13 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Simms

Fred Simms

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Jun 15 2008 - 04:16 AM

Introducing AI Control Panel, a simple utility that you can use to quickly and easily modify your AI .ini files. Use it to change the settings of any of the parameters, to change the driver order, or to instantly create backups. You can start GPL directly from the utility, if required.

Also included is a Browser that will enable you to view the contents of your .ini files. The parameters are displayed in alphabetical order, making it easy to locate any specific item.

In the Help section, many of the more important and well-known parameters are explained, along with some suggested settings and a recommended reading list.

The utility is written in Excel VBA so if you wish to use it you will need to have Excel 2000 or later installed on your computer (but you don't need to have any knowledge of Excel).

I recommend that you create a shortcut. Right-click on the utility in Windows Explorer and, while holding down the mouse button, drag it onto your desktop; then select "Create Shortcut" from the dialog box that pops up when you release the button. You will then be able to both launch Excel and load the file with just a double-click.

You can obtain more information from here.

Attached Files

#2 Fred Simms

Fred Simms

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Jul 26 2008 - 02:48 AM

I wrote my Excel based AI Control Panel and Car Switchboard utilities in the days when monitors were CRT and aspect ratios were 4:3. I based the UIs on this aspect ratio (written so that columns would just fit to screen), not realising or considering the possibility that things might change in the future.

Nowadays, of course, we have LCD widescreen monitors. I recently bought a new computer and widescreen monitor. When I loaded my utilities, the columns fitted exactly (as per the programming), but, of course, less rows were now visible with my new 8:5 aspect ratio.

This is no big deal in the case of the Car Switchboard; it just means that the user may sometimes have to scroll down a little to access a car. However, the utility was written in order to make life easy, so the neccessity to scroll should be avoided, if possible. For this reason, I have modified the program slightly, and now offer a widescreen version. This should also easily accommodate any 16:9 monitors.

The AI Control Panel has a more serious problem - I have not provided scrollbars, so there are areas on this utility that are now inaccessible. I have also modified this program to accommodate the wider aspect ratio. Considering the number of people who have downloaded this program, it's surprising that no-one has yet complained.

Attached Files

#3 gpljoko

gpljoko

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 18 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hello, the link for the widescreen download does not work at the moment.
Could you please check it?
Thanks, Jo

#4 Fred Simms

Fred Simms

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Jul 19 2010 - 10:59 AM

View Postgpljoko, on Jul 18 2010 - 09:11 AM, said:

Hello, the link for the widescreen download does not work at the moment.
Could you please check it?
Thanks, Jo

New attachment as requested.

Regards,
Fred

Attached Files

#5 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 03:10 AM

Hi Fred,

as I don`t race against the AI I didn`t know of this handy looking tool.

I just wanted to thank you. Posted Image

Cheers
Stefan

#6 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 06:20 AM

Same here. I was unaware of it. Thanks Fred. :hat-tip:

#7 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 09:57 AM

maybe I'm missing something here, but I downloaded it, but found it impossible to use as it does'nt start GPL through GEM, meaning all my settings in GEM for rasterisers, field of view etc just go out the window..I'm probably being thick, but thats the way it seems.. :confused:

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 12:07 PM

I haven't used this yet, but after reading the AI Control Panel.txt shouldn't you be able to do the adjustments and then save everything (hit "modify")?  Then when you start GPL trough GEM, the AI settings should still be there.

From that txt file: "Select the required year (or Mod) from the choices in the drop down box e.g. select 1965, 1967 or ThunderCars."  Are those the only mods that can be adjusted?  Will there be an update to include the other mods?

Edited by Bob Simpson, Dec 13 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#9 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 03:50 PM

Unless you want to lose all of your add on track laptimes you should always start GPL through Gem.  :wave:

#10 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted Dec 13 2010 - 06:59 PM

thanks guys, I'll keep trying, and yes, I always run through GEM  :wave:

#11 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Dec 14 2010 - 05:52 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Dec 13 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

Unless you want to lose all of your add on track laptimes you should always start GPL through Gem.  :wave:

I never use GEM to start GPL, just to create the exe's. I always save a replay of pb laps ;)
But recently GEM saves all exe's (don't know where this comes from  :hmm: )which means i have to use GEM to switch mods.
But even then i close it and run gpl from it's shortcut (i hate programs running in the background so i kill as much as i can)
Guess i have to start making time to solve all these outstanding issues  :rolleyes:

#12 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Dec 14 2010 - 07:15 AM

Martin, you mean that when you exit GEM it says that it needs to save the EXE files for the mod? I could never understand why this sometimes happened.
I guess, renaming GEM.ini and adding the mods to the fresh GEM will cure it.
A guess ... ;)

#13 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Dec 14 2010 - 12:10 PM

View PostBernd Nowak, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:15 AM, said:

Martin, you mean that when you exit GEM it says that it needs to save the EXE files for the mod? I could never understand why this sometimes happened.

Well i can understand that it needs to resave the exe for the mod i choose to play with but not the entire listing :rolleyes:
It might be that it started to do this after i had been fumbling around with link player to carset but i'm not sure..

View PostBernd Nowak, on Dec 14 2010 - 07:15 AM, said:

I guess, renaming GEM.ini and adding the mods to the fresh GEM will cure it.
A guess ... ;)

Mmmh, yeah i had in mind cleaning up the mess i made but there's most of the time a good editing excuse to postpone that  :lol:

#14 ledzep73

ledzep73

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Classic F1 Grand Prix. Grand Prix Legends.

Posted Dec 19 2016 - 11:53 AM

Brilliant! Thank a million!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links