of been into gpl I have never attempted to alter the global hype. Apologies if I am talking out of term and about the wrong setting. Also pardon my ignorance and lack of knowledge. 👍😀

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 24 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#28 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 04:13 PM

View PostSaiph, on Jan 24 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

The only thing that worries me is the amount of people we have lost from the GPL modding community over recent years. Only Lee seems to have the expertise to patch the GPL code now. Many other car modellers and track makers have also drifted away from GPL. There even seems to be a little difficulty finding people with enough time to do the admin work for the GPL websites. I just hope the community can keep going.

Hi Saiph and I agree with you.  We've had many talented people contribute to GPL over the last 20 years, but sadly many have moved on to other pursuits or racing sims.  Fortunately, we still have a very small core of modders who will probably pass away before GPL does.  :)

For better or worse, I'm about the only guy left who can patch the GPL .exe to provide enhancements to the basic sim.  I do my best, but am not a professional programmer so many desired enhancements are beyond my ability.

The good news is that I work for free.  :)

Edited by Lee200, Jan 24 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#29 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 04:18 PM

Twinpotter, I tried to add repairs to the PitStop patch, but could not do so.  The gpl.exe is complicated code and repairing things like suspension damage was beyond my ability.  :(

I still don't understand what you want in a Global Hype tool.  ???

#30 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 24 2018 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Lee for your much appreciated hard work.

My pitstop idea could be seen as a strange request. I don't know, historically, how much the mechanics did and what was possible and achievable, when a damaged car came in to pit. During the race. All the hammers and spanners in the world may not have helped the situation 🤔

On the global hype, I think I got it wrong. Looking at Johnny A's recent thread, I was more looking at the feature dlong_speed_adj_coeff or npt override.

👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 24 2018 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links