paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

My PC and GPU can run GPL at steady 36fps ( 60hz ) but what happens at 144hz ?
Will my GTX1050ti be able to produce a steady stream at over twice the refresh rate ?

I am planning on staying with  1920 x1080 res

Paul

#17 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 AM

View Postpaul skingley, on Jun 17 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

..... My PC and GPU can run GPL at steady 36fps ( 60hz ) but what happens at 144hz ?
Will my GTX1050ti be able to produce a steady stream at over twice the refresh rate ?

I am planning on staying with  1920 x1080 res

What will probably happen is that GPL will not know anything about the 144hz monitor, so it will keep pumping out 36fps. Your graphics card will be refreshing the video at 144hz, but it will only be updating the picture itself every 4th frame, as GPL supplies it with a new frame. As 144 is a multiple of 36, the two frame rates should sync nicely with each other, and everything should run smoothly. It's possible that GPL could sometimes generate "micro-pauses" or "stutters", depending on what track you're running, so this may occasionally throw the timing out. If you do notice any glitches, try turning on Vsync - that should force GPL and the monitor to stay in sync, even at a 4:1 frame ratio.

#18 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Thanks again.

So if I get 144hz steady refresh rate do I really need a Gsync monitor or would any 144hz monitor do the same without spending the extra cash ?

These questions really only apply to GPL which is 95% of my sim time.

Paul

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links