Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:climbing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 30 2017 - 09:43 AM

A friend has offered me his Ecci 6000gts wheel & pedals (not for free unfortunately :rolleyes: ) & as I have wanted to go 3 pedals & shifter for a while now I am considering his offer despite the cost.

So, what would you all recommend for a good quality H-shifter & does anyone have any reasons why I should not go with the ecci?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

#2 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 30 2017 - 11:23 AM

This if you have money to spend

http://www.pro-sim.c...tab-description

This if you wanna be more conservative

http://www.thrustmas...products/th8-rs

Both great products from what I hear

#3 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted Nov 30 2017 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Leon, I had found both of those. I don't have the budget for the pro-sim one sadly. I remember reading here not too long ago about a metal cased shifter that looked good, maybe a little more expensive than the thrustmaster, but I can't find the thread. Does that ring any bells?

I don't think it was this one https://www.indiegog...pc-sim-racing#/

Edited by Roo, Nov 30 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,362 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted Nov 30 2017 - 02:33 PM

@Remco Hitman might tell you more about the incoming Heusinkveld H-shifter ;)

Edited by leon_90, Nov 30 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#5 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted Nov 30 2017 - 06:33 PM

When I went to get a Bodnar wheel for work I told them it would be interesting if someone made a FFB shifter using mini motors that stopped you from putting the car in gear, etc and could move the shifter about / provide resistance. Obviously the games would have to support this type of "joystick" shifter but if done correctly would add a lot. Mind you most games don't even model the gearbox properly...!

Anyway, they told me that Niels had already talked to them about that and had tried it with tiny motors but that it didn't work very well so he gave up on the idea.

So I am thinking that the Heusinkveld shifter won't be this unfortunately. It would be really cool if someone made a FFB shifter some day - but of course it would need proper software support. I'm sure it will be good though - but well out of my price range.

Anyway, in terms of the ones mentioned, i've tried the Thrustmaster one which felt quite cheap and not that realistic. The only other higher end one I've used is the fanatec one which was really rather decent if you can stretch to it:
https://www.fanatec....fter-sq-eu.html
If you don't have a fanatec wheel you will also need this:
https://www.fanatec....adapter-eu.html

The switching between sequential and H pattern mode was nice too.

That indiegogo you linked to looks interesting. Certainly a lot cheaper and something to consider.
To be honest i think the main wheel manufacturers are rather a rip off now. Especially how fanatec have raised their prices and how they treat europeans.
If i was in the market for high end stuff i'd probably just end up trying to build my own OSW and then trying to get pedals, shifter, handbrake from a real car and use them to make my own.
But alas i don't have enough space and can't justify the cost.... G27 it is :(

Anyway I hope that helps at least a tiny bit

#6 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted Dec 01 2017 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the thoughts.
Having read the comments on the indiegogo page, it seems nothing is forthcoming if you make a 'donation' so that is out of contention.
Not really ready for the fanatec price tag either so I am thinking of getting a th8a initially & see how I get on with it.
I like that it has open, visible gates rather than the 'hidden' gates on the fanatec.

cheers :)

#7 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Dec 01 2017 - 02:18 PM

TH8A here. I'm very pleased with it. It seems almost too big when watched on photos and vids, but when I actually got it, it turned out to be just the right size, even when mounted on the same level as the wheel (I use T500RS, though, which has much higher axis position compared to my older G25). The throw is not too long either, just right for the historic cars. Also, you don't have to sell your kidney to get one. I think you'll like it too.

Edited by Art-J, Dec 01 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 11:50 AM

I use this.

https://www.fanatec....fter-sq-us.html

https://www.youtube....4&v=SZWgt3xHnTo

https://www.youtube....h?v=fGCwxmxiKdA

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Dec 03 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#9 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hiya Roo, what wheel do you have now? And what is he asking for the Ecci set?

The TH8RS is pretty good, don't hesitate to get one. Niels uses it with a shorter stick and it's not terrible. Should be great for GPL!
The Fanatec is huge in size and quite floppy IMO. The Thrustmaster shifter is much better. I'm sure you'll like it!

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,350 posts

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Dec 04 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Hiya Roo, what wheel do you have now? And what is he asking for the Ecci set?

The TH8RS is pretty good, don't hesitate to get one. Niels uses it with a shorter stick and it's not terrible. Should be great for GPL!
The Fanatec is huge in size and quite floppy IMO. The Thrustmaster shifter is much better. I'm sure you'll like it!

Ever see the shifter in a Lotus 49? Kind of floppy. :)

#11 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted Dec 04 2017 - 05:44 PM

Er the TH8RS was really floppy from what I remember. However i can imagine that what Remco says about using it with a shorter throw would help a lot. You'd probably have to make it yourself though.

On the Fanatec one you could adjust the feeling with a allenkey screw and it felt rather realistic.

I'm pretty sure the TH8RS isn't adjustable but I can't remember. Also if you want it to be sequential you have to take it apart and replace the faceplate for one with the spring in.

For the Fanatec, you just twist the whole thing.
The version I used actually had a problem though where it would do something weird if you tried to change between certain gears or fall out of gear. I think it was just an issue with the early units - we were meant to send it back for a replacement but i left before that was possible.

But yer the Fanatec one was a lot better but both are quite expensive.
I'd just try and find a cheap shifter from a scrapped car and make one by embedding buttons in a normal shifter. Or you could use a 2 axis sensor approach (i think that's what the fanatec does since it asks you to calibrate - can't remember about the thrustmaster).

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,350 posts

Posted Dec 05 2017 - 08:48 AM

I didn't want to get in an argument with Remco. There's nothing floppy about the Fanatec. It's built like a tank. You change from h-pattern to sequential with a lever. Takes 1 second.

#13 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted Dec 05 2017 - 05:25 PM

I have a black momo logitech at the moment, Remco. i have just received the th8a today. I like the look/feel but so far I am struggling to get it to work.
I have patched gpl.exe with gplshift, changed paddle assignment in the logi profiler to look left/right - i can assign the axis (steering, brake, throttle) in gpl ok but can't calibrate the throttle or brake nor get the the gears to change when I go in car (throttle works though).

Any first time shifter setup tips would be appreciated

I got it to work :)
in gplshift.ini I needed 1.USB & then all was good. Just had a fun time against the AI at kyalami, from the back to 9th before I spun by going into 2nd too soon & I damaged my suspension  ... lesson 1 :D

can't wait for a clutch pedal too!

Edited by Roo, Dec 05 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#14 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Dec 06 2017 - 05:25 AM

View PostRoo, on Dec 05 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

I have a black momo logitech at the moment, Remco. i have just received the th8a today. I like the look/feel but so far I am struggling to get it to work.

The black Momo? Hmm, that's a tough one. With a slightly better wheel I'd have told you to keep the wheel and buy better standalone pedals. Don't know how much your buddy's asking for the ECCI set but even a combination of a G25 and some standalone pedals would easily give you a better experience.

The TH8RS is a nice start though!

#15 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted Dec 06 2017 - 07:20 AM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Dec 06 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

View PostRoo, on Dec 05 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

The black Momo? Hmm, that's a tough one. With a slightly better wheel I'd have told you to keep the wheel and buy better standalone pedals. Don't know how much your buddy's asking for the ECCI set but even a combination of a G25 and some standalone pedals would easily give you a better experience.

The TH8RS is a nice start though!

I am paying a little more for the ecci set than buying T300 rs gt wheel & pedals.
I will get the pedals working first, then assess the both wheels. I like my momo :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links