#662 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 10 2020 - 03:51 PM

If you haven't seen this threadyet have a look. Might be some new resources to be found

#663 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends ,history

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 07:35 AM

yes I have seen it, things to keep in mind, the digitizing process is on going in most places but follows their plans, which means that lot of the time holes are left in areas  because of several reasons

the amount of data and information that you can access in person is far greater, some will be available for purchase or sometimes you just have to write to a few places and eventually you will find what you are looking for, is just a slow process sometimes and not always the material is in the most obvious place

but basically every place has some sort of program to go through everything and digitize it, not every place deals with the data in the same way, make it available or it keeps it  in a not so obvious place, some will have a purchase system now , probably to offset the cost of doing all of this work which should take a while, not every place is interested in having some data available, some could be conflicting with some governmental places, programs or such, in particular when you are dealing with airports or areas that might have security/ air force and alike ties

unfortunately there is no standard of doing things and each one deals and do things differently which can lead to a lot of frustration

#664 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,632 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 11 2020 - 07:43 AM

Oscar, thank you for your ongoing research and artistry in sharing your track map work with us.
It is always the highlight of my time spent at SRMZ to see a new post in this Track Maps (Pencil Sketches) topic.
Always a treat to see new drawings.

Have a great weekend!

#665 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Jan 17 2020 - 07:28 AM

Posted Image

#666 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Jan 20 2020 - 07:15 AM

Posted Image

#667 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 04:07 AM

View Postozpata, on Jan 11 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

yes I have seen it, things to keep in mind, the digitizing process is on going in most places but follows their plans, which means that lot of the time holes are left in areas  because of several reasons

the amount of data and information that you can access in person is far greater, some will be available for purchase or sometimes you just have to write to a few places and eventually you will find what you are looking for, is just a slow process sometimes and not always the material is in the most obvious place

but basically every place has some sort of program to go through everything and digitize it, not every place deals with the data in the same way, make it available or it keeps it  in a not so obvious place, some will have a purchase system now , probably to offset the cost of doing all of this work which should take a while, not every place is interested in having some data available, some could be conflicting with some governmental places, programs or such, in particular when you are dealing with airports or areas that might have security/ air force and alike ties

unfortunately there is no standard of doing things and each one deals and do things differently which can lead to a lot of frustration

I think a lot of it is just companies buying up the data to try and profit from it, which is sad really. A lot of sites ask you to pay without even being able to view anything.
The worst places I have found so far are UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy. France seems by far the best so far.

If you have photographic data I am sure people would be appreciative if you were to share it, especially track makers. I understand you may not wish to do so publically.

Personally, it would be cool to see aerials for donington. particularly the old back straight.

It is always nice to see interesting circuits in this topic that i hadn't heard of!
Thanks!

#668 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 06:26 PM

If you can get your hands on the Donington book there is a mock up of the 1956 proposal drawn over an aerial picture of the circuit taken sometime during WW2 I guess. It's pretty small on the page but the track shows up quite well.

Attached File  doni post WW2.png   572.44K   50 downloads

Point is there is decent picture of the prewar Donington in existence and the book is pretty new so the author/editor would know where they got it from. Most likely you'd have to pay or it though.

#669 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted Jan 25 2020 - 05:32 AM

Yes i've seen that. Unfortunately it's an edited aerial though and quite small because it's part of a poster mockup.
Motorsport magazine seem to have lost their pictures from the articles when they launched their new site design and it was on there, so unfortunately i cannot link to it. Also wow that book is £85 :o

#670 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted Jan 25 2020 - 04:14 PM

That is exactly where the picture is from. I just zoomed into the aerial. I have the full poster in a decent highres image on the HD if you want it but the photo is only 1/10 of it.

#671 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Jan 26 2020 - 07:52 AM

Posted Image

#672 Mr. Photog

Mr. Photog

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted Jan 29 2020 - 03:03 PM

View Postozpata, on Jan 26 2020 - 07:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Very nice! I was really excited to see this one.

That’s great - and I had no idea the track (airport) is not in Maryland, but in West Virginia! The river curves right around, and is visible on the edges of your image. Maryland is to the north, south, and east of the track. The city of Cumberland is just to the north, across the river.

Also, I think they moved the s/f line over the years. In the 50s, the s/f line was about where the 1.5 km dot is on your map.

Great work - thank you for all of these!

MP

#673 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Jan 30 2020 - 07:59 AM

Posted Image

#674 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Feb 06 2020 - 07:19 AM

Posted Image
corrected version march 12

Edited by ozpata, Mar 12 2020 - 06:44 AM.

#675 MK3424

MK3424

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Gaming

Posted Feb 06 2020 - 05:14 PM

Neat! One of your track maps is featured in a Donut Media video about Ken Miles:

https://youtu.be/aE0gq9KxHOw?t=384

#676 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted Feb 07 2020 - 10:03 AM

Interesting for East London Marine circuit. Did the roads change between 34 and 38?

It's funny how this implies it is clockwise for some reason: https://scontent-lht...f91&oe=5EC3DF61
As opposed to this https://upload.wikim...rge_Circuit.png

#677 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Feb 09 2020 - 07:24 AM

Posted Image

corrected version march 12

Edited by ozpata, Mar 12 2020 - 06:44 AM.

#678 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted Feb 09 2020 - 10:05 AM

Oh i wasn't saying it was wrong in direction - i personally have no idea!
Perhaps this video will give more of an idea but i am not familiar with how the roads look from a street level to say: https://www.youtube....h?v=lXpcheaX0b8
https://www.youtube....h?v=MVGL-VOV1Sg (despite what it says, pretty sure it's actually 1934)

I was more querying the roads because in 38 they aren't like that, notably the north west section but also the junction hump you have on the north east not being like that yet.

http://srmz.net/inde...=40#entry144735

Edited by one2fwee, Feb 09 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#679 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 540 posts

Posted Feb 09 2020 - 11:05 AM

no problem,
I had a few maps open trying to finish and got confused, about the roads I have some doubts but a few old maps kind of sort put it kind of right in place, now seeing those aerials I will definitely go over at some point to correct everything

that is wonderful

thanks for that and sorry for the mistake

Edited by ozpata, Feb 09 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#680 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted Feb 09 2020 - 03:57 PM

You don't need to apologise - we are all trying to find the best resources possible and it is quite difficult. That is why i talked about sharing resources, in the end it only helps the community :)

I don't know if the roads changed between 34 and 38, and i haven't seen the maps either. So it's possible the 38 ones are representative either.
In then end you have to make your best guesses from referencing multiple sources :)

i wonder what those odd kind of white "scar" marks are on the aerial in the north west section. I have noticed them on varano aerials too. Maybe it's chalk veins or something weird where they've cut away to shape the land. I don't really know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links