• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, video games in general, fiction writing.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 08:42 AM

HI,
For a long time now I've had two issues with GPL that I've never posted before, but now I just started to have another crack at my GPL rank (no joke!) I thought it would be a good time.

1. It seems to me that throttle response in GPL isn't quite right. I'm a big heel-toe driver and I can't seem to ever blip deep enough to be satisfactory. Sometimes I don't think I catch the gearchange at the correct revs and this causes me to spin. If I drive in rFactor or Raceroom I have no problem - in fact if anything in those sims I have a tendency to over blip. If I come back to GPL I can notice straight away the the throttle is a little dead low down in the rev range.

My pedals are set up 'realistically' with the brake pedal slightly 'aft' of the throttle pedal like in the video below but not quite as extreme. You can see it clearly around 1:07.

https://www.youtube....xrUW0ow&index=1

I've tried adjusting the throttle in DXTweak but it doesn't seem to work with GPL. It works in rFactor but GPL seems to completely ignore the changes DXTweak makes. GPL seems to use its own driver or something.

I suppose the answer would be to reset my pedals just for GPL but that would be a pain.

2. The second one is that GPL gives me dry eyes (LOL). I notice this every time I come back and it's the only sim that does it. It doesn't effect me while driving, only afterwards in the evening or following morning. It disappears after I've been up for a while but it's very noticeable. I can only think it's to do with the way GPL renders the screen or something. I gamed on console for years and those games always ran at around 30 fps but I never had a problem with them so I don't know what the problem is.

Just wondering if anyone else gets this? I don't suppose there will be an answer to either problem but misery loves company I suppose. :unwell:

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,683 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 10:15 AM

1. I would suggest looking at the software which comes with your pedals. I have the Logitech G29, and although I haven't looked at the profiling software for some time (I'm still trying to get used to using a wheel/pedal setup in a basic way after being a joystick driver for a long time), I think the Logitech software allows the user to modify the response curves for the various controller axes. If you have the right software, and you find the throttle doesn't react the way you want, you should be able to adjust it in some way. If you then store that new setting in a separate profile, you should be able to switch to it quite conveniently when you want to drive GPL, and switch back when you're driving another sim.

I don't think I've heard of DXTweak, but its name implies that it adjusts things via DirectX. GPL can either read inputs directly from the hardware port (as most games used to under DOS etc), or it uses its own "generic" input driver, as stated on the GPL "options" page. I don't think GPL uses DirectX for input at all, or at least not in the "usual" way that modern Windows games do, so unfortunately I don't think DXTweak will be of any help.

2. I can't think of anything in GPL that would give you dry eyes (especially delayed to the next day) when other sims don't have that effect! Do you use the 60fps patch(es)? What frame rates do you normally see when driving in GPL?

I think this symptom must be due to some kind of external factor. Do you find GPL more difficult to drive than other sims? If so, your adrenaline level may be higher when driving GPL, as the sim may feel inherently more "risky", and your body may compensate by trying to be as alert as possible to the way the car is behaving. This would change the way you feel, and would have physical effects.

Do you drive GPL at regular times of the day to fit it in with your schedule, and do you drive other sims at the same time? If you drive GPL at different times to your other sims (maybe to fit in when other drivers are available on-line), then the air conditions in your house (temperature, humidity etc) may be different, and may affect your eyes differently.

#3 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 790 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hi!

It might be that you got used to higher frame rates. I drove GPL for years with 36fps without eye problems. I use the 60fps since 2011 and everytime I have to step back to 36fps I need hours to really get used to it :(

#4 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

Yes I already checked the Thrustmaster software (I have a T500RS) and you can't change anything on the pedals unfortunately. It does seem to me that GPL is using its own driver.

No, I don't use the 60fps patch because I like racing against the AI and I hear it changes their behaviour.

TBH I didn't expect a solution to the dry eyes problem. I just came here wondering if anyone else gets the same - looking for moral support I suppose. :hithead:

Anyway , thanks again. :P

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,016 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 01:44 PM

Dry eyes is common issue with computer use.

Computer Vision Syndrome

It used to happen to me a lot.

