#1 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 03:15 AM

Whenever I rev the car high I get a CTD, usually while exiting pits, it seems to hang on one sound and it constantly loops as Windows returns to normal, usually for about 20 - 30 seconds with a black screen. I am assuming it is a corrupt sound file but am unsure what to fix because I have a few sound folders, I assume it is the normal sound folder which has an spcc subfolder, there are also a lot of files in the sound folder. The other sound folders refer to mods, eg. sound ptav1, sound tptcc etc.  It has crashed under GTP and the normal NASCAR 2003 installation. I will try a few things but I am at a loss as to what has caused it.

#2 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 08:32 AM

Hi Burnsy865 :)

I would try this:

1. make a backup copy of the NR2003 \sound folder (zip it)
2. delete ALL files that are located into the \sound folder EXCEPT the sound.dat.
3. delete ALL files that are located into the \sound\spcc folder EXCEPT the spcc.dat
4. Check this: Inside the \sound folder there should be a file named sound.dat 34,3 MB (36.065.280 bytes)created in January 2003. Below the \sound folder there must be a sub-folder named \spcc which must include a file named spcc.dat 3,73 MB (3.915.776 bytes) created in Septembe 2003.
5. IF both files have those sizes, run NR2003 and see if the CTD gets back.
6. IF the CTD is worked out, then the problem comes from some other wav files. Let me know which addon sounds you have installed and I will see if I can get a copy here.
7. IF the CTD is still there, then one or both DAT files could be corrupted. I can upload the original ones here if this is needed. If this would be the case, then the DAT files included in the GTP installation could be also corrupted.

#3 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Arturo. I will try this on the weekend and let you know how it went. Now that you have pointed me in the right direction, I just wasn't sure which files were the original ones. :thumbup:

#4 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jun 16 2010 - 08:05 PM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jun 16 2010 - 03:29 PM, said:

Thanks Arturo. I will try this on the weekend and let you know how it went. Now that you have pointed me in the right direction, I just wasn't sure which files were the original ones. :thumbup:

One never knows which is the right direction with this stuff till after making some mistakes by oneself ;)

#5 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 19 2010 - 06:02 AM

OK, maybe a step in the right direction. I have only the 2 originals in the sound folder and now I only hear the tyres sliding around and the odd engine noise but it is quiet usually, at least it doesn't CDT anymore. I have deleted all other sound folders (yes, I have backups) Maybe just a reinstall might do the trick :idunno:  or maybe reinstall the mods one at a time. I really can't remember what other sound add ons I have installed  :punish:

#6 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jun 19 2010 - 08:20 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jun 19 2010 - 06:02 AM, said:

OK, maybe a step in the right direction. I have only the 2 originals in the sound folder and now I only hear the tyres sliding around and the odd engine noise but it is quiet usually, at least it doesn't CDT anymore. I have deleted all other sound folders (yes, I have backups) Maybe just a reinstall might do the trick :idunno:  or maybe reinstall the mods one at a time. I really can't remember what other sound add ons I have installed  :punish:

Ok, now we know that there must have been a corrupted wav file in your installation. Check this screen to see the different options you may have to get all the default sounds working properly.

Finally, as you very well said, install one mod at a time and check it to be sure which one may be causing the problem. I know this is pain in the a*s but unfortunately there is no other way to deal with this kind of problems.

Let me know of your progress !!

#7 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 19 2010 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Arturo, it may well be the least of my problems now. I woke up this morning and my computer would not boot and after several attempts I have installed a different hard drive and am currently formatting. I have backups of everything so I think I will just reinstall everything and copy my player files over. Maybe my old hard drive was on its way out and NASCAR2003 was the first thing I noticed suffering from it :idunno:

mmmmm, just using my wife's computer, maybe I should sneak a couple of installs on this. :hmm:

#8 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Jun 19 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jun 19 2010 - 07:32 PM, said:

Thanks Arturo, it may well be the least of my problems now. I woke up this morning and my computer would not boot and after several attempts I have installed a different hard drive and am currently formatting. I have backups of everything so I think I will just reinstall everything and copy my player files over. Maybe my old hard drive was on its way out and NASCAR2003 was the first thing I noticed suffering from it :idunno:

mmmmm, just using my wife's computer, maybe I should sneak a couple of installs on this. :hmm:

Well, unfortunately I canĀ“t help with that, though I could testify in your favor if your wife asks ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links