gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 01:07 PM

Moss's Maser 250F was painted red in 1954 with traces of BRG on the nose, as you mention.  For the following year his Maser 250F was painted non-red for a few of the 1955 championship races:

:grumpy:

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Nov 06 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#32 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for that update and some fine pictures.  I was grounding my remark about the late 1954 colour on his account that when he was offered a place in the Works team on the eve of the 1954 German GP "They took the body apart that night and hand-painted it red apart from the nose which we kept green" .  A lovely detail !  I should of course remembered that there were different colour schemes later. I like the 'Macklin' one.

:dino:

#33 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostPaddy the Irishman, on Nov 06 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

I think it is a super detail -  which I can appreciate while sitting in the pits :rolleyes: - and I am wondering how I can change the "Chassis #" to 2508 since that is the chassis number of Stirling Moss' "personal"  250F. which I use, even though I have now found that it was painted RED after August 1954 when Maserati gave him Works support.
( Please don't tell the realism police).
Any advice on how to change the chassis number gratefully received.

I'll make one just for you with that number- and a choice of colours for the tach. Here you go:

Attached File  Moss car black tach.rar   157.48K   21 downloads

Attached File  Moss car white tach.rar   144.47K   24 downloads

Edited by delgs, Nov 06 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#34 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,837 posts

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 07:20 PM

"I'll make one just for you with that number- and a choice of colours for the tach. Here you go: "

How cool is that ?!!!  :)
Thanks, Del.

#35 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 08:08 PM

Is the 55 Aintree skin in the mod?

#36 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 08:49 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Nov 06 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

"I'll make one just for you with that number- and a choice of colours for the tach. Here you go: "

How cool is that ?!!!  :)
Thanks, Del.

No worries, Greg, it's a pleasure- but I think this thread must be breaking records for the amount of variations on a theme I've uploaded! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#37 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 836 posts

Posted Nov 07 2017 - 03:19 AM

THANK YOU delgs !
I was trying ,to work out my winmips and my bmps and photo editting (mentally) and not knowing HOW to do it all.  You have saved me I look forward to climbing into 2058 shortly and will have a proud warm up in the pits - trying not to be distracted by the Chassis number while driving :)

#38 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,696 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 07 2017 - 06:48 AM

Remember that that label specify the number of the engine (MOTORE), not the chassis (TELAIO).

#39 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted Nov 07 2017 - 07:39 AM

View Postginetto, on Nov 07 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

Remember that that label specify the number of the engine (MOTORE), not the chassis (TELAIO).

Great- just tell me the engine number of 2508, and I'll change it. :-)  or can you tell me whether it was a matching numbers car as it arrived from the factory?

#40 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,837 posts

Posted Nov 07 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostMichkov, on Nov 06 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Is the 55 Aintree skin in the mod?

For the 1955 Aintree (British GP) Moss's car was driven by Lance Macklin.
That carskin is in the carset for aintree with Macklin in Maser #46
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11805

... or maybe you mean Moss driving in the 1954 Aintree '200'?
Yes, that carskin is in the carset for aintreeR (reverse) with Moss in Maser #7
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11829

The '55 race-specific carsets are here:
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11997

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Nov 07 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#41 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 07 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Greg

#42 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 836 posts

Posted Nov 08 2017 - 03:52 AM

View Postginetto, on Nov 07 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

With temerity I question Ginetto  - Are you sure ?  Stirling Moss in the book "Stirling Moss with Doug Nye" page 99, refers to "chassis '2508' " .

However, reading on through accounts of many engine rebuilds it does appear that the crankcase may have remained the same,
Also he refers to various other Maserati 250fs he drove, just by numbers, which would seem more likely to have been chassis numbers I would have thought ?

I am not contradicting you, just looking to clear up a point. :huh:

#43 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted Nov 08 2017 - 05:44 AM

I was only able to find the scantest info on engine numbers, Paddy- the exceptions being the odd car where the engine was swapped with another car when they would be known as 25**/ 25xx. Sometimes. Sometimes Maserati seem to have just randomly assigned new chassis numbers to such builds, meaning the same chassis may have been known- by the factory, mark you- by two different numbers.  In the absence of any information to the contrary, I am going to assume that 2508 was a factory build from mid-production, and would've rolled out with matching numbers. The plate I used on the dash was from a picture of a late model V12, hence the engine number 004.
I should've known it would spark an endless correspondence- which is fine, if people have more and better details of engine numbers etc.

#44 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted Nov 08 2017 - 08:35 AM

I gathered hundreds of photographs of the 250F while researching the '55 mod for four years.  AFAIK, no two 250F dashboards were ever the same as I've not seen two alike.  Typically though, the dashboard plate gave the chassis number.  Some dashboards show two plates...one for the chassis and one for the motor.  I don't know if the 250Fs came from the factory with two plates so maybe the second plate was added in later years or perhaps if the engine were changed.

Not a big deal, but I think to be historically accurate, the single dashboard plate should depict the chassis number and not the engine number.  I believe Ginetto was saying this too.

I believe, but am not positive, that the original cars had the same chassis and motor numbers.  But since the motors could be changed out, then they would no longer match.

In regards to Moss' chassis #2508, I've got a fairly detailed history of it beginning when it was bought new by his father in1954 until it was sold in 1957.  Unfortunately, I'm away from my GPL PC and can't quote directly from it for now.

As best as I can remember, #2508 always had its original engine.  It was rebuilt at least once while Moss still owned it.  The chassis was rebodied once too.

Edited by Lee200, Nov 08 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#45 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted Nov 08 2017 - 08:48 AM

Yes, two plates on the dash seems to be the way to go. I think maybe I'll carry on working on it, then upload all the options in one file, at the top of this topic. May take a little while though: it would be nice to have a few options for some of the more famous examples raced in the 55 season. I only started on this really because the rev-counter was very definitely a modern Autometer one but it's all good fun, I'm enjoying developing this with everyone's help. If anyone has any good clear, in-period cockpit pics of 55 season GP 250 F's, that would really help me.  I know that's a huge ask, so thanks in advance! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links