FJBH10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport Engineering
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 04:48 AM

Hello all,

How would you go about changing the names, photos and performance of drivers in GPL? Can it be done without any specific software? I ask as I have been wondering whether I could use the GPL '55 mod to make, for example, a '54 mod or a '56 mod, just change the drivers and tracks and disable certain cars and you could make a few extra seasons, right? Let me know if this is doable.

FJBH10

#2 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hello FJBH10,

GPL takes the information about which drivers are entered for each race from the driver initialisation file, which for the 55 mod is called driv55.ini (I think). You will find a different version of this file in each of the tracks that have races from 1955. This file contains a list of the drivers and specifies some of their attributes.

Each driver in the file must be numbered in sequence, e.g. [ driver_1 ] then [ driver_2 ], if the sequence is broken then drivers after the break won't appear. There can be up to 19 drivers, but it may contain fewer.

Some important parameters:
team_number = specifies which car the driver drives (I don't know the numbers for 1955 but you can work them out from existing driv55.ini files)
team_order = the preference for that driver within that team
car_number = the racing number on the car (but note, this does not change the graphics)
nationality = this defines the driver's nationality (search the forum for 'Country Flags In Gpl' to find a list)
helmet_color = this is mentioned in the same thread you will find above

aggression, alertness, experience, hype, qualifying, quickness, smoothness and magic_grip affect how the AI drivers drive. If you can find it, there is a superb pdf by Lee Bowden called GPL AI Tutorial that explains how they work. I always set the last 3 to be 1. Hype is the most important for varying how fast the AI drives.

So, you can build your own ini file very easily to create different grids. I do it all the time. But there is, of course a problem. Nothing in the ini file alters how each car looks. When GPL reads the ini, it combines the first 3 letters of the driver's surname with the car number (e.g. ste16 if Stewart is driving car 16) and then goes and looks for graphics files with that name. So to create new combinations of drivers and car numbers, you need to modify the graphics files. Search the forum for 'creating skins' and you will find lots of information on how to do this. It takes time but is very rewarding.

If you create driver and car number combinations in the ini file that don't have graphics files to match, GPL will load the default colour scheme for that car, and the number roundels will be blank. So you can still race, but without the attention to detail and historical accuracy that makes GPL so special ;)

Good luck!

#3 romanz

romanz

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Racing, music, coding, snooker

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 12:22 AM

Hello,
I've made an apllication for editing driver.ini files, you can get and try it here: http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12110

#4 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys, Romanz can you change a driver's in-game photo with that editor? The photos are all PBF files which I don't know how to edit. Also how do you make a new carset?

Edited by FJBH10, Jan 20 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#5 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 04:15 PM

So far I've managed to get a grid of 1956 spec drivers but because they are all edited from Hawthorn's driver file they all drive green cars haha! Interesting to see a British Racing Green Merc streamliner! Do you guys know how to change the car colour?

Edited by FJBH10, Jan 20 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#6 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostFJBH10, on Jan 20 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

Thanks for the info guys, Romanz can you change a driver's in-game photo with that editor? The photos are all PBF files which I don't know how to edit. Also how do you make a new carset?

You want WinMip for that. Should be around here somewhere, comes with instructions.

#7 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,699 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 05:49 PM

WinMip over at Repository:
http://gplr.srmz.net...=87

#8 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 09:17 PM

Having a bit of a technical issue here, when I try to download the file I get logged out and can't log in regardless of what I do until I close all SRMZ tabs and then reopen it.

#9 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 09:23 PM

Ok, all fixed now, from that WinMip tool I think I've somehow accidentally changed all the car liveries to be British Racing Green... Do you think if I reinstall the '55 mod but with my .ini files it'll reset back to the proper colours?

#10 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 21 2018 - 10:10 AM

Nevermind, managed to get the colours back to the proper settings, how would I go about deleting a team?

#11 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 21 2018 - 02:19 PM

To delete a team from the menus you need to modify the carset or make a new one. If you search on the forum there are several threads - it's a complicated subject.

#12 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 08:09 AM

So, whilst testing the AI Hype settings I've come across a few problems. Any advice would be appreciated:

- The race seems to always start on the last lap, the pitboard and relatives read 0 laps remaining but the chequered flag is still waved at the end of the actual race duration. This happens regardless of track or race length.

- The relative displays the wrong driver as leader, for example, in a test race, Archie Scott Brown was shown as leader when he was 11th whilst Fangio, the actual leader was shown as a backmarker in 16th even though he was ahead on track. This is corrected at the end of the race so it appears the actual position recording is fine just it gets jumbled up in-race. This also throws off the pitboard.

- The end of race newspaper shows the correct positions but it always shows the same driver photo regardless of who won. The photo is always Tony Brooks but I can't find anything to do with his driver photo file that would suggest anything is wrong.

Let me know if you guys have any advice on fixing these.

Edited by FJBH10, Jan 22 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#13 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:30 AM

JonnyA Would re-naming teams be the same? At the moment I've got the Ferrari drivers running the SuperSqualo but in reality the majority of them were running the rebranded Lancias, I want to re-name them to become a kind of Ferrari second team so that I can get the grid a bit more historically accurate.

#14 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:37 AM

For your first issue on the 0 laps, I believe that occurs when accelerating time through the last few moments of practice.

#15 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 10:26 AM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

For your first issue on the 0 laps, I believe that occurs when accelerating time through the last few moments of practice.

Thanks, waited through a whole practice session without skipping and it worked, seems like whatever the problem was has fixed itself too as I can skip through it now too.
Hopefully this carset works in the end, maybe you can use it to carry on after your '55 season!

Edited by FJBH10, Jan 22 2018 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links