Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 05:45 AM

Hi lads,

using the 3d rims provided with the GPL installer (1.07) I found that the Ferrari one are wrong. Yes, in mirror you see them in 3D, but the 3do is wrong. The Ferrari should have brake disks inside front wheels rims, instead with this 3d modification it has them on it's rear wheels. Also, tyres dimensions are wrong. I posted screens so you can see the problem.
It seems to me that only the Ferrari suffers from this problem.

I noticed that these 3do are from 2003. No one noticed such an error (not talking about who made this file) in 12 years?
In case someone would like to make a fix, here are screens

normal GPLEA 3do
Attached File  right.png   1.13MB   235 downloads

3D rims 3do
Attached File  wrong.png   1.13MB   238 downloads

Edited by leon_90, Feb 04 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 07:14 AM

Nice finding Leo.
Now I would like to help out but I don't know where to start.
Hope MECH or TVO can see this and help out. :)

#3 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 07:33 AM

It's fixable, but instead of fixing these wheels, perhaps it's better to adapt a 1965 or 1969 wheel to the car. They have a higher poly count so will look better, and have 3d in mirrors too ;) .

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yes Tommie but wouldn't it make the tyres' size wrong? 65 tyres are smaller and 69 bigger than 67

BTW since you are here Tommie, I've sent you a PM some days ago, when you have some free time could you give it a read?

Thank you nontheless Ginetto :)

#5 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 07:54 AM

Actually mine are OK. The discs are were they should. These are for the 48v of the historical carsets, based on GPLEA 312 48V_v3 (ferrari.3do dd. 15/01/2003) and it is the same for all 36v versions too.

Attached Files

Edited by G.Spinning, Feb 04 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#6 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 08:07 AM

Gianfranco have you checked if they are in 3d in mirrors? I'll give it a shot as soon as I get to my computer

#7 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 09:51 AM

Leon, I admit I don't understand what you mean with being 3d in mirrors. I don't see anything unnatural or different than with  the other cars. What should I expect? :wave:

#8 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 10:49 AM

It must be an issue of some bad gfx update used in 1.07 installer (I've never used it, so that's just a guess). I use good old Van Gossum's wheels for my Ferrari and brake discs are located where they're supposed to be.

#9 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 11:23 AM

No no lads you're not getting the Point, but that's due to My bad explanation of the problem.

Ok, when you install GPL with latest installer (1.07), in your "repository" folder you'll find a subfolder "gplps installer". Inside there is another subfolder "3D rims in mirrors". Using the 3dos provided with that folder you will be able to see rims of other cars in 3D in your mirrors, while normally they are in 2D. The problem is that the 3do provided for Ferrari shifts the position of the brake disks in a wrong way. So, you'll get the rims rendered in 3d while watching in your mirrors a Ferrari car, but brake disks are in wrong position.

Hope it's clearer now :) Gianfranco I'll check your files and see if they works. Anyway, to check them you simply have to slowly pass near AI cars in pits for a race events and look in your mirrors. If rims are in 3D, everything is working as expected. Then look at brake disks from an external view, and see if they are in the correct position.

#10 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 11:33 AM

Yeah the 1965 or 1969 wheels are a different size, but Rory Gibson made a program called 3doresize to resize wheels.

I've seen your PM Leon but haven't gotten round to trying out the files yes. i've been a bit busy :D . will try them out asap.

#11 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 12:15 PM

Thank you Leon. Now I do understand. Using objects in the mirrors, I never realized that  the other cars' rims I had in my mirror were in 2d. I missed the add-on. ;)

Edit: did you try to rename the front to rear and viceversa?

Attached Files

Edited by G.Spinning, Feb 04 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#12 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 04:14 PM

Gianfranco I checked your Ferrari wheels 3dos. They are standard GPLEA ones, that's why they have the correct brakes disks positions, but of course they don't have 3d rims in mirrors :(

Well, I guess things will stay this way. It's a pity but I must be honest, I had not much hope from the start. At least, people, use this thread as a memento to not install Ferrari 3d rims in mirrors cause they are wrong.

#13 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 04 2015 - 04:15 PM

PS Tommie 65 and 69 rims cannot be used, even if resized, cause or they have no transparency inside the rims (69) or have different shape (65) than 67

#14 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,374 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Feb 05 2015 - 10:12 AM

I must have worked on solving this issue for over 6 hours last night.  All forms of file re-naming, mixing and even changing the mip 'calls' within the wheel/tire 3do files does not get it fixed.  The only thing that I've managed, with the 3D files, is to correct the rear brake discs by not having them show through the spokes (as they were in-board brakes on the rear).  I have the rear 3do files call a small 'invisible' mip.  But, to get the brake discs on the the front to show.... I believe that some manipulation within the front wheel/tire 3do files must be made.  This is beyond my skills... at the moment.

BTW, if you check on the Honda RA273 and RA300 with the 3D wheels.... you will see that the same effect occurs as on the Ferrari 312.  The rear brake discs show through the spokes (which is correct for the Honda), but, the front brake discs are not visible.

Edited by gliebzeit, Feb 05 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#15 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted Feb 05 2015 - 11:18 AM

Mm well probably then this modification has more problems than expected. Maybe it would be be best to have it re-done from scratch but that's more than I would dare to ask to other people for their free time. Since no one noticed such things in such a long time shows that most probably very few people uses it. It was a nice addition though.

Thank you Greg for the time you spent on this issue, I really appreciate it and the fact that you tried everything you could to solve it. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links