burt

burt

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Interests
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yup, I would love to have the '37 for GPL but I must confess I have temporarily jumped ship and got the rfactor 37 mod up and running.
It's pretty good too, amazing engine sounds, suitably tricky handling for the glorious Auto Union. One or two historical inaccuracies though, a scarf waving in the wind for the Auto Union drivers (never seen that in all the photo's and footage over years of obsession with the silver arrows) also one or two drivers have moustaches, again none of the drivers had them. Overall though pretty impressed and having plenty of fun. Of course there is not quite the community we have in GPL, we should never forget just how good it is.

One question re: the vid Twinpotter, what's with the drivers all wearing 60's helmets and overalls, certainly don't have that in rfactor - see screenshots.

Attached File  rFactor 2013-04-07 22-06-20-36.jpg   112.81K   134 downloadsAttached File  rFactor 2013-04-09 20-35-58-41.jpg   130.39K   148 downloadsAttached File  rFactor 2013-04-09 21-13-18-29.jpg   132.36K   128 downloadsAttached File  rFactor 2013-04-09 21-17-11-97.jpg   106.64K   130 downloadsAttached File  rFactor 2013-04-12 22-53-17-44.jpg   66.77K   137 downloadsAttached File  rFactor 2013-04-14 21-05-24-53.jpg   127.74K   104 downloads

So yes, can't wait for it in GPL, and a 62 mod too. I'm no youngster so went for the rfactor version for now because I wanted to drive these before I die! :) Missing the 60's though so will be back to GPL for some 65-67 action soon.

Burt

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi Burt I found the video clip while looking for something else on you tube so I thought I would share it here.It is titled according to you tube "1937 GPL by Rom Shaker1".I am not sure myself what mod it is from but had an idea it could be rfactor.Know the track is Brooklands.I presume the gpl modders would not release a 1937 gpl mod video until nearer completion of the mod?Sorry to get everyones hopes up as I am too waiting for the so called older year grand prix mods to be completed.Wish I was more talented on that front to help complete.
I have thought about getting the 1937 mod for rfactor too because of the nostalgic racing.I have a rfactor disc somewhere abouts but uninstalled it a few years back due to lack of space on my pc.I may have to see if I can fit it back in somehow to try the mod.
What is the 1937 rfactor mod like?As it got any old historic tracks and do you take part in a season like gpl?I have played spirit of speed which I liked for the old school racing but the game was just not really there unfortunately.
Oh and thanks Duncan for the nice video too!

Respects-Twinpotter

Edited by twinpotter, Apr 22 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,625 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 09:31 AM

Just found a few more things on Trackaholics!

http://www.esport-ra...catid=19&type=4

I have to admit I have never heard of them.

Twinpotter

#7 burt

burt

burt

• Supporter
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Interests

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Apr 22 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hi Burt I found the video clip while looking for something else on you tube so I thought I would share it here.It is titled according to you tube "1937 GPL by Rom Shaker1".I am not sure myself what mod it is from but had an idea it could be rfactor.Know the track is Brooklands.I presume the gpl modders would not release a 1937 gpl mod video until nearer completion of the mod?Sorry to get everyones hopes up as I am too waiting for the so called older year grand prix mods to be completed.Wish I was more talented on that front to help complete.
I have thought about getting the 1937 mod for rfactor too because of the nostalgic racing.I have a rfactor disc somewhere abouts but uninstalled it a few years back due to lack of space on my pc.I may have to see if I can fit it back in somehow to try the mod.
What is the 1937 rfactor mod like?As it got any old historic tracks and do you take part in a season like gpl?I have played spirit of speed which I liked for the old school racing but the game was just not really there unfortunately.
Oh and thanks Duncan for the nice video too!

Respects-Twinpotter

Hi Twin,

The 37 mod for rfactor is well worth a go, it's not quite like GPL but it's one of the few ways to drive these cars until we get the gpl version. I'm a long term Auto Union obsessive and couldn't wait any longer so gave it a shot. I've tweaked a few things like adding Ernst Von Delius who was inexplicably missing and removed a few sounds which were irritating but it's great overall. There is a season option in the menu but I haven't tried it yet.

