Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Art 3D Graphics, Vintage F1, Guitar building and repair
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 07 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hi all,
I left Windows behind in 2000 as my main PC.  I did keep a Windows box up and running when I was editing rFactor.  I kept GPL on my system and ran it regularly to keep a benchmark to what I thought a mod should strive for.

That was then...  Now I don't run any sims and have been yearning to get back and drive GPL again, ESPECIALLY since the 55 mod came out.

I saw the thread on installing it on Linux but am curious how many are using Linux and more importantly is how it runs.  My machine spec's are more than enough to handle it since I do 3D graphics.

Help and suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Bob

#2 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 02:46 AM

Hi Bob,
I use Linux Mint and installed GPL last November because I was not able to make it run under Windows 7. I installed GPL via playonlinux and it works perfectly fine till now. (And I only use a five years old medium priced gaming laptop.) However, I only run the 67 F1 cars with the latest patch. I did not try any of the mods yet. And I did not try the 60fps patch.

The only thing you should consider is steering wheel support. Not every steering wheel will work under Linux. As far as I know Logitech G25, G27, G29 work perfectly. I use a thrustmaster steering wheel and I do not have force feedback unfortunatly.

Anything else you would like to know specifically?

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 07:30 AM

Gpl runs fine under wine, using the openGLV2 rasterizer with any NVidia GPU and proprietary NV driver,

I do online racing 60fps with an old i5 4670K and GTX 1060 6GB + 8GB DDR3RAM ( i3 4170 + GTX 960 2GB + 8GB RAM as reserve)

G25/27 work perfect and Fanatec GTR3 has also good FFB
Yes Thrustmaster ffb seems not supported

I just copy my W7 full installed GPL folder with all mods in .wine /C: and run the GEM2 installer.

Main problem, the same as in windows, is to get the GPU running in 3D mode. Therefore you have to push the AA settings to a high level.

I don't use playonlinux I just run .exe in wine. All installer + mods are working.

PS

just a snapshot of my office PC with windowed wine...

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Feb 08 2020 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 10:08 AM

I just joined UKGPL_4 server in iGOR with the 55 mod...

Attached Files

#5 Bob Russell

Bob Russell

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Art 3D Graphics, Vintage F1, Guitar building and repair
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 11:22 AM

I appreciate all of your speedy responses on this.   I was wondering about this for a while now,  I installed rFactor on my linux box a while ago but there were just too many little bugs to be any fun.   If it runs well I may just set up another box just for GPL.  I have a G25 and a G27 so it appears I won't have issues with feedback (one of the many issues with rF on Linux).

Now I just have to go through the prossess of refreshing my memory on installing GPL... ;)

Thanks guys,

Bob

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 11:45 AM

just get the CD, the all-in-one-installer 1.08 of Bernd Novak and the GEM+ installer and it's done in 10 minutes...

#7 prize

prize

Mike Spence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:GPL add-on tracks and mods

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 06:48 PM

To install the patched GPL demo on ubuntu linux, just download and unpack the tar.gz file here:
https://github.com/b...s-for-engineers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links