Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Papyrus, ISI
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for approving my membership.

I've always enjoyed racing games, but I only just picked up my first wheel and started to delve into sim racing within the past couple of years. I have the latest games like rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa, but I also find myself working backwards in time to discover the roots of sim racing. I enjoy collecting the older classics like GP4, NR2003, GTL, GTR2 (+P&G) and now GPL. They're all brand new to me and I enjoy them on their own, but they also give me a better appreciation for the history and evolution of more recent titles.

Hand-in-hand with my sim racing, I've recently become much more of a real motorsport fan. Now I follow many current series as well as looking back at older historical cars and races and films on Youtube. GPL is a great companion as I come to appreciate more about the history of the sport.

I used the GPLPS installer and I'm working my way down the list installing mods, updates and tracks from the gplworld guide. I'm also going the try the FFB update and see if I can dial in my wheel settings. Aside from following guide instructions, I don't know too much about GEM, but it looks like there are plenty of tips here on the forum for me to read through.

Glad to be here.

#2 rtc552

rtc552

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:sim racing, firearms, motorsports, reading.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 02:08 PM

Wonderful guys here. Their willingness to help all newcomers is second to none,   and has helped to keep GPL alive and well.Great to have you aboard.

Edited by rtc552, Feb 19 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#3 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 02:19 PM

Welcome to gpl world!

#4 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,699 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Feb 19 2015 - 06:57 PM

Thank You for joining our community!
Welcome! :)

#5 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,756 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 05:36 AM

Hello paolgp

Thx for your nice 1st post introducing yourself here.
Welcome to the sim racing universe and especially to GPL! There is a lot to explore. :)

Feel free to ask if you have a problem and you can`t find a solution via the search function of SRMZ.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 20 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#6 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 769 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 05:44 AM

Welcome aboard!

I was also planning on catching up on older sims like NR2003, GTR and GTL but there's something about GPL that's got me addicted, it's pretty much all I've driven since I returned to sim racing a year ago.

There's a huge amount of content available here and its easy to get lost in it all, in the end I just focussed on the mods and their championship and non-championship tracks..... I'll get to the other stuff eventually.

Joining GPLRank is also a great way of motivating yourself to go faster, there are some very impressive times on there set by some of the greatest drivers in sim racing.

Enjoy! :up:

#7 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 07:43 AM

Welcome to SRMZ!!

#8 paolgp

paolgp

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 10:11 AM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I also want to thank all of the community and modders who continue to keep GPL active and release updates and new content after all these years.

View PostFat Rich, on Feb 20 2015 - 05:44 AM, said:

I was also planning on catching up on older sims like NR2003, GTR and GTL but there's something about GPL that's got me addicted, it's pretty much all I've driven since I returned to sim racing a year ago.

Joining GPLRank is also a great way of motivating yourself to go faster, there are some very impressive times on there set by some of the greatest drivers in sim racing.

Thanks, I probably switch between too many different games and my lap times suffer. Another part of the appeal of GPL is to practice of back-to-basics driving fundamentals that I can apply to other cars and sims. I'm sure to be at the bottom of the list right now, but I'll take a look at GPLRank for some inspiration.

#9 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,392 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 20 2015 - 11:07 AM

Welcome Paol.
Enjoy gpl it's a great experience.
Your explanation of gpl and sim racing was spot on. I think it encapulates why myself and most members here enjoy the sim.
I am sure you have seen these links but just in case check them out.

http://www.gpllinks.org/

http://gpltd.bcsims.com/

http://www.gplworld.de/

And also check not only the year mods but the brilliant 67historical update!

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8705

Welcome again.

TP:

PS: Also check out on you tube the series "Let's Race Grand Prix Legends" by Danny Karnage.

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 20 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#10 paolgp

paolgp

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Feb 21 2015 - 10:26 AM

twinpotter, thanks for the links and for pointing out the 67 Historical update. I didn't see that one mentioned in the guides I was following.

I do enjoy the Youtube videos and they really helped convince me to finally pick up GPL. Seeing videos of Spa 67, Can-Am 71 and Jim Pearson's work on IoM among others led me to try the demo, then I knew I had to pick up a copy of this classic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links