davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 16 2015 - 09:39 PM

I finally got around to trying out Jani's great discovery of simulating night racing for the Sportscars. :)
Attached File  Maison Blanche.JPG   65.22K   106 downloads

(start to read at post #23) http://srmz.net/inde...opic=6600&st=15

To get this feature go to Martin's (MECH's) great GPL site to download GPL Fog.
http://home.planet.n...e/Downloads.htm

For further realism add Lee's excellent pitstop patch.
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=10007

We can for 24 Hours of Daytona & the 24 Hours of Le Mans make 3 races (long) to simulate day>night>day.
Start the first heat (daylight race) with the trackGT ini without fog (night) settings. After exporting
the results for determining the winner by aggregate ( I will explain a little later) adjust the GPL Fog Tool
to add night to the 2nd heat.(One might need to adjust the dlong_speed_adj_coeff setting in the night track ini
to slow the ai if the player is slower in the night version). After the 2nd heat (night race) export again the results
to save for figuring the outcome.
While resting in the bunkhouse as your co-driver does his stint ;) use the GPL Fog Tool to remove the night setting and
if needed readjust the dlong to it's original setting to speed ai up for the daylight final heat race.After completion,
export these results. To figure out the overall results for the 3 heats one can use a program such as Excel to make
a tabulation sheet. Example :
Attached File  spreadsheet.JPG   114.14K   96 downloads

For 12 Hrs of Sebring , a combination of 3 (day>day>night) Intermediate or pro short races would be half of the 24 hr
races descibed above.

EDIT : See post #6 for further options of 1 time qualifying & retiring ai opponents from further heats.

Perhaps some savvy individual with good knowledge of Excel can come up with a better formulation
template. :wave:

Edited by davef, May 29 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#2 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted May 17 2015 - 04:00 AM

Hi Dave,
I'd suggest to use the weather patch for one of the daylight races ;)

#3 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 17 2015 - 01:49 PM

I'd sum up the distance/gaps not the positions after each heat.

#4 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted May 17 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hi Jani :)

Yes, Lee's weather patch will add even more immersion to Endurance racing in GPL.
found here :
http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9961
Thank you again for this amazing discovery using GPL Fog ! :up:

Michkov,

Thank you for your suggestion, I was originally aiming for that type of tabulation, but could not find it in my
outdated Microsoft Office Excel 2007. After many minutes of experimenting I came across the AutoSum>average format
and called it good. My GPL rig is old & has limited free space so I am content with this for now, unless someone can
suggest/point me to a different formula/function I can use in Excel 2007.

@ Michel. thank you for bringing up the fact that we can add realism to these races ! :hat-tip:

As Greg suggested in the GPL Fog topic, Daytona can be a little more realistic looking with the night settings at
less density. I offer two choices to review that I thought were practical. They are still lighter then Greg's suggestion
of 5.0 (500), so some of you might like that better.

3.5 or 350 : This setting to me is very similar to the current Rolex/Nascar night racing we see now. Most evident
in the pitlane view :
Attached File  pits.JPG   78.12K   46 downloadsAttached File  infield.JPG   69.55K   49 downloadsAttached File  front stretch.JPG   84.48K   43 downloads
The pits do not look like they are having a power outage as at Le Mans when you drive past. :lol:

4.5 or 450 ; This setting is probably more Historically correct for the GPL Sportscars.
Attached File  pits.JPG   70.91K   44 downloadsAttached File  infield.JPG   69.49K   44 downloadsAttached File  front stretch.JPG   83.57K   33 downloads

The difference can be seen in the pitlane view and is more subtle in the other two screenies. But in game
the infield & backstretch appear darker. I'm sure some of you will have your own preferences & I would
love to hear them. :wave:

Edited by davef, May 17 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#5 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted May 17 2015 - 08:50 PM

These settings seem to have an added effect for Maddog Martin's Burn Rubber in Blue add-on :)

Attached File  burn rubber blue1.JPG   48.9K   53 downloadsAttached File  burn ribber blue 2.JPG   76.54K   45 downloads

#6 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted May 17 2015 - 09:22 PM

