- - - - -

Anybody Being Able To Use Nvidia's Dsr With Gpl?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 03 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi lads,

as title says: anybody managed to get DSR working with GPL?
I had no luck so far, only game not supporting it of all those I have in my library :( it's a shame cause it's really a game-changing experience so far, at least for me (but I saw that it had a general consent along gamers)

For those who do not know what DSR is

http://www.geforce.c.../dsr/technology

http://techreport.co...lution-explored

EDIT "temporary" solution found in post #5

Edited by leon_90, Nov 04 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#2 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted Nov 03 2014 - 06:49 PM

GPL uses direct 3d 7 which only supports up to a certain resolution that is too low for super-sampling.

You will have to use the opengl renderer instead. This is also the case for triple screen users.

Incidentally, DSR is nothing knew, just SSAA which has been around for years. In fact, it is not even the best form of ssaa as it uses an ordered grid sample rather than a sparse sample or rotated grid.

In gpl you can also get decent results using FSAA on high and then adaptive AA (i think nvidia call it transparency AA) on high for the transparent textures (this actually uses SSAA for those textures).

You can also searxh how to do manual down sampling for opengl - i have heard you can use nvidia inspector to do this. You might also have to create custom resolutions.

Sorry i can't be of great help, however if you search about down-sampling on the internet you will see it's nothing new and this is more of a marketing gimmick by nvidia.

EDIT:
see here:

http://srmz.net/inde...topic=6459&st=0

and

http://srmz.net/inde...t=15#entry49716

Especially in the first topic, stefan shows why SGSSAA is better than OGSSAA (what DSR uses).

I think DSR is only for dx10/11 stuff anyway?
Either way, even with dx10/11 games, you're better off doing it yourself and using SGSAA than DSR. Both will have an astronomical performance hit in newer titles though.
As gpl is so old, you will be fine of course - it's not demanding at all, even for older pcs.

Edited by one2fwee, Nov 03 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#3 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Nov 03 2014 - 08:18 PM

I have to reinstall GPL (well, that 1.04 beta or whatever it is up to now) to see. I have to say DSR works wonders with NR 2003.

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted Nov 04 2014 - 04:05 AM

Thank you One2Fwee for answering me!

However I must disagree with you. DSR, while uses old techniques to render the scene at an higher resolution and then scale it down, achieve far better result than past methods. I'm not using anymore SGSAA, for 2 reasons. Or the game has an antialiasing quality good enough to make it useless, or the game has not so good antialiasing techniques but can take DSR hit.
DSR has a hit on fps but it's nothing dramatic. It is the same of rendering the scene at that exact resolution, tests have proven that. Of course if you have a 460 you are unlikely to be able of going to DHD or even 4K. That's not my case.
Plus, using a higher resolution, even if scaled, gives you far better (because bigger) textures, so the image is sharper also thanks to that, something that SGSAA, being only an antialiasing techinque, cannot deliver.

DSR is not limited to any Dx version, will work on any.

I must say that my GPL is very very sharp, so mine was more an experiment then anything else. I don't really need DSR on it. Still, I may have found a method, I'll keep you lads posted ;)

Edited by leon_90, Nov 04 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#5 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted Nov 04 2014 - 04:17 AM

Ok, found it!

Seems like GPL looks for your desktop resolution and then make it avalaible in the option menu. That's why DSR won't work in the regular way. DSR fools the game by making it believe that, in-game, you have a monitor with a higher resolution than your native one. GPL can't be fooled this way, cause as I said he looks up to desktop resolution which still remains your native one.
So, in order to have DSR in GPL, you have to go to desktop resolution with right-click on desktop, and then apply your DSR custom resolution (or from the Nvidia Control Panel). At this point, fire GPL and your DSR resolution will be avalaible in the Graphics Options menu.
However, as you might guess, your desktop will be at a higher resolution so it's not a long-term method (everything in Windows area will be smaller, DSR is optimized for games, not OS). Just use it to test DSR potential in GPL, if you have a 400/500/600/700/900 Nvidia series. I think you will be impressed.

I must say it's pretty amazing. As I told you my GPL was already very sharp but DSR makes it even better. Amazing! I hope a long-term method to apply it can be found.

Edited by leon_90, Nov 05 2014 - 03:37 AM.

#6 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 17 2014 - 07:35 PM

thks for this topic.  It wld be useful if you cld post two big captures in 1920 of different GPL scenes, with and without DSR .So everyone here can see. Please, do it with a very detailed textured track, as Targa Florio, Montjuich,ect... and if you can, the fps you get.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 17 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#7 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostM Needforspeed, on Nov 17 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

thks for this topic.  It wld be useful if you cld post two big captures in 1920 of different GPL scenes, with and without DSR .So everyone here can see. Please, do it with a very detailed textured track, as Targa Florio, Montjuich,ect... and if you can, the fps you get.

Will do. In the mean time I prepared something already thanks to your suggestion. I did some shots at Monaco (Rocks) with 67 cars, so to have the highest scenario on standard Gpl.
Back of the starting grid.