Period tracks: The Ring and the Sudschielfe, Tripoli, Carthage, Spa, Bremgarten (brilliant), Nepliget, Sempione, Avus and a lot of others I haven't got round to yet. A lot of the tracks are gpl conversions so you will feel at home on them. Also, one of the fantasy tracks which comes with the game - Leinz (I think it's called) is very good and has lots of options - gp long/short/hillclimb etc.

Physics don't seem that different to me but then again I have only driven the Auto Union, it's a real handful, makes a 67 BRM look like a pussycat in comparison. Graphics are very good and don't seem to crimp the old fps too much either.
So yeah, if you can make room on yer HD you wont regret it. It was simple to set up and tweak too.

Burt

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,625 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks Burt for the info.Will check out the mod a.s.a.p!Now where's that rfactor disc.

Twinpotter.

#9 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 02:14 PM

The first video shows a mod for GTL put out by Trackaholics and is available here:- http://trackaholics....stars.org/   You will need to register to download but it is free.  it is almost certainly a conversion of the rfactor mod.

A while ago I got the combined GTL/GTR2 CD so that I could get the Power & Glory mod and race MkII Jaguars.  I then found out how easy it was to add the myriad mods available for both games.  The 1937 GP mod is terrific fun to drive.  Most of the cars have controllable oversteer and offer fun racing.  There is also a Mercedes W25 available that fits in well with the 1937 mod.

Cars available are - Alfa Romeo 12c (5 skins), Auto Union C (5 skins), Bugatti 51 GP (8 skins), Bugatti 51 Sports (10 skins), ERA R4B (5 skins), Maserati 6CM (5 skins), Mercedes-Benz W125 (5 skins) and also the Mercedes-Benz W25 (10 skins).

Most, if not all of the tracks mentioned above are available for either GTR2 or GTL and tracks made for the one sim are easily converted to the other.  My system is basically the GTR2 sim with the P&G mod on it.

I will probably get severely flamed for saying this, but people who really want to drive 1937 era GP cars will be far better off to get what is available now for rfactor or GTL than to wait for a GPL mod that, to be realistic, will quite probably never arrive.  Even if we do eventually get it, it will probably be already rendered obsolete by other sims.

Edited by benzman, Apr 22 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#10 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 04:09 PM

A late comment on the Brooklands video - very nicely done, ,much enjoyed viewing it, and many thanks for pointing it in our direction.  My grandfather raced at the track in it's earliest years, and I've picked up the flavor from my Fathers many photographs, and tales from that era. The Sim seems to have captured the setting well.

To avoid my report being too boring, I'll mention the tropical sun.  We need more of it in England, but it never gets as bright as the track suggests.    Everything else, more or less rings true - nice job :) .

#11 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postbenzman, on Apr 22 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

I will probably get severely flamed for saying this, but people who really want to drive 1937 era GP cars will be far better off to get what is available now for rfactor or GTL than to wait for a GPL mod that, to be realistic, will quite probably never arrive.  Even if we do eventually get it, it will probably be already rendered obsolete by other sims.

That's probably reasonable advice although I don't completely agree that GPL will ever become obsolete as long as there are those of us who like the physics.  But it is a fair assessment that it's becoming more difficult to compete with the newer sims; especially in the graphics area.  iRacing, rFactor, and the promised PCars can look stunning in comparison IMHO.

We do have have a '30s F1 mod in development, but it won't be done until after the '50s F1 mod.  At the current rate of development, I don't see a '30s F1 mod for GPL being released for perhaps another year or or more.  And that may be an optimistic estimate.

We are doing our best to keep GPL fresh with new mods, but there are only a very few of us now so it simply takes a lot of time to get anything done.  We'll keep at it as long as we can.

Edited by Lee200, Apr 22 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#12 richard cooke

richard cooke

Pedro Rodriquez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 22 2013 - 04:39 PM

There is a youtube video of a guy doing a lap of the tourist Nurburging in 6m 56s in the AU streamliner in GT4.

