#1 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 03:06 AM

Where are the default setups for each car saved and how to I change them to something more fitting for me?

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 06:47 AM

Click "save as" and re-name then modify the saved new-name setup file?

:D

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,471 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 08:47 AM

You can't actually change the default setups. As John said all you can do is modify it in the setup menu in game and rename it. The default setup will always remain as is and can't be changed.

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,929 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 09:05 AM

As Michkov didn't really ask about "files", all of the manipulation of the default setups for each type car can be done with one of two programs: GPL itself and GPL Setup Manager.  :)

There are two methods of making new setups or making modifications to default setups.

1.)  Lee Bowden's GPL Setup Manager
2.)  GPL in-game setup screens

For each car there is a default setup.  It always appears at the top of the drop-down box for either 'Current' or 'Race'.  You start with default, make changes and then when you go to leave the setup screen it will ask for a name for your changed setups.

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Dec 31 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#5 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,737 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 09:08 AM

For the original 67 cars everything is printed in the EXE
For all the other Mods, including the 67extra, you have the default setups stored in the setups folder.
Once you saved your own setup it will be saved in your player\track folder; copy that and paste it into this location, renaming it accordingly and you will have your default. :)
see the attached pic:

Attached Files

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 09:13 AM

Speaking of the default setups. They aren't that bad. As an experiment, i've only changed the fuel amount and taken 2lbs of air out of the rear tires and got to -25. All the other settings were left untouched.

Noob's are so quick to change the setup and it's really not needed.

edit.....This was for the original 67 F1 cars. Papy physics and in the Lotus.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Dec 31 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#7 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,929 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 09:16 AM

" ... in the Lotus."

Didn't really need to say that, Pete.   ;)

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,471 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 09:21 AM

Not everybody knows me like you guys, so I thought i'd add it for the lurkers. :)

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 813 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postginetto, on Dec 31 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

For the original 67 cars everything is printed in the EXE
For all the other Mods, including the 67extra, you have the default setups stored in the setups folder.
No, default setups are in every track dat file + some default setup changes came with official gpl patches and were placed outside track dats, simply in track folder.

#10 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 11:11 AM

Pavel, if you try an add-on track with an original 67 car you will have a default setup even if there are no setups stored in the DAT file.
I never included any setups in my tracks .dat but 67  cars have the same default setup anyway.

#11 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 01:19 PM

I'm probably wide of the mark here and I have to admit if you don't have set up manager installed I have no idea where they come from for the add on mods.

But I assumed the default set up's for add on mods were all in the main set up manager directory (Named "55 Setup Manager Default.gplsm" for example). The available ratios, rebound rates, toe in/out etc has a max and min parameter plus increments in the appropriate "ini" file "55 Setup Data.ini" for example.

But I have to say I really have no idea and I've never investigated further. I don't know how to open any of the GPLSM or user set up files in anything other than GPL set up manager.

Happy New Year all.

TTFN
John.

#12 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 02:55 PM

Snafu, the .gplsm files that come with GPL Setup Manager are just generic setups for each mod that Setup Manager uses as a default starting point.  The same setup is used by all cars in the mod so they aren't tailored specifically for any one car.  The suspension setup values are probably OK for all cars, but the gear and differential ratios certainly are compromises.

I could have made a .gplsm file for each car in each mod, but that would have involved making perhaps a hundred .gplsm files and I'm lazy.  :)

I would not recommend you change the .gplsm file values.  Once you get GPL Startup Manager running, it's best to create and save your own setups for each mod car.  This doesn't affect the .gplsm setup file at all.

The .gplsm setup file is totally independent of the default setup files that GPL uses.  GPL itself doesn't know or care about the .gplsm file.

As Greg and Ginetto said, the original '67 cars have default setups for each car that are hardcoded into the gpl.exe.  Patches to the .exe now allow different default setups for each car for each mod.  These default setups are located in the Setups directory.

Michov, the only way to change the default setups that GPL actually uses is to save your desired setup (either in GPL or with Setup Manager) then move the saved file into the Setups directory.  This will overwrite the original default setup file for that mod's car so be sure to back up first.

I don't know the purpose of having setup files in the track directory.  AFAIK, these are not automatically used when selecting a track.  Probably some track makers just made setups that they liked for their track and included them as a bonus.

Edited by Lee200, Dec 31 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,352 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostLee200, on Dec 31 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

These default setups are located in the Setups directory.

Michov, the only way to change the default setups that GPL actually uses is to save your desired setup (either in GPL or with Setup Manager) then move the saved file into the Setups directory.  This will overwrite the original default setup file for that mod's car so be sure to back up first.

I don't know the purpose of having setup files in the track directory.  AFAIK, these are not automatically used when selecting a track.  Probably some track makers just made setups that they liked for their track and included them as a bonus.

Not that I would ever want to mess with default setups or suggest anyone else do so...seems the file names in the gpl/Setup directory are coded so no idea what file corresponds to which car and no way to know which to overwrite/substitute?

But if I wanted to, just drop an any-name setup file for a specific car and track into the Setups directory and it becomes the respective default?

BTW,

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 31 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#14 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 04:50 PM

Yes John, you just need to rename it depending of the mod you're using;
like setup55 for 55
setupF2 for Formula 2...
the extension stays the same as the file created by GPL when you modify and save it in the menus.

Lee, if you put setup files in track folder they will be read by GPL and it will make those default for that particular track this is valid for original 67 cars too; some of Papys track have them as Pavel already said..

#15 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,301 posts

Posted Dec 31 2017 - 05:38 PM

I like certain general settings for each mod.  I could tailor them to each car but that's a LOT of setups to make.  So I chose generic starting points for a mod.

What I do:
1 - select the mod and a car in GEM
2 - go to any track which loads quickly (kyalami for example)
3 - create and save a setup with those settings and name it setupf2 (for example for the 67F2 mod)
4 - exit GPL
5 - in windows explorer go to the \Sierra\GPL\players\Simpson67F2__Bob\setups\kyalami folder
6 - copy and paste that setupf2 file 11 times inside that folder (there are 12 cars in the 67F2 mod)
7 - rename each setup with the file extension of each car

Brabham BT23 FVA = *.bb1
Lola T100 FVA  = *.lf1
Lola T100 BMW   = *.lb1
McLaren M4a FVA  = *.ea1
Ferrari 166   = *.fe1
Lotus 48 FVA  =  *.lo1
Matra MS5 FVA  = *.mu1
Cooper T84 FVA =  *.co1
Lotus 41B FVA  =*.ld1
Brabham BT14 LF   = *.bg1
Protos 16 FVA  = *.pr1
Matra MS7 FVA  = *.ms1

And move those files to the Sierra\GPL\setups\setupsf2 folder, overwriting what is in that folder.

As mentioned above, the only cars you can't do this with are the original 67 cars.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Dec 31 2017 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links