• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 10 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi all. Here is an updated version of my GPL lap time listing utility, which can now include your laps from the 1967 Historical mod, Version 2.

What does the utility do?

It reads in all of your GPL lap times, from all the tracks and all the mods you have installed, and sorts them to produce a number of text file listings. These lists can show (for example) your fastest and slowest laps of all time, your oldest and newest lap records, the circuits where your average speed is fastest and slowest, and many other things. It's a stats freak's dream! :D If you have all the GPL mods installed, there can be around 30 of these listing files, but they are quite small and only take a few seconds to generate, so you can simply ignore the ones that you don't want.

So how do I install and run this?

Simply download the ZIP file and unzip it to an empty directory anywhere on your computer. (In the following examples, I will use "D:\Laplists\" as an example name.) This directory will then become the working directory, and it will be the place where the text listing files will be generated.

You will then need to edit the "GPLStats.ini" file to tell the utility where to find its information. The INI file contains helpful comments so you can find the files that it needs, and the options are also explained in the ReadMe file.

Once you've done this, simply double-click on the EXE file to run it. You should see a black command-line window open up, some status messages will whizz by, then the window will close and you will find the text listings in the D:\LapLists\ directory.

The listing file names show the order in which the lap times are displayed. Files including the word "test" only list lap times set in testing mode, for hotlappers and crazy TotalRankers like me. Other listings look at all your lap records (testing, practice and race), and select the best time as your "lap record" at that track. Most of the listing files will list lap times from all mods, but if a file name ends with a mod abbreviation (for example "67F2"), then that list will only contain lap times from that one mod.

Please note: This utility is completely non-invasive. It doesn't need an installer, it doesn't make any changes to your Windows registry, and it doesn't change your GPL installation in any way. All it does is read your GPL files. If you want to uninstall it at any time, simply delete the directory where you unzipped it, and your computer will be back exactly as it was before.

There is more detail in the ReadMe file, including suggestions to try if the program doesn't seem to work properly for you.

Not many of us are stats freaks like me, but for those of you who might find this useful, I hope you enjoy it! :)

If you get any problems, or wish to make any comments or suggestions about the utility, please post in this thread. I will try to check it and help out as often as I can.

Attached Files

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Mar 10 2016 - 09:05 AM

Interesting, cheers Keith! :)

Edited the ini and it works flawless ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Mar 10 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Mar 10 2016 - 09:45 AM

Oddly, I have the folder showing in my windows explorer - C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\ which I typed in as the location of the SGEM.ini, which didn't work.

However when I simply copied the link in the address line it shows as C:\Users\Public\Documents which works.  I guess this is well know by everyone but me, but I wonder why windows explorer shows that extra "Public" in the folder structure.

Great utility.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Mar 10 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 10 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks both for your positive comments.

Bob: Yes, depending on which folders I look at with my Windows 10 Explorer, I can see the "Public Documents" folder too. But it doesn't really exist! I think this might be due to Microsoft trying to give "friendly names" to their Windows directory structure. But as we've found, it simply causes confusion when you want to document the actual folder where your files are located. I have the same trouble understanding the "Libraries" folder too. It just seems like a glorified method of saving favourite file locations, but on my machine it simply means that I have "Documents" and "Pictures" folders showing up in several different places, which confuses the heck out of me! Ah Microsoft, don'tcha just love them?  :rolleyes:

#5 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Mar 16 2016 - 09:19 AM

I have edited the ini as required & run the exe but I get no output files. the command prompt box pops up very briefly.
v28 works fine. command prompt box is visible for much longer & I can see the command lines scrolling, then the files are output.
running xp sp3.

any ideas?

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted Mar 16 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostRoo, on Mar 16 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I have edited the ini as required & run the exe but I get no output files. the command prompt box pops up very briefly.
v28 works fine. command prompt box is visible for much longer & I can see the command lines scrolling, then the files are output.
running xp sp3.

any ideas?

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

Did you read the ReadMe file? There have been some changes to the way files and paths are specified in the INI file for the latest version. If you have simply edited your old INI file, it might not work correctly with the new version due to some new features being added. Also, the ReadMe file suggests that if you're having problems, you run gplstats50.exe using the batch file provided. This keeps the message window open so that you can read any error messages which helps to work out what might be going wrong.

What error messages do you see? What is the last message shown before the program exits?

Edited by Saiph, Mar 16 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#7 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted Mar 17 2016 - 02:12 AM

I edited the new ini file but copied my path names from the old one.

the bat file gives the following message:
invalid tag name in ini file: [GT]
processing of ini file failed

assuming the referred ini is the gplstats.ini, the path name is the same as in (copied from) the previous version so I can't see why it is invalid.

Attached Files

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted Mar 17 2016 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for providing all the extra info Roo, it makes it much easier to see what has happened. :up:

You are correct when you assume the error is in the gplstats.ini file. The tag [GT] for the sports/GT mod is no longer valid. I changed it some time ago just in case the GPL mod community released a GT mod or car set for a different year, so that the 1967 GT mod could be distinguished from any new version. The proper tag should be [67GT]. It looks like you may have accidentally copied over the tag from your old gplstats.ini file and overwritten the new version. The tag names for all the mods are shown in the comments just above where you enter the file paths.

If you change the [GT] tag to [67GT] everything should (fingers crossed!) work correctly.

The problem you've had shows me an improvement I can make to the program. When messages are shown saying that there's a problem in the INI file, it doesn't make it clear that it means the gplstats.ini file. It could also refer to the player.ini file. I will change the message(s) so that they say exactly which file has the problem. That should help to make things clearer.

I might also make the program pause automatically when it finds an error, which would remove the need for the batch file.

I hope this fixes things for you Roo.

Edited by Saiph, Mar 17 2016 - 09:21 AM.

#9 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted Mar 18 2016 - 08:57 AM

thanks Keith, i should have thought to compare the 'original' ini file with my edited one :duh:

#10 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted Apr 10 2016 - 01:28 PM

The GPLStats lap time lister has now been updated to cater for the new 1966 Can-Am mod.

Please refer to the new thread here: http://srmz.net/inde...41 to download the latest version, and to report any issues with the program.

This thread should not be needed any more. It may be locked and/or deleted by the admins if it helps to keep things tidy.

THANK YOU!  :up:

Edited by Saiph, Apr 10 2016 - 01:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, laptime, listing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links