• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 18 2017 - 07:52 AM

Since I started driving Grand Prix Legends I have always driven a MOMO Logitech Steering Wheel and it has been a great steering wheel for me.

Lately, however, I getting pretty bothered with the pedals, because once every couple of months they require cleaning because the throttle goes only 90% at times.
I presume it's a part of maintenance. It's fine if it happens once in a while. But lately it has been getting problematic.

I feel it may be getting time to invest in a more modern steering wheel.
It is a great wheel, but it kind of is from a previous era of gaming.

I have been looking around and have a few in interest. For the steering wheel I have a few requirements:

- Good comfortability
- Little maintenance required (mainly the pedals!!)
- A good amount of buttons
- Includes stick shift
- Though I do not use a console, I share a preference towards Xbox rather than PS, but it is not essential.
- Money is not an issue.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Logitech G920. But before I make the decision to buy, I'd like some recommendations from you.
Which wheel would be your choice and why?

#2 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 18 2017 - 08:37 AM

I use a Thrustmaster T500 RS and I would buy it again.
http://www.thrustmas...products/t500rs

I have never done any maintenance to the metal pedals over the years appart from hoovering. :)
Nore did I have any problems with it since several years. I don`t remember exactly when I bought it, but it must have been about more than 5/6 years ago.

Edit: There is a TH8A Add-On Shifter that works with the Thrustmaster T500 RS.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 19 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Oct 18 2017 - 09:36 AM

A good friend of mine also has a T500 RS and it's a very good set indeed. You can also switch between different types of steering wheels and there's a seperate stick shift addon available.

Once I have a proper mounting platform I'm also planning to buy a T500.

Edited by Millennium, Oct 18 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#4 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted Oct 18 2017 - 09:38 AM

I was a big fan of Logitech G25 before I got my T300RS wheel package. But as you can see here I was not happy with the pedals that came with the T300RS.
But TM do make better pedals that you can add to the T series wheels like the T3PA-PRO ADD-ON

They also make a neat 7 speed shifter  TH8A Add-On Shifter

The other nice feature of the T series wheels is that they are detachable and interchangeable. So you could have a different more authentic wheel for GPL  than you do for modern sims but still using the same FF hub/servo base.

You say money no object but this does start to mount up. I think this where Logitech score making a decent wheel pedals and shifter bundle for the same price that I paid for my T300RS with shitty pedals and no shifter.

As far as pedals going bad because of dust and dirt. I think they will all suffer the same fate eventually because of them being on the floor.
The good thing about the G25 pedals is that is was easy to replace the pots.
Some high end stuff probably uses optical pots which are probably more durable.

I have only been using the T300RS wheel for a few weeks but so far I like it. But I can't say how durable it is after such a short time.

Paul

#5 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Oct 18 2017 - 02:50 PM

I would not buy a Logi G920 as it has the problems with GPLShift! I would look for a "young" used G27 instead ( I am very happy with mine)

Or just buy the T500 + + ...

#6 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Oct 19 2017 - 02:29 AM

Both the G25 and G27 work with GPLShift and the Logitech software allows you to turn damping off which works really well with GPL in my opinion.

The G29 and 920 will need Fairshift, and the new Logitech software won't let you turn damping off so it feels like driving through treacle :(. Brake pedal offers a bit more resistance which I quite like. Also the H shifter is an optional extra, not included in the basic package like the G25 and G27.

The Logitech wheels are noisy over kerbs and bumps, and feel a bit plasticky, but they're good value for money (G29 + H shifter was approx £130 last time I looked on Amazon)

I get the impression the Thrustmaster stuff is a bit better quality, the Fanatec stuff looks nice but pricey.

Edited by Fat Rich, Oct 19 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,329 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 19 2017 - 07:31 AM

More help

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=r5bb-6QhdsI

TP:

#8 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Oct 19 2017 - 11:01 AM

- Good comfortability
- Little maintenance required (mainly the pedals!!)
- A good amount of buttons
- Includes stick shift
- Though I do not use a console, I share a preference towards Xbox rather than PS, but it is not essential.
- Money is not an issue.

