#1 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

This may seem like a strange question but...

After practising and practising etc etc on and off for the past 12 months or so..........I don't seem to improve much against the original 1967 AI cars in GPL.

Along comes the 1955 mod and without much practice I am able to compete. That is, I can usually get into the top 10 in most races unless I muck up, and with some really good driving and no mistakes I can challenge the top 6.

My question is why? Yeah, I know, weird question to be asking :huh: .

1. Is it that the AI in the 1955 mod isn't very good?
2. Is it that the AI in the original 1967 isn't very good?
3. Is it that the 1955 cars are actually easier to drive?
4. Is it that set up plays a really big part in driving faster in the original 1967 cars and not so much in the 1955 cars? Bearing in mind that I still haven't got my head around set up - the only thing I ever do is set the steering ratio and tyre camber.

I would be interested to hear of others' experiences and how they saw improvements in their own driving.

Edited by EzaBlade, Jan 22 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#2 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 08:41 AM

In my findings the AI for the 55 mod are definitely slower overall. At most tracks I am easily able to place in the top 3 with the default settings. I have found that there are really only 5 or 6 drivers that run a competitive time for each race, and the end of the field is much much slower. Changing some of the track specific values will get them more inline with the 67s, but the field spread still seems much larger.

I actually think it is pretty accurate. The Mercedes were blisteringly quick and left everyone else in the dust.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,413 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:01 AM

The 67 cars are harder to drive than the 55 cars. The 67 AI are faster than the 55 AI. It's as simple as that and setups are not the answer.

The AI can be beat with the default setups if we're talking about a full GP. If we're talking about a shorter race than take out some fuel in the default setup. Nothing else needs to be done to the setup.

I'm talking about the default Papy 67 cars and AI. Not the Historical V2.

#4 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:10 AM

EzaBlade, if the '55 AI are too slow for you, just speed them up a bit with GEM+'s AI Speed setting.

See here for more info:

http://gplmotorworks...ype-System.html

Jxeboy is right...there was a pretty big spread between the fastest and slowest drivers/cars in '55 and the mod reflects that.

#5 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

The 67 cars are harder to drive than the 55 cars. The 67 AI are faster than the 55 AI. It's as simple as that and setups are not the answer.

The AI can be beat with the default setups if we're talking about a full GP. If we're talking about a shorter race than take out some fuel in the default setup. Nothing else needs to be done to the setup.

I'm talking about the default Papy 67 cars and AI. Not the Historical V2.

Oh dear I need to be practising some more then :D , but I am glad to hear that setups are not as important as it sometimes seems when reading elsewhere. I just need to get on it!

I see you mention the historical cars - are they harder to beat?

Edited by EzaBlade, Jan 22 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#6 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:43 AM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 22 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

In my findings the AI for the 55 mod are definitely slower overall. At most tracks I am easily able to place in the top 3 with the default settings. I have found that there are really only 5 or 6 drivers that run a competitive time for each race, and the end of the field is much much slower. Changing some of the track specific values will get them more inline with the 67s, but the field spread still seems much larger.

I actually think it is pretty accurate. The Mercedes were blisteringly quick and left everyone else in the dust.

Yeah - I'm finding that. Thanks for the reply ;)

View PostLee200, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

EzaBlade, if the '55 AI are too slow for you, just speed them up a bit with GEM+'s AI Speed setting.

See here for more info:

http://gplmotorworks...ype-System.html

Jxeboy is right...there was a pretty big spread between the fastest and slowest drivers/cars in '55 and the mod reflects that.

Thanks for that link. One day maybe I will want to tweak them. I'm not complaining at the moment that they are slow though :D . I'm quite enjoying having a few cars in and around me, which I can't manage consistently in other mods.

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,277 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 05:24 PM

If you have not tweaked the AI at all the "global hype scaling" routine will gradually place you in the middle of the pack and from then on adjust the AI speed to keep you there.

So you could be getting a little quicker and not so much realize it.
You can turn this feature off and set AI according to Lee's Tutorial and your own opinion.

GPL is a simulator within a game. In the middle of the pack there is an AI driver in front and in back to play with and compete.
If you would rather be near the front, tweak the AI or get better.

:D

#8 Keyser Zose

Keyser Zose

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Feb 15 2018 - 04:50 PM

Ezablade

In every track.ini file you find a line that reads

dlong_speed_adj_coeff = 1.050

Increasing this number makes the AI faster and vice versa. You dont need much adjustment before they are much faster or slower though so take it in small steps. This nr here I would maybe overwrite with 1.100 if I wanted an increase in pace of say a sec pr lap on avg with the AI.

Improvement comes in small doses in gpl. I use the replay analyzer alot. I compare my laps to quicker drivers and look at line choices , sector times etc. Also riding inboard with quicker drivers can give you ideas. And your gonna need to get going with the set up. Its not that bad as it seems. Search for Chris Lockey`s stuff , he has got a good guide to setting up the car. Try one thing at a time and see if you feel any difference in performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links