:)

Edited by John Woods, Apr 27 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#6 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 27 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

2. I can't think of anything in GPL that would give you dry eyes (especially delayed to the next day) when other sims don't have that effect! Do you use the 60fps patch(es)? What frame rates do you normally see when driving in GPL?

I think this symptom must be due to some kind of external factor. Do you find GPL more difficult to drive than other sims? If so, your adrenaline level may be higher when driving GPL, as the sim may feel inherently more "risky", and your body may compensate by trying to be as alert as possible to the way the car is behaving. This would change the way you feel, and would have physical effects.

Pribluda normally says 35.92 or somesuch in the lower right hand corner.

However you could have a point about my driving in GPL. In other sims I just tend to do practice and then have a 10-12 lap race against the AI trying as hard as I can. In GPL I am trying to improve my GPL rank and therefore I am continually looking for that 'extra tenth'. This could cause extra eyestrain due to the fact it is more challenging. In the other sims I never have a 'benchmark' I am trying to chase and these GPLRank ones are particularly high (in my opinion) so that could case more stress.

Never thought about it that way before. :up:

#7 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Apr 27 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Dry eyes is common issue with computer use.

Computer Vision Syndrome

It used to happen to me a lot.

:)

The 20-20-20 rule sounds like a good idea. I've bought eye drops in the past but the dryness tends to only bother me at night. I'm a light sleeper and I wake up with uncomfortable eyes that I have to blink a lot. It goes away shortly after rising so the drops never really helped.

#8 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 02:46 PM

What do you use to allow shifting in GPL, GPLShift or Fairshift?  If it's Fairshift, there is a delay .222 seconds programed into it to match the shift delay programed in GPL that paddle users have.  It's main purpose was to impose this delay so leagues could stop speed shifters from having an advantage, hence the name Fairshift.

I'm a fellow T500 user and I have the opposite problem when I drive GPL, I sometimes tend to get too many revs in my blips.  It always takes me a while to adjust to using a lighter touch on my blips when I have taken a break and come back to GPL.

#9 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 02:51 PM

Eyedrops or whatnot, 36 does and will put additional strain on the eyes. Noticed it just before Petteri released the 60fps patch and I was comparing GPL to P&G and rF1 I drove back then at stable 60. Just couldn't drive GPL @36 for long, as it caused eye pain and difficulties with focusing on track.

You can try them out though, but it's not a long-term solution.

#10 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 27 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'm pretty sure GPL does use direct input - that's why direct input controllers work with it.

Not sure why you're not seeing a difference with DXTweak - have you tried setting it to some really insane setting like throttle always at max or always off?
I'm guessing it probably works it's just that the throttle response in the cars in GPL is different than what you're used to in other sims.
Of course it also depends what car you are driving in gpl too. The lotus especially hates going down to first gear, i normally try and only go as low as second since it has the torque that you only really need first for starts. But then i've never had heel-toeable pedals anyway.

#11 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,368 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Apr 28 2016 - 11:03 AM

Having a Speedway ( now Speedwayland)  steering and pedals, the only way they are recognized is Direct Input. I can confirm GPL does use direct input.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Apr 28 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#12 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted Apr 28 2016 - 12:17 PM

You need dxtweak2. I found those 2 threads:

Read this to the end: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=5772
Then move to the other thread: http://www.nogriprac...ad.php?t=226333

You find Dxtweak2 for 32 or 64 bit here: http://www.force-dynamics.com/dl

#13 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 28 2016 - 03:19 PM

You should try to use the 60fps for your eyes, the 60fpsaiV1 version is made for the use with AI's and works with all mods.
After long time racing online mixed 36/60, I finally decided to never again drive with 36fps.

DXtweak2-64 works fine here with GPL

#14 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted Apr 28 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostCookie, on Apr 28 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

. . . . the 60fpsaiV1 version is made for the use with AI's and works with all mods.

. . . .  . :confused:

#15 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 29 2016 - 07:13 AM

View Postmaddog, on Apr 28 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostCookie, on Apr 28 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

. . . . the 60fpsaiV1 version is made for the use with AI's and works with all mods.

. . . .  . :confused:

Yes, it does, but the AI behaviour is made for 67s, in other mods it is not perfect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links