Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 12 2016 - 06:43 AM

Hi lads,

as many of you may know, I drive through a Thrustmaster GPX gamepad, which uses standard Xbox 360 controller drivers. These drivers are great, expect for one big fault which is vital in racing, their triggers share the same axis. What does this mean? basically that you won't be able to press your brake and your throttle at the same time if assigned to your triggers (which is the most comfortable place to have them since you want to steer with your stick, left or right).
How this affects your driving? well you won't be able to blip or "heel&toe" (with your fingers of course). Because if you press your throttle, your brake will become unresponsive.

So, after a long time and quest for this problem to be solved, I finally found it and thought I would share it with you since I know that many others like me can't afford or don't have the space or time to have a wheel. All this, in name of a more immersive and "realistic" experience with the old cars depicted in sims like GPL or PnG (should work fine also with other sims with the exception of Assetto Corsa which has the triggers separated by default, Kudos to them for it!).

Please note that this guide will work for Xbox and Xbox 360 controller, maybe even One, but I have no certainty it will apply to other brands. It SHOULD, but search for more info. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS, MAKE A RESTORATION POINT BEFORE VENTURING BEYOND PILLARS OF HERCULES FOR YOUR SAFETY. ALSO, A MINIMUM OF COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS GUIDE. IF YOU FEEL NOT SURE ABOUT THIS, THEN DON'T TRY IT.

Point 1) You will need to disable enforced driver signing. Use a guide like these for it

http://www.howtogeek...signed-drivers/

https://sabrent.com/....php?article=14

Point 2) So, first, plug your controller. Then, from your control panel, open the device manager. Now, if you have a third party controller which is not supported by the drivers we will install later (got to point 3 for a quick check), open your controller tab and check for properties, then from details select ID hardware and copy to a note the ID you'll find with ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Close everything and leave it plugged in!! If you have a standard or supported controller then skip this.
Attached File  UO0001.jpg   91.44K   34 downloads

Point 3) Now, download these drivers XBCD 0.2.7 (I'm sorry you have to google it as it does not allow me to link the specific page) check the compatibility list for your pad, and install them with admin priviliges.

IF YOU HAVE A THIRD PARTY CONTROLLER NOT MENTIONED IN THE COMPATIBILITY LIST, STOP WHEN PROMPTED FOR THE SECOND INSTALL, WHICH ARE THE NEW PAD DRIVERS. CLICK NO AND END JUST THE FIRST INSTALL. NOW GO TO YOUR XBCD INSTALL LOCATION AND OPEN THE "DRIVER" FOLDER. NOW AGAIN OPEN THE "XBCD.INF" AND ADD YOUR PAD ID HARDWARE YOU SAVED BEFORE. YOU HAVE TO ADD A NEW STRING FOR BOTH X86 AND X64 SECTION IN THE APPROPRIATE STRING SEQUENCE DEPENDING OF THE NATURE OF YOUR PAD. READ CAREFULLY THE INF TO BETTER UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS.
IF IT WON'T LET YOU SAVE THE MODIFIED INF FILE, CLOSE IT. COPY IT TO ANOTHER LOCATION LIKE YOUR DESKTOP, SAVE IT AND THEN COPY IT BACK TO THE INSTALL FOLDER.
Attached File  UO0002.jpg   170.94K   46 downloads

Now, proceed with the second install. If you had to follow the instructions for the unsupported third party controller, then run solely the "dpinst.exe" file.
In both cases it will tell you that you are installing unsigned drivers. Do it.

Point 4) If everything went fine, and install of both parts is green and done. Open your control panel, again device manager. Now select your pad and click update drivers. Now tell him to search locally and at the second window to select it manually from a list. You should have a XBCD Driver Certificate now avalaible. Install it.
Attached File  UO0003.jpg   89.71K   48 downloads

Point 5) Now open with admin priviliges the XBCD Setup Utility. If your pad is being recognized, you're good. On the lower part of the utility you should see a drop down list. Open it and select Triggers as Split Axes. Now open your control panel and from devices and printers check your pad if is correctly calibrated, otherwise do it from setting.
Attached File  UO0004.jpg   90.72K   45 downloads
Attached File  UO0005.jpg   82.87K   35 downloads

That's all. Now you should be able to blip and heel&toe with your fingers. Happy racing!

Edited by leon_90, Feb 12 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#2 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 09:19 AM

Hi Leon

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I've been looking for years for a solution that works, there was a thread some years ago. Didn't succed in splitting the trigger axis up to now. Going to try your path asap and will report.
BTW: Most GPLer don't think the pad is a good input device. But I do have a G27 and still prefer the pad for a quick hotlap once in a while.

#3 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 09:30 AM

let me know Alter ;) remember to make a restoration point as first thing in case something goes wrong and you want a safe exit and to use XBCD drivers 0.2.7, this one is also very important

#4 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 164 posts

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 10:09 AM

It works!!!
Interesting: The steering calibration seems to have altered.
BTW: Shouldn't we restore the Integrity checks?

#5 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostAlter, on Feb 13 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Interesting: The steering calibration seems to have altered.

As i wrote in the guide, if your sticks calibration is wrong after the driver certificate change then re-calibrate the pad from the "settings" inside games peripherals ;)

View PostAlter, on Feb 13 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

BTW: Shouldn't we restore the Integrity checks?

I'm sorry I don't understand :(

#6 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 164 posts

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 10:37 AM

1) Did recalibrating but it feels a bit different, had to decrease steering ratio from 8:1 to 6:1.

2) https://sabrent.com/....php?article=14 shows how to disable integrity checks temporalily. Restored it now.

So after all these years trying to get XBCD running with your guide finally succeded. I'm still not shure what I did wrong in the past. There are a lot of mystic steps: Disable integrity checks, enable testing mode, some resets of the PC an so on. But now it works. Thanks a lot Leon!

Edited by Alter, Feb 13 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#7 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted Feb 13 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostAlter, on Feb 13 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

1) Did recalibrating but it feels a bit different, had to decrease steering ratio from 8:1 to 6:1.

check your XBCD Setup Utility ;) it adds deadzone and different sensitivity to the pad for optimal precision. Tweak it to your liking ;)
Happy it worked :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links