• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 09:58 AM

Will be too much ask for a tutorial of how replace the tachometer neddle for a texture? :please:

Edited by hagapito40, Jan 23 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#2 leon_90

leon_90

Hotlapper

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 10:52 AM

I should have some sort of tutorial written to me by Ginetto, I'll look into it asap

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,957 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 12:42 PM

Here's a way of removing the needle in this car file.alaook at  read me.Needle could be in the dash mip so maybe look in there by using something like winmip.Not sure about replacing and changing texture as you require.Ginetto tutorial or some more advice from other members could be of great help!

Attached Files

Edited by twinpotter, Jan 23 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Hotlapper

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 03:00 PM

Mmm no sorry Hagapito, it was just a guide about needles transparency :( sorry :(

#5 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 23 2015 - 03:16 PM

No problem Leon Thanks for your time anyway! ;)

#6 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,413 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jan 24 2015 - 05:21 AM

I think you need to ask Sky for it; he did it once and I think he wrote a tutorial of some sort.

In short you need GPL track editor; add a new texture to the 3do and then change the reference of the tach polygon probably by changing the node type via hexedit but I'm not sure now; is a long time I don't work on it.

#7 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 24 2015 - 06:10 PM

Thanks ginetto! i was trying to do that with GPL track editor usig the Ferrari 36v with Silence neddle like reference but i allways finish miss around!!! :hithead:

#8 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 25 2015 - 10:11 AM

Yes I saw Sky did texture the Ferrari tach needle once?

Would be nice if Sky could show the tutorial he made :) . In case he is not around or the tutorial is gone, I can show you how it's done too :) .

Tommie.

#9 leon_90

leon_90

Hotlapper

• Members
  • 1,623 posts

Posted Jan 25 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostTvO, on Jan 25 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

Yes I saw Sky did texture the Ferrari tach needle once?

Would be nice if Sky could show the tutorial he made :) . In case he is not around or the tutorial is gone, I can show you how it's done too :) .

Tommie.

That'd be great Tommie :) please can you share your tutorial?

#10 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 26 2015 - 08:26 AM

Be my guest Tommie! every knowledge count! :up:

#11 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted Jan 28 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hi all,

I'm going to use the standard GPLEA Brabham v2.1 as an example. Open brabham.3do with GPLTrack Editor (http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3332). Normal car directory is C:\Sierra\GPL\cars\cars67\brabham

Click on the 'Add String' button, top row, most right one with a little star. Now you can give your new needle texture a new name. I'm calling it 'b_ndl' in this example.

After that, expand the NRTS "STRN" section. You'll get a bunch of messages saying 'Doesn't have a handler', that's not a problem :) .

Scroll down to the bottom of the list. Take note of the string offset of your new texture, in this case 720. Write it down somewhere, take a mental note or a screenshot, whatever it takes to keep you from forgetting this value.

Now, expand the MIRP "PRIM" section, and go to the 'ptach' entry. Keep expanding the tree until the end, which is a Flavor 4 node with 2 children, which are the two polygons used for the needle. Right now they are untextured, and you can give them a color by changing the color of the polygon itself. I've explained how you can do this here: http://srmz.net/inde...50 . However, in this tutorial you want to give the polygons a texture so you can change the shape and color through an image.

Select the Flavor 4 node, and press the 'F2' key. This makes GPLTrack Editor draw the tree you've selected (the Flavor 4 node) which contains the two needle poly's. Zoom in a lot to see the poly's. Now, press and hold the Shift key, and drag the image window so you see the Z (height) and Y (width) axis, and not the X (lenght) axis. Perhaps you can also use the View --> X-Y-Z Views function of GPLTrack Editor for this. In any case, make sure you see the polygons as clearly as possible. Then, select the button 'Point Numbers', the button with the line and red dot, second row of buttons in top left corner, four buttons from the right. GPLTrack Editor is an old program, and will not show the numbers well for Windows 7 and up. If you have problems seeing the numbers, use a basic Windows interface, like Classic or 'Windows 7 Basic'. That will solve any display problems.

So, now you can view the polygons and their vertex numbers in all their glory.

As you can see, there is a gap in the middle where the needle fixture and rotation point is. We need to eliminate that so we can span the texture over a square more easily. In this example using the standard GPLEA Brabham v2.1, this means that the bottom needle polygon needs to use vertex 95 instead of 91, and vertex 94 instead of 92. So, double click on the bottom poly (remember you can select and press F2 to see which is which) and change the vertex entry [91] to 95, and [92] to 94 by double clicking on the entries.

So it looks like this:

Now your two poly's are connected to each other so there's no gap and your texture will look correct.

Now, write down or screenshoot the vertices used by your two needle poly's, and make sure you write them down in the correct order. So for poly 1 in this example it's [89], [90], [95], [94] and for poly 2 it's [93], [94], [95], [96].

