• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 21 2018 - 09:14 PM

I've gotten annoyed at this 'defender' scan happening it seems when it wants. i thought i had it set to run in my 'off' hours....
now i wonder if has anything to do with screen freezes or disco's that occur while online racing!

The location of the Automatic Maintenance settings actually did change in Windows 10:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-security-and-maintenance-settings-in-windows-10

So this is where you have to go now to change the schedule for the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task: Right-click on the Start button and choose Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Change maintenance settings.

It’s been 3 years now, and there are still way too many people (including Microsoft documentation authors) who just can’t quite seem to get a grip on how this works. The fact that the controls for the scheduled scan went missing in the new Windows Defender user interface doesn’t mean that the feature was dropped and that you’ve been left to your own devices – it means that the scheduled scan was reengineered so that it now runs reliably without any user configuration. It’s now fully automatic just like the definition updates. So you don’t have to change any settings at all to get the scan up and running; and you certainly don’t need to add a trigger, or otherwise reconfigure the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task. This is a system task, and you would be well advised to just leave it alone. Full Scans don’t need to be scheduled, but if that’s something that you really want to do, you can use the Create Basic Task Wizard.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 06:30 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on Sep 21 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

This is a system task, and you would be well advised to just leave it alone. Full Scans don’t need to be scheduled, but if that’s something that you really want to do, you can use the Create Basic Task Wizard.

Thanks Bo for the info.

The quote from your post has left me wondering tho...should Defender be re-scheduled?
What about other OS like Win7 for instance?

:D

#3 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,052 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 06:54 AM

If you are using Microsoft Windows 'Defender' for anti-virus checking ... it would be wise to change to Microsoft 'Security Essentials' ... also free from Microsoft.

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 09:01 AM

John: as i understand it - Defender can NOT be modified ( i looked, there is no setting )
Greg: Sec Essentials?  separate download? already on system need to be activated? tell us more please

#5 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,052 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 09:43 AM

Bo, I think that when you install MS Security Essentials that it knows about and disables MS Defender.
Also, if your list of programs already shows MS Security Essentials installed, then use this method to change which anti-virus runs on your system.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AC.jpg   83.61K   17 downloads
  • Attached File  SE-DE.jpg   78.17K   18 downloads

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 24 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#6 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,816 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 12:36 PM

MS Security essentials is for the old Win 7 which came by default with Defender (same name but totally different than the one in win 10) that was a very poor AV.
Win 10 comes with Defender as part of it (it is an improved "MS security essential") and MS Security Essential does not work there.

#7 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 24 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on Sep 24 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

John: as i understand it - Defender can NOT be modified ( i looked, there is no setting )
Greg: Sec Essentials?  separate download? already on system need to be activated? tell us more please

Can you disable the scan via Windowss Task Scheduler? It wont take the functionality of Defender but at least it shouldn't start on its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links