Results:

1) Image gets sharper at 2K over standard 1080p resolution; however at 4K it becomes similar (if not the same) again to standard 1080p
2) fps were 36 at 1080p, 30 at 2K and 28 at 4K; however, at 2K it sudden stabilized at 36 and locked at that frame rate. At 4K instead, there was a big loss when the race actually started with a 22 fps record

My opinion:

On my monitor with my system, 2K is the way to go. Sharper image with max fps.
My system is made of

Monitor LG22EA53 1080p, 60hz (Hdmi connected)
i5 3570k @4.2 ghz
Corsair XMS3 16gb @2.0 ghz
Nvidia GTX 970 (overclocked @ 1.4 ghz Core Clock ; 7.7 ghz Memory Clock)

I understand that this could be considered high specs and that's way I'm giving my subjective opinion about DSR. It gives you a sharper image but you must have the juice to run it.

I'll do another comparison with Can Am 71 mod at Targa Florio ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by leon_90, Nov 18 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#8 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 06:28 AM

Mind also that my Gpl is already really sharp to start with, I use 8xMSAA+8xSSAA which is an overkill setting!

I used these settings even at 2K and 4K resolution which is absolutely not necessary. I wanted to see how much stress at high demanding settings I could put in it before it gives up.
At 2K you can easily lower your AA and at 4K you can remove it almost completely, and that of course ease performances.

Unfortunately I cannot make every combination to test it in every kind of scenario :( I lack the time to do so :( so if anyone has the chance to use DSR please post your pics too and your impression, positive or negative.

Edited by leon_90, Nov 18 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#9 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 07:25 AM

Sorry to tell you, but those screenshots are not "of DSR" - they are screenshots at the native higher resolution, before downsampling.

Unfortunately, you cannot easily take screenshots of DSR as it only seems to allow you to capture an image before it downsamples it. Nvidia would have to provide a tool to capture screens after it has done the DSR downsampling in order to get an accurate image.

Basically, it won't look anyhwere near that good - if you want it to look that good then you need a 3840 * 2160 monitor, as that's the rendering resolution of the bottom screenshot.
Even if you resize the image yourself in an image editor, you will still get a better result than DSR as it uses a low quality resize method and then adds a user specified amount of gaussian blur on top.

The only other way you would be able to accurately take screenshots of DSR that i can think of is if you had an external capture device that is capable of taking 1080p un-lossy screenshots or video.

Edited by one2fwee, Nov 18 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#10 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 07:56 AM

Mm so you are saying taking screenshots is useless basically?

I've posted a review link where screenshots have been taken though, with and without DSR, so I guess it is possible..
Whether it is in the pictures or not, I use DSR and as other stated it works and it works good. Also in Gpl, 2K DSR makes my image sharper no doubt (while 4K no). In Crysis 3, AC, F1 2013, it smoothed all jaggies with no low quality effect.
Have you made some tests? Which Nvidia model you got?

Of course a native 4K monitor would be better than a DSR 4K.
Maybe I'm not getting what you are saying here

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 09:02 AM

Well, the second screenshot looks better to me. What's that one?
For comparison, what about one with DSR and one without, in same resolution?
Maybe you are already working on that for MNFS?

Thanks for working on this. Hopeful for good results.

Edit:
Using a sort of old GeForce GT 520, on which atm I find nothing about DSR in Nvidia Control Panel or Help Index. Got latest drivers for it this morning, (.375 for XP), but have not installed. Should I bother if otherwise things are okay? All I want is to check out DSR if I can.

Edited by John Woods, Nov 18 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#12 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Nov 18 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well, the second screenshot looks better to me. What's that one?
For comparison, what about one with DSR and one without, in same resolution?
Maybe you are already working on that for MNFS?

Thanks for working on this. Hopeful for good results.

Edit:
Using a sort of old GeForce GT 520, on which atm I find nothing about DSR in Nvidia Control Panel or Help Index. Got latest drivers for it this morning, (.375 for XP), but have not installed. Should I bother if otherwise things are okay? All I want is to check out DSR if I can.

John,

From what Leon says,and after reading his links,thes DSR feature will work only with Nvidia latest GPUs. Seems no chance it works with yours... or mine

But ain' t that good to see than GPL rendering can be even further bettered .

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 18 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#13 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,453 posts

Posted Nov 18 2014 - 03:44 PM

thanks again for your captures.

it shows already that even if DSR is not rendered , your system throw definitively Alliasing away !
Don't give up in your next attempts to show some capture where DSR effects cld be seen in your 2K monitor.

thanks to One2fee for your explanations. What I don' t understand is why a capture tool can't render exactly what the eye see on the screen.

I have no knowledge on how displaying a 3D game works, but by clicking on the stop button, while in the game, and then capturing the image, why the DSR effect wldn't show ? After all, the eye is able to see the result of the downsampling .Sry, that 's ain't clear !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 18 2014 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links