And to avoid having to qualify more then once, save your practice results and exit out of GPL.
Now the player can go into his "players" subfolder of your main GPL install and backup/copy the .svg file for the race (eg. dayto24h.svg)
After the first race is complete and your results exported for tabulation, rename the svg file and back it up again for the final (3rd) race.
Now you can run the 2nd stint without having to re-qualify.After the 2nd stint has been completed and results saved, once
again rename the .svg file to complete the final race. :)

But if you want to add the realism of ai retirements this will not work. The only way to eliminate the retired ai from further races in the series
is to remove them from the driver ini ( be sure to backup/copy before). So if Phil Hill is retired in the 2nd race you will edit the ini to make him not appear in the 3rd heat. Don't forget to edit the drivers following the removed driver eg.[driver #] to make the rest appear in the race.
This choice will mean you will have to qualify (run practice session) before the next race.

So in other words 2 options> : 1 time only qualify = no simulated retirements of ai will be allowed.
                                                  simulated retirements = running practices sessions before all races will be required.

Edited by davef, May 17 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#7 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTR2, Music
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 18 2015 - 03:20 AM

davef, thank you sir :hat-tip:

This is simply perfect. A while ago thought about how to simulate endurance races but never looked into it, this is just great.

Thanks also to Lee, MECH, fajanko (and any other if i miss someone) for the tools and tips that make this possible.

#8 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted May 18 2015 - 04:08 AM

I had a plan earlier this year to organize a chain of online races at Spa. Finally I decided to call off the idea. But I'm curious about your opinion :)

“Groundhog's 24 hours of Spa“

24 hours would be 12x2h, but only 4 races as team mates would drive their stints in the same race.

Round 1 3x2h (36 laps?) Sunny
Round 2 3x2h (36 laps?) Weather3
Round 3 3x2h (36 laps?) Night6/7
Round 4 3x2h (36 laps?) Sunny

I'd suggest to have four drivers in a team, and best three results would count. This might help if someone suffer a disconnection or other technical difficulties.

This would allow to race 4 teams/16 drivers - maybe 5/20. Based on my bandwidth theoratically I can host a full grid event but never tried :)

No points given. Race laps and race times add up, most laps and least time wins.

Team mates must use the same chassis all along the four rounds. If it would go Chaparral only, we might bend the realism more and specify car usage to three marquee per team.

#9 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted May 18 2015 - 06:59 AM

Dave, you are rather generous with the spectator count for Daytona during the 24 hours.  B)

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted May 21 2015 - 04:12 AM

Jani a great idea!

Some suggestions...

- Let's have league teams of the online active GPL communities
- A team should have limited tokens for the cars, so a 4x Chapparal 2F would not be possible ;)

#11 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 823 posts

Posted May 21 2015 - 12:01 PM

Yes Axel, it should be an interleague event :)

#12 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 823 posts

Posted May 26 2015 - 01:53 AM

So I'm looking for leagues which would like to compete in this series of races. Please write your prefered day and a time window for the races.

Real Spa24h will be held on 21-26 July 2015, so I think we should run these four events in July.

#13 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted May 26 2015 - 06:10 AM

I think the GH Thursday Night schedule would fit ;)

I will ask at UKGPL and Funliga for interest to join.

#14 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,245 posts

Posted May 26 2015 - 11:59 AM

View Postfajanko, on May 18 2015 - 04:08 AM, said:

I had a plan earlier this year to organize a chain of online races at Spa. Finally I decided to call off the idea. But I'm curious about your opinion :)

“Groundhog's 24 hours of Spa“

24 hours would be 12x2h, but only 4 races as team mates would drive their stints in the same race.

Round 1 3x2h (36 laps?) Sunny
Round 2 3x2h (36 laps?) Weather3
Round 3 3x2h (36 laps?) Night6/7
Round 4 3x2h (36 laps?) Sunny

I'd suggest to have four drivers in a team, and best three results would count. This might help if someone suffer a disconnection or other technical difficulties.

This would allow to race 4 teams/16 drivers - maybe 5/20. Based on my bandwidth theoratically I can host a full grid event but never tried :)

No points given. Race laps and race times add up, most laps and least time wins.

Team mates must use the same chassis all along the four rounds. If it would go Chaparral only, we might bend the realism more and specify car usage to three marquee per team.