Adding the start finish loop would make it about 7 and a half minutes for the full pre chicane Nurburgring, compared to Rosemeyer’s best time of 9m 46s in the GP car.  The streamliner was at least 100kg heavier, the body generated lots of lift, and ironically the reduced drag would increase stopping distances. It would be lucky to lap the Nurburgring in 10 and a half minutes, so the GT4 physics are about 3 minutes too fast round the Nurburgring.  Since the straight line speed is about right, those 3 minutes come from having too much tire grip.

#13 1967driver

1967driver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 01:11 AM

I tried this mod on rFactor, and seem to be a classic GPL mod: excellent graphic, excellent sound, RIDICOLOUS physics (worse than that in GPL).
At all physics scientist: a nice little trip to Lourdes ?
Maybe it's the right time that a miracle occour and we can have a decent hystoric sim in our hands.

#14 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 01:40 AM

This stuff about 'physics' always gets me a bit confused.  I have driven the C type Auto Union on my GTR2 sim but I have NEVER driven one in real life, and nor, I feel quite certain, has anyone else in the simming and modding world.  So how am I supposed to know if the physics are good or bad?  How is ANYONE supposed to know?  Beats me.  And as far as I am concerned, that goes for virtually all other sims and mods, except possibly for a few of the modern sedan-type cars.

Edited by benzman, Apr 23 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#15 Miguelito

Miguelito

Harde baas

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 03:22 AM

Richard does kind of explain why the physics might be wrong...

#16 1967driver

1967driver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 03:53 AM

View Postbenzman, on Apr 23 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

This stuff about 'physics' always gets me a bit confused.  I have driven the C type Auto Union on my GTR2 sim but I have NEVER driven one in real life, and nor, I feel quite certain, has anyone else in the simming and modding world.  So how am I supposed to know if the physics are good or bad?  How is ANYONE supposed to know?  Beats me.  And as far as I am concerned, that goes for virtually all other sims and mods, except possibly for a few of the modern sedan-type cars.
Eyes and BRAIN can help us to understand how this cars work:

#17 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 08:53 AM

There are some fundamental aspects of physics you can check, such as weight, weight distribution, power, suspension travel and stiffness etc. to see if these are the right ballpark.  In a 1971 mod for rFactor the cars had a weight distribution of 50/50 while in reality the cars were between 40/60 and 35/65, and the suspension was ten times stiffer than it should have been.

#18 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sounds like a handful to drive on skinny tires.

#19 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostDavid Wright Lo67, on Apr 23 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

There are some fundamental aspects of physics you can check, such as weight, weight distribution, power, suspension travel and stiffness etc. to see if these are the right ballpark.  In a 1971 mod for rFactor the cars had a weight distribution of 50/50 while in reality the cars were between 40/60 and 35/65, and the suspension was ten times stiffer than it should have been.

As David said, there are some fundamental things that should be used without much disagreement.  From the mods I've worked on, I believe the actual car data such as he mentions have been used whenever possible and for those cases where the data wasn't available, a sound educated guess was used.  Things like weight are readily available, but others like CofG height are not.

Unfortunately, GPL is so complex that simply inputting these known variables never results in a satisfactory product without much additional effort.  I wish it were not so as that would certainly speed up mod development.

After the known data is entered into the physics is when the real work begins.  It takes hours and hours of testing by the mod team members and is very much a dynamic process.  Typically, dozens of different physics settings packages are tried and discarded before the majority of the team members feel comfortable with the cars' handling and final physics.  As Benzman said, none of us has actually driven a Lotus 49 or a Ferrari 330 P4 so everyone has a different opinion on how the cars should handle based on our own driving experiences and other sources of information such as the videos of the Silver Arrows.

And opinions are like toilets and Ford Mustangs in the '60s...everyone's got one.  :)

Contrary to popular belief, our non alien drivers have just as much input as our alien drivers so the final physics is a result of the combined effort of both types of drivers.  After all, what good is a mod if only 1% of us can drive it?

Edited by Lee200, Apr 23 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#20 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Apr 23 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostLee200, on Apr 22 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

We are doing our best to keep GPL fresh with new mods, but there are only a very few of us now so it simply takes a lot of time to get anything done.  We'll keep at it as long as we can.

Amen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links