paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 17 2018 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

My PC and GPU can run GPL at steady 36fps ( 60hz ) but what happens at 144hz ?
Will my GTX1050ti be able to produce a steady stream at over twice the refresh rate ?

I am planning on staying with  1920 x1080 res

Paul

#17 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 17 2018 - 08:21 AM

paul skingley, on Jun 17 2018 - 06:44 AM, said:

..... My PC and GPU can run GPL at steady 36fps ( 60hz ) but what happens at 144hz ?
Will my GTX1050ti be able to produce a steady stream at over twice the refresh rate ?

I am planning on staying with  1920 x1080 res

What will probably happen is that GPL will not know anything about the 144hz monitor, so it will keep pumping out 36fps. Your graphics card will be refreshing the video at 144hz, but it will only be updating the picture itself every 4th frame, as GPL supplies it with a new frame. As 144 is a multiple of 36, the two frame rates should sync nicely with each other, and everything should run smoothly. It's possible that GPL could sometimes generate "micro-pauses" or "stutters", depending on what track you're running, so this may occasionally throw the timing out. If you do notice any glitches, try turning on Vsync - that should force GPL and the monitor to stay in sync, even at a 4:1 frame ratio.

#18 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted Jun 17 2018 - 11:24 AM

Thanks again.

So if I get 144hz steady refresh rate do I really need a Gsync monitor or would any 144hz monitor do the same without spending the extra cash ?

These questions really only apply to GPL which is 95% of my sim time.

Paul

#19 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 05 2018 - 03:22 PM

Sorry for the late respone.

Your framerate will be the same as with a 60 herz monitor, but the frametimes will be more consistent. It will be similair to playing GPL on a 72 herz crt.

If you go to a 144 herz monitor you don't really need any sort of sync application because the 36 fps of GPL already lines up with the 144 herz refreshrate as you said. I've actually turned Freesync off on my monitor after a while because it would somtimes cause a black screen on certain applications or suddenly switch my desktop to 60 herz for no reason. But on 144 herz and no freesync I haven't encountered any problems and GPL feels smoother than on my 60 herz monitor. I  can also lock rFactor 2, Automobilista etc to 90 fps or any high framerate and don't see any noticable tearing, which is fantastic.

Freesync or Gsync would be more useful on lower refreshrate monitors. But then you also have to make sure it activates at low framerates like 36 fps, which often is not the case.

But short anwser: Yes any 144 herz monitor will do. Don't spend the extra cash on Gsync, which add a lot the the price.

Edited by Millennium, Jul 05 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#20 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted Jul 17 2018 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

After much thought I decided to go with a 144hz G Sync monitor.

The reason I went with G Sync is although I said I mainly sim with GPL I do sometimes play NR2003 mods especially 69 and 70.
On my system NR2003 runs at variable fps between 40 and 140 fps and I was not sure how a non sync monitor would cope with that without tearing.

When checking out G Sync monitors I was surprised to see that some do not refresh below 40hz which would not be suitable for GPL at 36fps so that is one thing to look for when buying a G Sync monitor.

I decided to buy used as I was still unsure if I was making the right choice so I have bought a 24" 1080p BenQ XL2420G which refreshes 30hz to 144hz.
It came today and so far so good.
I will add more to my report after a few GPL races :)

Paul

#21 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jul 17 2018 - 02:12 PM

paul skingley, on Jul 17 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

When checking out G Sync monitors I was surprised to see that some do not refresh below 40hz which would not be suitable for GPL at 36fps so that is one thing to look for when buying a G Sync monitor.

I would be amazed if Gsync forced your monitor down to 36Hz refresh rate when you're running GPL at 36fps. My bet is that it's far more likely the monitor will refresh at 72Hz or 144Hz. Low refresh rates can cause flickering of the display, which is visible and irritating to me even at 50-60Hz. (Edit: At least that used to be the case when I was running a CRT display. With my flat screen, 60Hz seems fine, but I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.) I can imagine 36Hz would be unbearable. Does Gsync really behave like that? If so, I will never be using Gsync!

Edited by Saiph, Jul 17 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#22 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted Jul 17 2018 - 04:42 PM

First impressions very good.

I ran two races against the AI from the back of a full grid, the first with 69x at Montjuic which before had stutters in places but now smooth.
The second was 55 at Spa67 which also had stutters especially at the tighter corners but tonight I did not notice a single stutter.

I am not sure what G Sync is actually refreshing the display at because there is nothing to tell you but it is smooth with no noticeable flicker.

With GPL running at it's native 36fps the AI work great without having to do anything and gone are the vsync stutters or tearing problems.

I need to do some online races to give a final verdict but so far I would say this is the best I have ever seen GPL ( and that includes trying the 60fps patch with my old 60hz monitor )

Paul

#23 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,839 posts

Posted Jul 18 2018 - 04:46 PM

paul skingley, on Jul 17 2018 - 04:42 PM, said:

First impressions very good.
I need to do some online races to give a final verdict but so far I would say this is the best I have ever seen GPL ( and that includes trying the 60fps patch with my old 60hz monitor )
Paul

Even though we're not exactly sure how it's working, I'm glad it's working for you! :thumbup: :clap:

#24 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted Jul 19 2018 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Saiph.

At first I had G Sync enabled globally but soon found video does not stream well so now I only have G Sync enabled for games that I play in the Nvidia control panel profiles. My desktop runs as a normal 144hz monitor and G Sync only starts up for games applications (games) I have selected.

It is so hot here at the moment I have not tested as much as I would like but I intend to disable G Sync for a side by side test with GPL and see how 144hz on it's own compares to having G Sync enabled.

Paul

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links