Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Sep 25 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

A couple of questions:

Do these 7 new engine sounds come out of our limit of 16 total sounds in GPL set by the slider in the "Options" Page?

Also, a common complaint about GPL is that the other engine sounds when racing in a pack of cars are too loud and drown out your own engine and tyres, presumably we could now cut the volume levels of the old sound samples that the other cars use? That might allow us to run the maximum number of sounds in the "Options" menu which would add to the immersion of the game, the only downside would be quiet replays which I'm sure most people could live with.

The 7 new engine sounds do not count against the setup menu 16 sound limit.  They are played in addition.

Internally, the patch continually plays all of the 7 additional sounds, but each sound is played at different volume levels depending on the sound set designer's plan.   I adjusted their overall sound level though so that they are compatible with the AI volume.

#17 Frank_Mueller

Frank_Mueller

---

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Racing Sims

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 07:09 AM

Great!! Wow!! Thanks a lot, Lee.
For me, sound is more important than graphics and now a dream becomes true!! :bowdown2:
GPLSO was never running good enough for using permanently.

#18 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostLee200, on Sep 25 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

The 7 new engine sounds do not count against the setup menu 16 sound limit.  They are played in addition.

Internally, the patch continually plays all of the 7 additional sounds, but each sound is played at different volume levels depending on the sound set designer's plan.   I adjusted their overall sound level though so that they are compatible with the AI volume.

Great stuff! :woohoo2:

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,491 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 08:29 AM

How about some feedback on how it sounds?

#20 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,468 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 08:38 AM

Lee,

The sorcerer get out of his home , again, I see!

Millions thanks and a passport to heaven is granted for you

Tested all five cars , and everything works ( Win 7 32 bits) PERFECT.  No bugs after crashes and manys shift + R.

the only small pb is when I explode the engine .Rpm needle goes down but the engine sound file selected by the program when it comes is still playing .I need to apply brake, and then the sound stops immediatly

I didn' t know much about Jeroen or others sound gurus, so that 's too a way to discover different sounds.
Seems on the low frequencies( in the 2000/4000 Rpm range) , there are a little less bass frequencies tones than with manys Ducwolf sounds .But that 's a rough and first tests impression maybe.

And the Honda backfiring when off throttle, ice on the cake !

Edited by M Needforspeed, Sep 25 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#21 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 09:25 AM

Cheers Lee, will check it out! :)

#22 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 10:04 AM

Once again Lee thank you so much!!

TP: :hat-tip:

#23 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 11:09 AM

Just a thought, is it possible to add a "Play and vary with car speed" option to the Sound Loader Editor tool at some point in the future? Might be handy for a transmission whine sound, probably most noticeable in a closed cockpit GT mod car.

#24 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Sep 25 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Just a thought, is it possible to add a "Play and vary with car speed" option to the Sound Loader Editor tool at some point in the future? Might be handy for a transmission whine sound, probably most noticeable in a closed cockpit GT mod car.

No.

To be honest guys, I've spent almost a year working on this.  The last five months were spent waiting on new sound sets which never materialized.  I'm burned out with this project and probably won't enhance it farther.

#25 Nicolas

Nicolas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends, Rally racing

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 01:40 PM

Amazing piece of code modding! I hope the best sound designers will step up to make perfect sound sets for this one. It is very important to have the exactly correct sample RPM for each sample, so it won't sound like 2 engines running in the crossover areas. But when you get that right, this tool gives you the possibility to make fantastic sound sets. Knowing this mod community, I'm sure some people will step up and give us the goodies. :) Thanks for your contribution!

#26 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostLee200, on Sep 25 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

No.

To be honest guys, I've spent almost a year working on this.  The last five months were spent waiting on new sound sets which never materialized.  I'm burned out with this project and probably won't enhance it farther.

Fair enough, thanks again for all the time and effort you've put into this. It's much appreciated.

#27 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Sep 25 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Sep 25 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

View PostLee200, on Sep 25 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

No.

Fair enough, thanks again for all the time and effort you've put into this. It's much appreciated.

No problem Rich and it never hurts to ask.  :)

I probably won't enhance the patch itself, but IF others start making sound sets for the other mods, I will need to modify the GPL Engine Sound.exe Editor Tool so that it fully supports all the mods.  That's a simple fix and simply involves coming up with an acceptable directory name convention.

#28 Nicolas

Nicolas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted Sep 26 2014 - 12:17 PM

I looked at the editor and the manual, but one thing is unclear to me: what does the program assume to be the base RPM of each individual sound? This is very important to get right in order to have for example cross faded sounds not sounding as 2 engines running at once. You set an RPM range in which a sound is heard and pitched, but within this RPM range the sound will be pitched up or down relative to a certain base RPM. I just can't find which base RPM it assumes. Optimally, each sound would be able to have its own unique base RPM, because that's the only way to truly get rid of overstretched sound problems.

#29 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted Sep 26 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostNicolas, on Sep 26 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

I looked at the editor and the manual, but one thing is unclear to me: what does the program assume to be the base RPM of each individual sound? This is very important to get right in order to have for example cross faded sounds not sounding as 2 engines running at once. You set an RPM range in which a sound is heard and pitched, but within this RPM range the sound will be pitched up or down relative to a certain base RPM. I just can't find which base RPM it assumes. Optimally, each sound would be able to have its own unique base RPM, because that's the only way to truly get rid of overstretched sound problems.

Nicholas, the program uses 5400 as the base RPM for all seven engine sounds.

#30 Nicolas

Nicolas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted Sep 26 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info. So, the workaround for this would be (just an example): you have a low RPM sound recorded at 1000 RPM, med RPM sound at 4000 RPM, and high RPM sound recorded at 9000 RPM. In a sound editor, you have to pitch them all to 5400 RPM, after which GPL will pitch them back to their realistic range. This extra step will not help in keeping artifacts out, but I guess we can't get around that. In any case it is of paramount importance to have the base sounds perfectly "in tune" (at the same frequency/RPM and in phase) at what you define as 5400RPM, so the transition between sounds will be seamless. The transition should only change the timbre without any noticable detuning or phasing. The currently provided soundsets still have some work in that respect here and there. I'd give it a go (I'm a hobbyist synth musician) if I weren't spending all my GPL time on Chimay '72. In any case this mod is a very powerful tool, creating the potential to seriously upgrade the engine sound quality. I'm looking forward to a soundset with some really dirty backfire sounds. :)

Edited by Nicolas, Sep 26 2014 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links