• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#31 demag

demag

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Linux. Building pc's. Old Citroens.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 21 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hello new member here.
I use Peppermint Linux 5 and GPL runs great. Not sure if the 60fps patch is working though as I only got Gem to work tonight.

#32 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 21 2014 - 06:59 PM

Interesting Demag!

have you tested ForceFeedback ? Are you using directx or openGL?

Thanks, Marcos.

Edited by mcmirande, Dec 21 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#33 demag

demag

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Dec 22 2014 - 06:13 PM

No never tried force feedback and found 60fps not running but I found some install instructions and I didn't install it right. Running top res graphics but get a headache after an hour so will work on that tomorrow. Also 65mod not running but 69, F2 and sports cars are fine.

I bought the original cd when it came out all those years ago and played against my son many times. I hadn't used it for years but upgraded my computer recently and gave it a go. I updated to the latest version of Wine and the install was very smooth. Dug out the old wheel and here we are.😁 I have some old disks with tracks and car files somewhere as well.

#34 demag

demag

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Dec 22 2014 - 06:17 PM

Oops sorry yes am running OpenGl.

#35 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 22 2014 - 06:34 PM

Then, welcome again, demag!

Thanks for the info.

#36 willevans

willevans

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:flight sim, gpl, piano

Posted Dec 22 2014 - 09:57 PM

I did manage to get gpl running very well in linux. The only problems were not having FF and also more recently when I joined a server on vroc. Incredibly it was bringing the vroc server down, we did verify this. What was strange was the week before I had no issues online. Anyway, these 2 things forced me to resurrect a windows installation. Shame though as the graphics  were superior in linux.

Regards Pete

#37 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 23 2014 - 07:05 AM

Yes! I don't know why could it be possible... but graphics (not fps) are better on linux!!

I would like to join my online racings directly from linux, but to do it safely, I found the same problems than you: no FFB, no connection to servers (neither through vroc nor by ip) and some erratic working of menus and especially replays that make me feel GPL will eventually crash...

I'm using Manjaro (an Arch derived distro) and Mate as graphic environment. I also tested Gnome (doesn't work for me) and xfce (works just as Mate)

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

Marcos.

#38 demag

demag

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Dec 23 2014 - 09:13 AM

I managed to get online with VROC and IGOR but not attempted to join a race yet. I'm fairly certain the reason Linux runs better graphics is because Windows pulls so much baggage with it. There's an amazing amount of stuff running in the background which must use extra processing power. You only have to see how much quicker Linux boots because it only opens what it needs.

Peppermint is Debian based and is fairly lightweight although it's puffed out a bit over the years. I tried Manjaro on a laptop and it looked nice but the laptop had memory problems and kept crashing.

Regards,

Dave.

#39 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 23 2014 - 09:19 AM

Can you normally reproduce replays or to see AI cars racing?

In my installation, those things are seen in frame by frame mode... really slow...

#40 demag

demag

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Dec 23 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yes can see all those fine. Got 60fps working now and won two races against AI. :up:

#41 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 12:06 PM

mmm, are you using some original dll's (i.e. not replaced by wine)?

It's strange... At least you had success... and it's a great new!

Now I'm thinking if there are some distro-related issue. Actually I'm using Manjaro because in Ubuntu and all Debian-based distros I used before, a windows program I use for work (Winclada) works much worst than in Arch and Manjaro. Maybe in different distros, wine uses computer resources in different ways...

Edited by mcmirande, Dec 24 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#42 willevans

willevans

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:flight sim, gpl, piano

Posted Dec 24 2014 - 09:59 PM

No issues here either with replays or AI.

I just stayed with what comes in the box with wine. Like I said, the only issue was FF really. When it crashed the server I later tried to connect with windows and it failed to connect there too with a bandwidth mismatch so I had to apply the bw patch first but I have not tried with linux since applying the BW patch. Maybe it might work now.

The strange thing when trying to join a race in linux was that I joined with F1 Honda and online, seconds before it crashed the server it joined with a Brab Trainer.

Another interesting thing was that the week before I moved the installation to another folder I could join races in vroc without issues. So maybe moving the installation messed it up. Vroc uses the windows register as an ini file so maybe the error is in there somewhere.

Regards

#43 bart

bart

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted Jan 02 2015 - 08:59 AM

About the FFB issue... I recall reading an online article once - several months ago - that FFB implementation in Linux kernel is limited to "Constant Force" only.
In Windows, effects like "Rumble" or "Damper' etc.. are mostly emulated using the Constant force effect (for short intermitted periods... I don't really know how it's programmed). Anyway, in Linux, a constant force is just that - Constant Force. And I don't think it's used for GPL.
*But* there is a project underway for full FFB implementation in Linux...if only I could find that link again :hithead:

Right now I'm having problems with my install. I swtiched from fglrx dirver to the open source radeon video driver, and now all the text from menu's and setup windows is gone... (using OGLv2 rasterizer)

#44 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jan 02 2015 - 12:34 PM

View Postwillevans, on Dec 22 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

I did manage to get gpl running very well in linux. resurrect a windows installation ........ the graphics  were superior in linux.

Regards Pete

View Postmcmirande, on Dec 23 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Yes! I don't know why could it be possible... but graphics (not fps) are better on linux!!

Don't know a thing about Linux.But interesting topic

You are many here to say that the image quality is better , with the same fps .How you can relate it with words or screen captures for Non Linux users to compare ?

As I am still nostalgic of the GPL image I got when playing with a GFX Voodoo and 3DFX twelve years ago, to me, the deepness of 3D objects, essentially the cars at that time was better and edges a litle bit more defined. Going through a 3D world was more natural, too.
Perhaps good to say I had already the same CRT Iiyama 19 " monitor and driver, than now.

And it was the same experience than you, independently of the fps that was already at 36 fps and with graphics options at max.

thank you and happy new year

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jan 02 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#45 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 02 2015 - 01:03 PM

In my case, I note more brilliant colors on Linux, and maybe sharper objects... but I don't know if it is just "a sensation" or something real. I should do screen captures to compare.

I have very good fps with my Arch installation using OGL now, but replays and menus work pretty bad. In DirectX all menus and replays work very good, but conversely, in-cockpit fps are very low (about 20 as much).

I'm starting to think it's some distro-related thing concerning resources applied to Wine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links