Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 31 2011 - 03:12 PM

Finally I got my rFactor version working, and I'm really excited the game looks (and feels!) great.
But offcourse I'm very curious what kind of nice mods are availeble, anyone a suggestion?

Also, I'm a keyboard player. For GPL that works fine, but for rFactor... not really.
I've already tried a steering wheel, but it takes to much spaces and is very unhandy.

So I'm looking for a good controller. I like the ps3 controller, but it's not compatible with the pc.
The thing that comes closest to it, is the xbox 360 controller for the pc. Anyone some expierence with that one?

#2 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Mar 31 2011 - 04:02 PM

I was in the very same situation that you were in.

Only I'm running it on a Mac - which is my daily work machine and it's handy to just run some quick races in between 'regular job' stints. A blessing to not have to fire up a separate pc for that.

Keyboard is no good really for both GPL and rFactor, but a regular usb gamepad (or rather its analog thumbsticks) will do for lower-powered mods. Really handy to be able to just put that aside and then get back to work.

(My wheel is still connected to the old PC for GPL, since GPL doesn't really suit a gamepad as well as a keyboard.)

I don't think an XBox controller will do - afaik that doesn't have dual thumbsticks and you really need two of them (one for throttle/brake, one for the steering).

The second part relates to your first question: Mods. RFactor is a basic kit for running mods basically, but because there are so many of them, contrary to GPL their quality varies much much more. GPL's are nearly all good, on rF, the ratio is much worse.

You basically have to 'cherry pick' the best of them and ignore the rest. Myself, because I use a gamepad, really high-power mods are right out because gamepad control is not precise enough for those; so lower-powered mods (up to say 200 BHP) are the things that work best.

For myself, the good mods I found in that category would be Vintage Formula Ford, Vintage Formula Vee ('GPL Lite' - my personal favorite  :yeah:  ), Caterham Classics, Hungarian Suzuki Swift Cup, Spec Miata MX-5 1.6, HistoriX (Historic GT: Mini coopers, Porsche 914, Cortinas etc). The SupraIV Mod is technically really good too, although not my cup of tea it's definitely worth a try.

In terms of tracks, unmissable would be the VLM tracks like Mid-Ohio (masterpiece!), Oran Park Lidar (laser-scanned beauty!), Goldenport (and Raceking tracks in general) plus of course the two tracks I'm working on myself and hopefully soon-to-be-released  ;)  

Most of this stuff can be found at NoGrip and RFactorcentral. There's also a program called BTB that will enable you to make tracks for rF and GTR2.

Remember, in rF it helps to be critical  ;) It's the sim with the greatest number of tracks and mods by far (widest variety of car types too), but there's a lot of halfbaked conversions and not-so-good mods out there, the ones I mentioned are definitely better than most.

Hope it helps,

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Mar 31 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted Mar 31 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, that helps me a lot! :)

The gamepad from the xbox 360 also has two triggers, thoses would be ideal for throttle and brake. The only thing i'm afraid of is that the joystisck for the steering won't be precise enough. The joysticks from playstation controllers are the only good ones I'va ever had for a racing game.

Discovering all the tracks and mods will take a while I see ^^  

I've just installed my first one (F5000 1973) and apart from the sound it's really good.
But to use some cars from the mod I need experience points, do you know how to get these?
I don't want to annoy other people online with my terrible driving skills. :P

Sorry for my bad english by the way.

Edited by Millennium, Mar 31 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#4 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 31 2011 - 04:32 PM

I can't really add anything apart from just listen to Rudy, because I don't use rFactor much at the moment I usually don't try anything new for it now unless Rudy mentions it here because he seems sort out the good from the bad pretty well, I'm happy enough running those Formula Vee's and Formula Fords around Mid Ohio (a must). I do enjoy the Formula One 1975 and 1979 mods but I use a wheel, probably not as much fun with a gamepad though.

