Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Simracing, flightsim
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 11:08 AM

Hi all.
I have a problem. I read old web pages, and also old threads here, but I am not able to capture screenshots of Gpl in game.
Some basic informations:
I have a desktop PC with Windows 7 64 bit. After some fiddlings, now Gpl run very well. I run it fullscreen at the native resolution of my monitor, 1920*1080.

I tried the following methods to capture screenshots in game, but without success:
1) Normal Prtscr key, eventually with Alt and/or Crtl. I only obtain a black screen in the clipboard
2) I tried the old method to convert pbf files to tga, but the utility seems not working
2) Fraps and MSI Afterburner: I set the options (keys and folders) but I don't get any screenshot
3) Bandicam: I obtain a sort of "composition", with a little rectangle containing the Gpl screen and the rest is the desktop (as I said I actually run Gpl in fullscreen)
4) Greenshot: this seemed promising, it is able to capture the initial GPL screen, but when I pass to the track I get the usual black screen.

I don't have other ideas, could you please help?

#2 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 11:24 AM

An old app from flight sim community, called FSScreen is the answer. No need to install it even, just download it to your 'puter, fire up, start pressing PrintScr and the bitmaps will be there in the app's main folder. As idiot proof and reliable as can be. Important note - it works only when GPL runs in D3D mode. I'm more of a OpenGL guy, but swtiching for taking some screens is not a problem.

Edited by Art-J, Sep 27 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Art-J.

Link to :FSScreen: http://www.flightsim...wfile/1058.html

Some discussion about it: https://www.flightsi...?81175-FSSCREEN

Been using Greenshot with no issues for awhile when paused during replays.
BTW, it works anytime anywhere without having to turn it on or load it up beforehand.

Having something that works during an on-track session will be for me a new adventure in driver focus and attention.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Sep 24 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#4 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing | Computers | Motorsport | 3D Modeling | Skinning

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi Antlab...

Strange problem. I`ve done a lot of screens in GPL although I only end up keeping a few that I like but I`ve never really had any problems capturing screens.

You can see some of my edits over on flickr, link is in my sig. I`ve actually just uploaded them as I thought I`d lost them...

I think I may have used the Print Screen key way back but have always just used Fraps for all my screens. rFactor, rFactor 2, GPL, in fact all the sims/games I`ve had.

I`ve never known it to not work...

If I can think of any reason why it wouldn`t I`ll let you know.

tj

Edited by tjc, Sep 24 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#5 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 24 2017 - 05:50 PM

I use Dropbox which has a build in screenshot function. Bit of a run around way of doing things but since its running in the background anyway why not use it. As a bonus you'll get fully formed pngs without any conversion needed.

#6 Antlab

Antlab

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Sep 25 2017 - 02:02 PM

This forum is a treasure of knowledge :)
Thanks Art-J and John, I did not know FFScreen. I tried it, and it actually works. I had to switch to D3D, from my usual OpenGL mode, but apart from this, finally I am able to capture screenshots in game.

@tjc. I saw your blog and your nice screenshots. Can I ask which OS do you use? Because I don't know if my problem is related to Windows 7 or some other settings of my system.

@Michkov. Thanks for the info about Dropbox. Sincerely I am not a fan of cloud storage, so I would prefer an offlline solution. Anyway, it can be useful to know that there is another method to capture screens in Gpl.

#7 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing | Computers | Motorsport | 3D Modeling | Skinning

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hey Antlab... I`m on Windows 7 and have been for a long time now. I`m thinking of going to W10 for my sim rig (I have it on my laptop) but have not done so yet...

Have a look here - http://srmz.net/inde...=45#entry128677

Another screenshot program posted by gliebzeit. :)

Edited by tjc, Sep 26 2017 - 11:37 AM.

#8 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 11:40 AM

The easiest, stand-alone screenshot program.  Runs as a background process awaiting keystrokes to save multiple screens or windows.

(from tjc's post just above)  :)

Attached Files

#9 Antlab

Antlab

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the file Greg. I tried it, but I obtain results similar to Bandicam, with the Gpl screen reduced to a small rectangle.
At present, at least on my system, the best results come from FSScreen. I am open to try other alternatives, maybe something that also works with OpenGL.

#10 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 26 2017 - 03:57 PM

I also use Bandicam (license) and OpenGL V2, for me it works great. (Windows 7)

With OBS, Windows Printscreen, Purrint etc. I got excatly the same problems as described here, where it would just capture my desktop.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 26 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#11 Antlab

Antlab

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Sep 27 2017 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the info, MIllennium.
Sincerely I only tried the free version of Badicam, because I don't own the license. Maybe the complete edition has more features that interact better with Gpl, I don't know.

#12 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTR2, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 27 2017 - 04:34 PM

2 years ago or so i tried to do some screenshoots and FRAPS and the PrtScr key worked. But it's always good to have a bunch of alternatives, thanks to all who proposed these alternatives :thumbup: .

#13 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 28 2017 - 09:34 AM

The licensed version of Bandicam is pretty much the same as the trial version, only without a watermark and the 10 minute record limit.

It only works if you use the Game Mode, that way it will record the last screen you've clicked with your mouse.
You can also enable a framerate indicator, that way you're sure it's capturing the right window. And ofcourse can also choose whether you like the fps shown on the recording or not.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 28 2017 - 09:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links