- - - - -

How To Edit Carset? Add, Remove Or Rename Cars?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manatarms

manatarms

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 12:42 AM

Hi,

I want to edit an existing carset namely to rename the existing generic folders (honda, coventry, ferrari, c10...etc) to give the cars proper names but I have no idea where to start, I searched the forum but nothing came up. Of course renaming them does make the game crash, so I believe there must be something I must edit in the layout folder to make this changes apparent for GPL but I don't know how to proceed. This is just for me of course as I don't plan on using it online and I want to learn a bit more about GPL's file structure. Basically, I'm looking to do something similar to the Legends of GPL mod.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 04:39 AM

a very complex task , you would have to change everything , not only the car file name but all mip files in the cars file, you will have to  hex edit all 3do files in the  car file ,..........and the drivers.ini  and thats the easy part,you will have to edit the general exe of the game , very complex not much people have those qualifications

#3 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 05:06 AM

View Postmanatarms, on Dec 06 2019 - 12:42 AM, said:

Hi,

I want to edit an existing carset namely to rename the existing generic folders (honda, coventry, ferrari, c10...etc) to give the cars proper names but I have no idea where to start, I searched the forum but nothing came up. Of course renaming them does make the game crash, so I believe there must be something I must edit in the layout folder to make this changes apparent for GPL but I don't know how to proceed. This is just for me of course as I don't plan on using it online and I want to learn a bit more about GPL's file structure. Basically, I'm looking to do something similar to the Legends of GPL mod.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm no expert but I think renaming the car folders is not as easy as you may initially think.  I believe there is something in the layout that needs editing.  The mod experts know how to do this but for very good reasons they wisely keep some info/tools secret.

For just moving cars between mods/car slots there is useful information in the following threads ....  the car physics though is another matter entirely.

From Mech
http://srmz.net/inde...wtopic=7647&hl=

from TvO
http://srmz.net/inde...wtopic=5729&hl=

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 05:36 AM

Why do you want to rename carfolders? Because this names don't affect gameplay. This names are only used by exe to find proper car, but car names that you can see ingame are coded into exe. So I think there is no sence to waste time on this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links