I look at the last line on your list and think that Fanatec should be at the top of your list.  With a little mixing of available "off the shelf" components all your requirements will be met.

#9 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Oct 19 2017 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

It certainly did gave me some second thoughts about it.
Unfortunately in many cases, the ultimate choice are a combination of the offered products!
And then it is just the question if they are compatible with each other...

So, many recommendations go to the T500RS. It's a fine looking wheel, I'd say.
I really like the metal pedals. But I haven't really raced with 3 pedals yet (only normal driving :lol:), and I'm not quite sure whether I'll need the third pedal, in- or outside GPL.
Usually I use one button to apply the clutch. Then again, so does the G920, so little difference in that.

I would not buy a Logi G920 as it has the problems with GPLShift!

Might become a problem in GPLRacer. (I don't know other leagues I'm in that see it as an issue.)
Well, I can alternatively use the flippers, but it always felt so wrong to use flippers in GPL to me. I always a stick shift on my MOMO, which only goes up down, but it gives a more realistic experience.
But that aside... is there a fix (in the making) on that regard? Or would that be Fairshift?

But having put several more things in consideration now, I haven't really changed on which wheel to take.
If there was a best combination, I think it'd be the Logtiech G920 + Shifter and T3PA-Pro Add-On pedals for me. At least, if they work together (they probably do not).

Money is not an issue.

Pardon me, that was slightly exaggerated. I don't mean to buy a €1000,- high-end wheel or playseat, so to speak (yet :)), but rather in the range of G29, T500SR is no issue. (say €500,- max.)

Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Oct 19 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#10 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Oct 19 2017 - 04:00 PM

you could always get the t300rs cheaper than its older brother the t500rs and the wheel is better than the g920

the downside is the pedals are not the best but you can always get the t3pa pro pedals + their 7speed shifter if you are a little short on $$ later

btw the shifter is a stand alone so it will work with any wheel

#11 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Oct 20 2017 - 11:13 AM

I agree with Brocky05
My understanding is that the T500 is some what dated.  The T300 with the t3pa pedals is the way to go in your price range I think.

#12 fastmule

fastmule

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course.

Posted Oct 20 2017 - 05:40 PM

How are you guys with the Thrustmasters getting any force feedback from the game? My G27 had a profile setup for GPL and worked decently. Now since I went to the T500 I cant get anything in the way of FF.

#13 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 21 2017 - 03:27 PM

View Postfastmule, on Oct 20 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

How are you guys with the Thrustmasters getting any force feedback from the game? My G27 had a profile setup for GPL and worked decently. Now since I went to the T500 I cant get anything in the way of FF.

Have you tried these settings yet?
http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html

#14 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted Oct 22 2017 - 05:44 AM

FF worked from the start with the T300 wheel.

I could not use a wheel that did not have FF.

Paul

#15 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Oct 22 2017 - 09:40 AM

View Postfastmule, on Oct 20 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Make sure you have the latest driver and firmware installed.

https://support.thru...duct/t500rs-en/

Do you use the T500 for other sims?  If GPL is the only sim that won't work, then it almost has to be in an issue with GPL settings.  If you have problems with other sims as well, then it may be a problem with your wheel, or the drivers.

I have been a T500 user for 6 years and have had no issue with ffb working in GPL.

One other thing that came to mind is to ask if your using a USB extension port or hub.  I remember some saying that the T500 didn't like the extension ports and to make sure it's plugged directly to the PC, preferably with a USB 2.0 port.  I have mine plugged into a USB 3.0 and I haven't had issue with it, but some have said their T500 had problems with USB 3.0, so may be worth trying.

Edited by dbell84, Oct 22 2017 - 09:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links