I’ve always wondered what a realistic mid-60s era Endurance race online simulation would be like in GPL.  If VROC is used where multiple classes is allowed and using the Advanced Trainer option in GEM, we could have car classes which replicate old races where our lap times range from: 3:28 (GT Ferrari 330/P4 -top speed 213 mph) to 3:49 (AT GT Ferrari 330/P4 - top speed 169 mph) or a 110% difference.

With those classes, the fastest GT cars would pass the slowest in 11 laps, roughly.  In a one hour event, the Standard cars would do 18 laps while the slower ATs would do 16.  The faster cars would pass the whole field of slowest cars at least once.  The closing speeds might be as high as 44 mph, which would be very interesting. In the 1967 Spa 1000 km race, the lap times varied from 4:22 (Mirage M1) to 5:58 (Matra Djet 5S) over the full race or a 137% difference.

I’m not sure if many people would be interested in driving a slow car versus the fast cars though, but possibly over the races everyone could drive in each class.

The procedure is simply to select the car and class that you’d be driving in GEM and join VROC through GEM.  In VROC, you’d select “default” class and team in the join window.  Or use Multiplayer through GPL using the server IP address.

Posted Image

Edited by Bob Simpson, May 26 2015 - 02:41 PM.

#15 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted May 26 2015 - 07:17 PM

I'm back and I've done some Excel-fu. Looking at the algorithm here it looks longer than it is. After running through it once or twice it's quite handy. Maybe someone can macro it.

Anyway here is what I came up with:
  • To start get the race reports from GPLRA
  • Copy the results into a text file. Just put an empty line between different races. In the end it will look like this.
    Pos No Driver						 Team	 Nat Laps Race Time	 Diff Problem
    1 9 Iestyn Davies				 Lotus GBR 35 60m35.151s		
    2 3 Tristan Bot					 Lotus FRA 35 60m58.011s 22.860s
    3 14 Robert Fleurke				 Eagle HOL 35 60m58.729s 23.578s
    4 19 Gregory Taber				 Eagle USA 35 61m25.593s 50.442s

Pos No Driver						 Team	 Nat Laps Race Time	 Diff Problem
    1 10 Iestyn Davies				 Eagle GBR 18 60m11.593s		
    2 12 Gregory Taber				 Ferrari USA 18 61m04.740s 53.147s
    3 15 Killer Miele				 Lotus GER 18 61m49.623s 1m38.030s
    4 14 Michi Kovacs				 Eagle AUT 18 61m50.666s 1m39.073s	 Brakes
    5 9 Col Bentley					 Cooper GBR 18 62m19.914s 2m08.321s
    6 6 Burt August					 Eagle USA 18 62m58.448s 2m46.855s Unknown

• Save the txt file and open it via Excel
  • In the prompt choose fixed with (2nd option) and choose next
  • Set dividers if necessary
  • Click through the dialogue until in the main spreadsheet.
  • Delete columns as necessary. I suggest keeping only NAME LAPS and RACE TIME
  • Select LAPS and RACE TIME columns
  • Open the search and replace window (ctrl+h)
  • Replace m with :
  • s with nothing
  • . with , *
  • Deselect LAPS and TIME cols
  • Delete the DNS drivers/server
  • Create a new col between LAPS and RACE TIME
  • Enter following formula in the second cell of the new column
    =D2*86400

This gives you the time in seconds
  • So now for the fun part, delete the blank lines and header line expect the topmost.
  • Select all values in the first 3 columns (NAME, LAPS, TIME)
  • Go to the Insert tab 2nd item from the left, top of the window.
  • There select Pivot Table
  • OK the window
  • Check all three boxes on the right and you should get a line for each unique name**
  • Sort by Time than by Laps, both descending and you are done.
I tested this in a German version of Excel 07. Apart from the previously mentioned comma for period difference, functions are named differently. But AFAIK there are no functions in this so that should be no problem.

Questions, confused? Just post below and I'll be around and try to solve the issue.

* If your version of Excel uses commas instead of periodes as decimal mark. And there is no way of changing that except ramming more money down Microsofts throat. :censored:
** IMPORTANT if you got drivers using different names in different races (ie Michkov65 & MIchkov67) you have to change the names manually. Else they show up as 2 separate drivers in the Pivottable.

Edited by Michkov, Jun 21 2015 - 03:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links