TomJ

ADC Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:All forms of racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 08:07 AM

Right-click on the Windows taskbar and launch Task Manager. Find your process in the list, right-click on it and choose Set affinity from the context menu.
You will see by default all apps are allowed to span all the processors in your PC. Just uncheck the ones you don't want it to run on and you are good to go.
Aug 27, 2012

How To Force Windows Applications to Use a Specific CPU

www.howtogeek.com/121775/how-to-force-windows-applications-to-use-a-specific-cpu/

It looks like if Windows recognizes GPL is running, it will use all cores. I'm running Windows 10 64-bit with Intel i7 processor and I'm unable to get to task manager while running GPL.
In all other programs I can get to task manager using CTL-ALT-DEl. All that said, GPL is running great now with my current system.

Edited by TomJ, Sep 18 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#17 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Greg, I can get task manager open but then i get a message saying 'gpl has stopped working' & at this point task manager will not come to the front unless I acknowledge the '... not working...' dialog. then gplcf2.exe is no longer available to select in task manager processes. therein lies my problem ;)

i figure running in a window would solve that problem but I can't remember how to do that :doh:

#18 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostRoo, on Sep 18 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

i figure running in a window would solve that problem but I can't remember how to do that :doh:

You need to set the resolution to 640X480, I think. I'm not sure if 800X600 works.

#19 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,212 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 09:28 AM

Roo, do you have G.P.L. set to run at your 'Native Desktop Resolution'?  Give that a test if you don't have it that way.

... and to clarify something else.  When I bring up Task Manager while G.P.L. is running, I click on the 'Processes' tab, find 'gplcxx.exe' in the list and then right-click to bring up the 'Set Affinity'... dialog.  This brings me back to the G.P.L. screen whereby I must bring up Task Manager a second time to actually see the 'Set Affinity' screen.  Finally, to return to G.P.L. I click on the  'Applications' tab and select the 'Papyrus Window' and then click on the 'Switch To' button in the lower right.

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 18 2016 - 09:40 AM.

#20 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 03:47 PM

Ctrl+Shift+Esc brings up the Task Manager directly for Win7 and up

#21 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,212 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 18 2016 - 07:03 PM

Michkov.... thank you!  An old dog can learn new tricks.  :grumpy:

;)

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 18 2016 - 09:32 PM.

#22 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted Sep 19 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostJMF, on Sep 18 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostRoo, on Sep 18 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

You need to set the resolution to 640X480, I think. I'm not sure if 800X600 works.

thanks for that JMF :)

View Postgliebzeit, on Sep 18 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Roo, do you have G.P.L. set to run at your 'Native Desktop Resolution'?  Give that a test if you don't have it that way.

... and to clarify something else.  When I bring up Task Manager while G.P.L. is running, I click on the 'Processes' tab, find 'gplcxx.exe' in the list and then right-click to bring up the 'Set Affinity'... dialog.  This brings me back to the G.P.L. screen whereby I must bring up Task Manager a second time to actually see the 'Set Affinity' screen.  Finally, to return to G.P.L. I click on the  'Applications' tab and select the 'Papyrus Window' and then click on the 'Switch To' button in the lower right.
GPL is running at the native 1920x1080.

View PostMichkov, on Sep 18 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Ctrl+Shift+Esc brings up the Task Manager directly for Win7 and up

I can open task manager using ctrl-alt-del but when I select it either from the taskbar or using alt-tab, GPL stops working & a dialog box opens saying GPL has stopped working. I have to close this dialog (which also closes GPL) in order to return to the task manager & then, therefore, the gpl exe is no longer running so it is not in the processes list.

I have managed to get the RunAff utility from nogrip & have run it on my laptop install (not my racing machine) & it seems to have set the affinity ok but I can't check that due to the previously stated issue.

Does setting the affinity using RunAff set affinity permanently or do I need to start GPL for the RunAff shortcut each time?

#23 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 19 2016 - 03:17 PM

View PostRoo, on Sep 19 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Does setting the affinity using RunAff set affinity permanently or do I need to start GPL for the RunAff shortcut each time?

You need to start GPL from the RunAff shortcut each time you want to play. If everything goes right, a vocal message should notify it set affinity correctly. That's all you need ;)

#24 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted Sep 20 2016 - 05:54 AM

thanks Leon

#25 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Sep 20 2016 - 01:31 PM

To run GPL in a window in Windows 10,
1 – in windows explorer, right click on gplc67.exe (or whatever mod’s exe you’ll run)
2 – click on properties > compatibility > reduced colour mode > 16 bit
3 - in core.ini set [ Rasterizer ] fullScreen=0
4 - in GEM, select D3D (not V2) in the graphics options and a resolution smaller than your desktop
5 – Start GPL

#26 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted Sep 22 2016 - 07:03 AM

thanks Bob :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic