John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 07 2016 - 06:43 PM

All speakers worked once "Auditorium" was selected?

Maybe it was that you have to have "EAX - Games" selected, then check "no effects," so you get EAX effects but not in a room.
????

Really I have no idea or clear memory about it, but vaguely recall something was weird like that, maybe.

Edited by John Woods, Jul 08 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#17 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 09 2016 - 06:01 PM

GPL doesn't support EAX - if you force EAX outside of the game you are just basically applying EAX reverberation effects to your entire audio output.

When a game supports EAX, zones are mapped out within the levels with EAX reverb profiles attached to those zones, so when you walk into those zones, the specified profile plays.

For 3D sound on Windows versions after XP, i am pretty sure that GPL uses DirectSound 3D which was taken out of later Windows versions.
You can try this software which works as a wrapper to wrap it to XAudio2:
http://www.indirectsound.com/

In terms of hearing where cars are around you, using can use any HRTF with headphones. There are programs for this. There are some free ones that work with any soundchip, like Razer Surround: http://www.razerzone.com/surround or if you have a creative card, enable CMSS-3D for this.
There were some other free ones, but sadly i can't remember them atm. I'm not sure if Razer Surround is for DirectSound 3D or OpenAL - i've never used it myself.

There is also OpenAL soft for OpenAL games. http://kcat.stranges...net/openal.html

For CMS-3D at least (and maybe other hrtf software), in older games, you would tell Windows / the game that you have a 5.1 or 7.1 system and then let the hrtf software process that into binaural audio for your headphones. Other games don't require this and work properly leaving windows set to headphones (/ headphones).

To be honest, I'm not sure how stereo sound effects help in regards to 3d sound. I imagine they would just be downmixed to mono before being remixed to binaural (hrtf).

Edited by one2fwee, Jul 09 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#18 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Jul 11 2016 - 01:54 PM

thanks... will give them a look and try ~ appreciate the help (links) !

#19 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History

Posted Aug 11 2016 - 10:54 AM

I'm having a sound problem that I don't believe is related to Windows 10 but I did just upgrade from XP via Windows 7. I had run my computer on XP from the time I built it about eight years ago. In recent times It had become increasingly buggy and finally would no longer boot. I had already bought Windows 7 and a new hard drive (as I wanted to keep my existing drive as a backup and protect my existing files and installs) but I had never installed a new operating system and was afraid of totally screwing up my computer.

As I no longer had anything to lose, I replaced the had drive with the new one and successfully installed Windows 7. It was a breeze and it immediately felt like a new computer. I subsequently upgraded a laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and was reasonably happy with it. So I decided to upgrade my desktop computer as well before re-installing GPL. (I had hoped to migrate my old install from the old hard drive but was not successful. That install was a bit buggy and some of the mods had stopped working so a new install was in order anyway.)

I followed the Stefan Roess easy installation guide and decided to install the mods one at a time, getting each one working properly before moving on to the next. I got the basic 1967 install going and to speed things up used my old core.ini and player.ini. After patching with GPLshift , I also used my old gplshift.inI. Firing up GPL for the first time through GEM+, everything seemed fine except there was no sound. This was solved by importing my old Sound folder.

And that is why I do not believe the problem I next encountered is a Windows 10 problem. When I installed the1965 mod, again it seemed fine but there is no sound when running that mod. It uses the same Sound folder and all of the required sound files seem to be there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Mackenzie

Edited by robwmack, Aug 11 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#20 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 11 2016 - 06:25 PM

I have spent my evening trying to solve my sound problem with the 1965 mod with no success. So I decided to install another mod and see how that worked. I installed the GT mod and when I tried it there was still no sound. But this time I tried driving it and there were sounds. There was a low rumble when I stayed on the track. But when I went off the track there were all of the sounds you'd expect to hear.

So it seems the sound is working but I am missing the engine sounds.My Sound file seems to be populated with the files that I should have for the 1965 and GT mods yet I have no engine sounds.

Can anyone help me with this?

Bob Mackenzie

#21 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 11 2016 - 07:05 PM

Just a shot in the dark Bob. When you installed GPL, did you install to a path which contained spaces anywhere? I've sometimes had strange things happen when I install older software to a path which contains spaces, so I normally avoid doing it under any circumstances.

Edited by Saiph, Aug 11 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#22 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 12 2016 - 12:30 AM

Hi Saiph. What do you mean by spaces?

#23 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 12 2016 - 02:37 AM

Hi Saith,

My install path is C:\Sierra\GPL. I gather you mean you wouldn't use a path such as C:\New Install\Sierra\GPL.

Actually, I may have found the problem. Many of the engine sound wave files in my Sound folder are silent when you play them through the Windows media player. I don't know why that is. It would appear I have to replace them with files that actually have sound when you play them.

Bob

#24 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 12 2016 - 04:09 PM

View Postrobwmack, on Aug 12 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

Hi Saith,

My install path is C:\Sierra\GPL. I gather you mean you wouldn't use a path such as C:\New Install\Sierra\GPL.

Yes, that's what I meant.

View Postrobwmack, on Aug 12 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

Actually, I may have found the problem. Many of the engine sound wave files in my Sound folder are silent when you play them through the Windows media player. I don't know why that is. It would appear I have to replace them with files that actually have sound when you play them.

Bob

If the sound files are silent, it might mean that you have an audio codec missing in your Windows install. Sound files can be recorded using many different formats, and if Windows doesn't understand the format of an audio file it sometimes just skips it without letting you know that there's a problem. Alternatively the sound files might have been corrupted somehow, but that would be a bit odd for so many of them to be damaged and yet all the other GPL files to be left in an ok state.

If you think it might be a missing codec, I suggest downloading and installing the "K-Lite Codec Pack" from https://www.codecgui...ownload_kl.htm
When I first upgraded to Windows 8, I had some problems playing some video and audio files on my PC, and after a little searching around I found this pack. It seems to be very comprehensive, and doesn't take much effort to install. After installing it, I can now play just about any file format that's available. The larger packs even include an alternative media player, called "Media Player Home Cinema" which I find nice and convenient. To keep things simple, you might wish to just download the "basic" pack, that should be enough to cover all the most common codecs.

Edited by Saiph, Aug 12 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#25 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Aug 13 2016 - 06:27 AM

I highly endorse Keith's suggestion to D/L and install the 'K-Lite Codec Pack' for Windows.  It is very comprehensive and solves many, many sound and video playback issues.

:thumbup:

#26 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 14 2016 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Keith and Greg. I'll Try that when I'm back at my computer on Monday.

#27 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 15 2016 - 04:32 PM

Sadly nothing has changed. Was there something else I was supposed to do other than just running the K-Lite install?

It's strange that my old 1967 sounds work as do the 1966 Can-Am sounds, but the 1965 and 1967 GT sounds don't work.

Not giving up though and any ideas are appreciated.

I meant to add that they all worked back in my XP install.

#28 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Aug 17 2016 - 01:09 AM

Mods, various sound addons have wave files in different formats. Some files are mono, others are stereo, some files are 8bit, others are 16bit. I think you need determine format of wave files that works fine or better with GPL on your system. And then convert all other files to this format. I did so for my GPL install on Win7.

#29 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Aug 17 2016 - 07:29 AM

robwmack, on the off chance that some of your sound files have been corrupted, please un-zip these files into your sound folder.  See if this helps.

Attached Files

#30 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 17 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hi Pavel,

I'm still trying to figure out how to check the details of the wave file format.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the files. The strange thing is that the GT sounds worked but the 65 sounds didn't.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links