sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 10 2019 - 09:50 AM

As the title says, except for pit.lp.
Done for the SC extra mod, still not perfect - the AI cars have the tendency to finish the race prematurely into haybales sometimes - but maybe they try to emulate my race behaviour...

Attached File  Zeltweg67 new AI by Tato.7z   68.42K   41 downloads

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,167 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 10 2019 - 11:15 AM

Tato, these are a very fine set of AI files.  The racing lines are improved over the default ones... and passing is more realistic.  So far, I have not seen them take a liking to the hay bales.  Your driving lines and corner flags have them negotiating T1 very politely.  ;)

Thank you.

#3 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Jan 10 2019 - 02:43 PM

Thank you

#4 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Jan 11 2019 - 04:54 AM

One more time thanks a lot Tato ! :)

As usual, Gliebzeit explains so well the ameliorations you've made, Tato. And I'm perfectly agree with him...

Ancora bravo campione ! :thumbup:

Edited by db312, Jan 11 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 11 2019 - 07:04 AM

Will this improved AI work with other Mods too?

#6 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Classic Sports Cars

Posted Jan 11 2019 - 09:29 AM

Tato,

In addition to JonnyA's question ... what have you done to these AIs, as they seem to react better at 60fps?

I suspect in addition to better lines, you also increased the top speed and proportionately lowered the corning speeds as a percent of top speed.  If that is what you did, how difficult would it be to make AIs that cater to 60fps for other popular tracks?  The general scenario: faster down the straights and slower in the corners would help most tracks at 60 fps.  The faster the tracks the more this would seem to help.

I am intrigued and would like to know more.   Very good work!!!!

Roger

#7 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 01:23 AM

Firstly, thanks to all for warm appreciation, but I say it again, is not perfect, at least with new SC mod - haven't tried yet with other mods. This lead me directly to second point.

View PostJonnyA, on Jan 11 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

Will this improved AI work with other Mods too?

My answer is yes, it should work for other mods too, at least for my experience. Taking in account that Sportscar GT machinery are, simplyfing and generalizing a lot, more powerful and heavier than most Formula cars of the era, so should encounter the worse physics combination for good and easy behaviour about keeping the right line etc., the standard AI .lp files should be ok. My only recommendation is to tweak the specific track.ini for every mod.

View PostRoger_F, on Jan 11 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Tato,

In addition to JonnyA's question ... what have you done to these AIs, as they seem to react better at 60fps?

I suspect in addition to better lines, you also increased the top speed and proportionately lowered the corning speeds as a percent of top speed.  If that is what you did, how difficult would it be to make AIs that cater to 60fps for other popular tracks?  The general scenario: faster down the straights and slower in the corners would help most tracks at 60 fps.  The faster the tracks the more this would seem to help.

I am intrigued and would like to know more.   Very good work!!!!

Roger

Sorry to disappoint Roger, but no one change was done by me into this direction. Generally, I never change things related to AI physics or speed, because most of the times it leads to weird or unpredictable behaviours. As I wrote in another thread about the argument, I have never lauched GPL with 60fps patch, mainly due to AI issues with it. In the same thread, I've read You use the patch, and try to make the AI work better with it.
So my supposition is that, with better/polished lines, AI cars can reach faster speed in corners, so less speed is needed on the straights to match the base lap time, that is the contrary You have seen, if I understand well. But in general, is one of the purposes I try to match when I redo AI files, since - again, generally speaking, but valid for all cars included the originals - AI cars tend to be faster on straights but slower than uman drivers into corners. For me, the only reason I have to make slower lines into corners for AI is to keep far away from troubles as much as I could.
So, just to conclude for now, my apologies for being just useful as ice at the North Pole, hope to not make further confusion about the issue. :idunno: :cry: :)

#8 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 03:01 AM

Dear Tato :)

Please, continue to be "...useful as ice at the North Pole..." like you've done it until now, it works particularly well ! :smug2:

In addition, for someone who lives near Verona, that’s no small feat... :rolleyes:

#9 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 05:44 AM

Thanks Tato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users