What bad English are you talking about :shrug:  Your English is fine  :wave:

Edited by Burnsy865, Mar 31 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#5 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Apr 01 2011 - 08:37 PM

View PostMillennium, on Mar 31 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Discovering all the tracks and mods will take a while I see ^^  

I've just installed my first one (F5000 1973) and apart from the sound it's really good.
But to use some cars from the mod I need experience points, do you know how to get these?

With 'Experience Points' I assume you mean the credit points listed on top of the screen? rFactor doesn't quite work like that, it doesn't have a "career" based on "accumulated points/credits" system. The credits are mostly for show. Some mods use them though to force you to work your way up from the lower-powered to the bigger cars. But just google for 'Isi_Babyfactory' and you'll soon know the way around that.

Apart from F5000, Dave 'ST' Sabre (former GPLer like most of us) has also made the really nice Vintage T340 Formula Ford Mod - definitly worth a try on the smaller circuits - and a rather decent set of mid-1970's F2 mods as well. I just tried the F2 1976 mod and apart from it being a bit too powerful for a gamepad, was more fun and more driveable than I think it would. Many people like the tyre model in those mods better than in his older F5000 mods.

(I remember driving his F.Ford mod for the first time when it was still an MNRL league beta, it was horribly difficult to keep it on the road. But by the time it was released in V1.0 it was already much much better, and with some help from real world data and former 'real life' FFord drivers, by V2.1 it was much more refined to resemble the real cars and really became a pretty darn good mod to have.  :)

That's one of the reasons I tend to think the 'smaller car' mods are a bit more realistic: with those you have a chance of actual feedback by real life drivers, with F1 mods much less so... :2c: The Spec Miata mod, for instance, was even developed by a chap who has one such race car himself.)

And yeah, the variety of mods and tracks is so vast that it'll take more than a year to check them all out. After which you'll probably discover, like most of us, you'll keep only a few really good ones and discard the rest  ;)  
Also, don't forget to disable the driving aids (personally I only use auto-shift normally, since manual shiftin' is a bit hard with a gamepad beside steering and brake) since there does seem to be some sort of penalty involved like in GPL. And in case of FPS problems disable the mirrors (by pressing '2' I think) and map the 'look behind' view to a button.

View PostBurnsy865, on Mar 31 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

What bad English are you talking about :shrug:  Your English is fine  

Yeah, niks slechter als 't mijne (no worse than mine..!)  ;)

Regards, Rudy

Edited by Rudy Dingemans, Apr 01 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#6 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted Apr 03 2011 - 04:08 AM

Ah, I think I understand it now. It´s just points you get for driving in races, championship, training etc.?

Actually yesterday I spent a lot of time on downloading mods and tracks, and so far I've found some real nice mods.
I don't know how to remove them, since the files of a mod are spread out over some different maps. But it's not a problem, I always make a back-up when I'm about to instal a new mod.
Also reading the comments by the download can sometimes prevent me from wasting time on mods that are only halfway done.

Yesterday I tried to play with an old controller I still had, but it didn't quite work out for me, the steering was far to responsive.
So I'm still stuck to my keyboard, but some of the mods are playeble. Just downloaded a Bus mod, which is a lot of fun but also not to hard on a keyboard. (Altough braking automaticly causes my wheels to lock up.)

View PostRudy Dingemans, on Apr 01 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Yeah, niks slechter als 't mijne (no worse than mine..!)  ;)

Ik had niet eens in de gaten dat je Nederlands was. :)
*I didn't even notice you were also dutch.*

Edited by Millennium, Apr 03 2011 - 04:09 AM.

#7 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted Apr 03 2011 - 06:50 PM

Removing a mod is just a matter of taking the same files out mate (rfm, vehicle, sound files - rfm mainly). Easy  ;)
My gamepad is far too sensitive as well (hardwired into many contollers, it seems - thought the fault was in the software but it was not), but I got used to it after a week or so. Still much better than a keyboard, at least if one avoids high-horsepower mods.

Regards, Rudy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links