Now, select the first poly, right click it, and select 'Insert' --> 'Replace Node'.

Select Flavor 0x5 (sub 5) Selection.

Click OK. This will shake the tree up a bit, but your newly created Flavor 5 subtype 5 node should still be selected, recognisable by dummy offset [cdcdcd]. Double click on your new node, and select your needle texture string offset which you've written down earlier, 720 in this example, and Display Class 13 (display classes have something to do with the in-game options menu, where you tick and untick stuff). Select OK.

Now expand your new Flavor 5 node, select and right click the empty node it contains, and select 'Insert' --> 'Replace Node' again.

Now, select Flavor 0x81F Polygon Textured from the list.

This will shake up the tree again, but you should be able to find your newly created polygon. Double click on it, and change the dummy vertex entries to the entries you've written down from the old polygon, so [89], [90], [95], [94]. Then, enter the following U, V coördinates for the texture (where U is horizontal and V is vertical, more info here: http://srmz.net/inde...33 ). Make sure these values are in this order!

U: 0.0 V: 1.0
U: 1.0 V: 1.0
U: 1.0 V: 0.7333
U: 0.0 V: 0.7333

Select OK .

That's the bottom poly done! Now you just have to do the same routine for the other poly. So, select the other poly, insert --> replace with Flavor 5 sub 5, change texture string entry and display class, then insert --> replace the empty node with Flavor 81F polygon, and enter the right vertex numbers and texture coördinates for the poly. In case you forgot to write it down, for poly 2 the vertex numbers were [93], [94], [95], [96]. The texture coördinates for poly 2 are as follows:

U: 0.0 V: 0.0
U: 0.0 V: 0.7333
U: 1.0 V: 0.7333
U: 1.0 V: 0.0

So poly 2 should look as follows:

Now you're done!! So let's save it. GPLTrack Editor will display a message that the section lenght has changed, this is no problem as we've lengthened the file (shortening gives some problems, but they can be cured easily should you want to).

Now don't forget to place your new needle texture in the brabham car folder! Or you'll not be able to enter the track. I've called mine b_ndl, so I need to place a b_ndl.mip inside the brabham car folder.

Now take your Brabham with your rev needle out for a spin!

Hmm, the needle looks very narrow. You might want to try widening it. You can find and change the vertex locations in the GPLTrack Editor SZYX "XYZS" section. locate the vertices which you've written down earlier when you were editing the poly's. Lower the Z (height) value of the left side vertices a bit (maybe -0.001), but make sure you increase the Z value of the right side vertices with the same increment (+0.001), or your needle location will not correspond with the rotation point any more and will start to wander off the gauge. I'll leave this finetuning up to you :) .

Here's the brabham.3do I made in this tutorial:

And a needle texture Sky made for the Ferrari, which I've used in this tutorial. Download Leon's Ferrari cockpit update, which has this needle included, here: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9617 .

Edited by TvO, Jan 28 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#12 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted Jan 28 2015 - 07:38 PM

Couldn't help myself and pulled a semi-all-nighter to find the right values for the needle. I found a texture coördinate value of V: 0.5894 instead of 0.7333 eliminates any texture warping, and I've given the needle coördinates a Z value of -0.0025 and +0.0025 for the left and right side. Texture needs some work to make the fixture in the middle though, it's a little off. But it looks better :) .

I'll never learn to just go to bed :rolleyes: .

#13 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 29 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostTvO, on Jan 28 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Couldn't help myself and pulled a semi-all-nighter to find the right values for the needle. I found a texture coördinate value of V: 0.5894 instead of 0.7333 eliminates any texture warping, and I've given the needle coördinates a Z value of -0.0025 and +0.0025 for the left and right side. Texture needs some work to make the fixture in the middle though, it's a little off. But it looks better :) .

I'll never learn to just go to bed :rolleyes: .

This is made on the XYZS section looking for the point 9x numbers right? so what it does is move the points on the space to make the rectangle longer or  wider right? (now i remember why i left pc graphics back in 98 to come back years ago with a more friendly enviroment LOL!)

#14 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted Jan 29 2015 - 11:12 AM

Yes that's is exactly what it does :)

#15 hagapito40

hagapito40

On the search...

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 30 2015 - 06:46 PM

Tommie many thanks for your help! until now i was able to change the Parks Ferrari needle but when i try with the 32v allway get a streched textured...not sure if i mess the UVs. i will keep tryng and post some pics y next few days...

Thanks again for the tutorial is great!!!

#16 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted Feb 02 2015 - 05:20 PM

Maybe the order of the UV's has to be different. Make sure you know which vertices are top left, bottom right etc and adjust your UV coordinates accordingly. I.e. the top left vertex should have UV 0;0, and bottom right vertex should be UV 1;1 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links