leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 28 2014 - 12:19 PM

Mech I think you wrote a third R in Chaparral. I see three R. Just pointing out, don't know if it's correct that way. Tried to google it, no luck.

#17 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 28 2014 - 12:43 PM

View Postleon_90, on Nov 28 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Mech I think you wrote a third R in Chaparral. I see three R. Just pointing out, don't know if it's correct that way. Tried to google it, no luck.
I was just having fun, hence 3 r's.
Should have used sjaparral.com to make the point ;)

#18 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 06:46 AM

From now on I'll just use:
Posted Image

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostPaddy the Irishman, on Nov 28 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Pete writes
"A true auto tranny will not only use a torque converter, but bands and clutches in the tranny  that are shifted by oil pressure through the valve body"

Well, perhaps they were there.(Edit - or the dog clutches were worked by oil pressure?) I will grant that Jim 'hoodwinked' everyone about the nature of the early transmission, but I can not think that Hissom would, unnecessarily, make a statement that he (and Jim by implication) were able to keep their hands on the wheel at all times, nor that a respected auto-historian such as Doug Nye would allow his name to be on a book containing the Specification Chart that I include, without verifying all details.

I add further, that Jim Hall wrote a foreword to the book with Hissom's statement in it and also a statement from Bruce Jennings that I missed photoing and attaching the first time, now typed out to save bother -

"The 2D was my favorite car.  It handled just the way I liked at Sebring in 1967 (note date P) I blew off Andretti and Foyt in the Fords on the straight. I really loved doing that. The automatic transmission was fantastic.  It was very easy to operate and it was a real plus factor because you could concentrate on driving, not shifting". 'Bruce Jennings'

I'm not going to budge from saying that there was a three-speed automatic transmission in the later cars - and I expect that you, gleibzeit, will probably not budge from the contrary position.  Let's leave it at that  - (Now my emoticons will not work !  Consider yourself to be the recipient of a 'Real Big Hug' !)

Meanwhile, my abject apologies for misspelling "Chaparral" on occasion :hithead:(Emoticon worked that time)..
Having lived in AZ for about 5 years and having the greatest respect for Jim and his cars, I should have known better

I'm not saying it didn't have an auto tranny in the car Paddy. I'm saying it couldn't have been a dog clutch tranny that shifted by itself.

#20 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 08:50 AM

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9587

Edited by John Woods, Nov 29 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#21 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 10:09 AM

I don't get the link. All the video showed is a 50's version of how a torque converter works.

#22 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 10:12 AM

I can't imagine anyone ever driving a race car where the timing of the shifts (particularly the down-shifts) are not precisely controlled by the driver.  That just doesn't make sense.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Nov 29 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#23 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 10:57 AM

I can't either in those days. It can be done, and is done today with computers, but certainly not in the old days.

#24 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 10:59 AM

I tend to agree, so perhaps why they 'had to adapt' I suppose.  

Try the 2F on automatic see how you get on.!

I did some more Googling and came on http://ashcom.homest...m/elford2j.html a good read. but if you don't have time to read the lot, the excerpt that, I think bears on it is from paras 11-14.  (I tried to copy and paste, but I can't copy white type)

:dino:

#25 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 11:28 AM

Just copy it in notepad and from there to the forum :)

Tell me about the cars automatic transmission:  "It was a semi-automatic transmission, it wasn't fully automatic.  It had a three-speed transmission with a torque converter and a lock-up at 5,000 rpm.  It was quite complicated to get it running.  The steering column went down between your two feet so the left foot could only work the brake and the right foot could only work the gas pedal.

Was driving a car set up that way something of a shock to you? "By sheer luck, really, a year earlier I had a bad accident at the Nurburgring in the Grand Prix, which destroyed my shoulder.  I was in physical therapy for weeks, suffering day after day.  At that time, Grand Prix drivers all used to have a complimentary car from the FORD motor company in Great Britain.  We could have what we liked and, as I had a wife and a couple of kids then, I had a big Zodiac, which was the top of the line sedan in England.  The car was an automatic and I had never had an automatic car before so while I had it I thought I'll learn to brake with my left foot.

"I had never done it before so it took me about three months to really learn to do it efficiently.  Now I do it automatically every time I get in a car with an automatic transmission. I always break with my left foot now.  I wasn't doing it in anticipation of the ride in the Chaparral; I just decided I was going to learn how to do it.  When it came time to drive the 2J of course, I was ready for it, as I had no trouble with it.

Did the cars transmission put you at a disadvantage at the start? "At Road Atlanta, Denny Hulme was in the first McLaren and Peter Gethin was in the second one and they all blew me away at the start.  I remember that, at 5,000 rpm's the transmission dogs would just lock up.  From there on it was solid drive and that went all the way up to 7,600 rpm, which was about maximum in those days. One of the problems was we only had three speeds while the McLaren's and the Lola's all had four speeds.  So it didn't matter where I was on the pole because two or three cars would just blow me away at the start.

#26 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Mech, I will remember that.  Just to add,that was a quotation from Vic Elford about the 2J, but the transmission  would have been the same.

#27 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 29 2014 - 01:58 PM

The link goes to the diagram in post #5.
Is that a 2-spd or 3?
Not sure if that was Phil Hill in first video, but whoever, they could not drift at all.

Somewhere earlier today read the three gear cars were set up with equivalent of 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears on a manual shift car. Thus, no hole shots.
The 2-spd shifted up by "automatic override" at redline, or as driver let off revs a bit.
According to this link here: http://www.sportscar...Chaparral2.html

The part some may also find interesting is about driver preference, besides not shifting, for two pedals and left foot braking.

Edited by John Woods, Nov 29 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#28 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 03:41 AM

Well it says they did shift it manually, although there was an automatic override if you redlined it. Pretty cool :) .

BTW, in the sixties there was the big Mercedes Benz V8 Rote Sau touring car which ran with a full automatic.

#29 Mark Jones

Mark Jones

puts the flug in flugplatz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:GPL! GPL!! GT Mod!!!

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 05:00 AM

Fascinating links, thanks guys.

#30 Nicolas

Nicolas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Rally racing

Posted Nov 30 2014 - 02:50 PM

So the default GPL setup for manual gears, which requires you to only back off the throttle (auto clutch) would be very realistic for these Chaparrals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links