• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 09:57 AM

Intend to change OS on my dedicated GPL computer (from Linux to Win10). It was some years ago I installed on this computer but it hasn't any CD-drive so I must have somehow 'translated' my original GPL CD to an USB without any problem. Guessed I had the info necessary from the GPL Easy Installation Guide back then but reading it now don't mention the situation of installing without a CD-drive.

I hope someone can give me the right hints. Or is it just to use some ISO-tool to convert it and put that on the USB-stick and handle the installation with the choice of that drive? Any such tools recommended?

#2 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 10:19 AM

View PostMickeK, on Aug 29 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

Guessed I had the info necessary from the GPL Easy Installation Guide back then but reading it now don't mention the situation of installing without a CD-drive.

I don`t remember that I ever had that kind of information in my guide.

I have never tried installing GPL from any other drive than a CD.
But I presume it should work.

You could create an ISO file of the GPL CD and then try to put it on a USB.
But I think the easier way would be to mount the disc image as a virtual CD drive. That is a feature that is already built-in Windows 10 (provided you are on Windows 10).
How to Mount ISO Disk Image Files in Windows 10
https://www.youtube....h?v=WLj2Fb1klLo

Edited by Stefan Roess, Aug 29 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#3 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 167 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 10:35 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Aug 29 2020 - 10:19 AM, said:

I don`t remember that I ever had that kind of information in my guide.

I have never tried installing GPL from any other drive than a CD.
But I presume it should work.

You could create an ISO file of the GPL CD and then try to put it on a USB.
But I think the easier way would be to mount the disc image as a virtual CD drive. That is a feature that is already built-in Windows 10 (provided you are on Windows 10).
How to Mount ISO Disk Image Files in Windows 10
https://www.youtube....h?v=WLj2Fb1klLo

I'm 100% positive it works as I once did the very same installtion in the same computer without a CD-drive. But it was some time ago and I don't remember what I used. Perhaps it's just to look for tools that convert CD's to an ISO-file and then mount that on an USB. Will report the outcome, but anyone having some tips and hints are welcome with input.

Naturally I have another computer with Win10 and a CD-drive to manage the preparation of an USB.

Edited by MickeK, Aug 29 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#4 Tormentor

Tormentor

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 10:38 AM

There is no need for an install, you could just copy your GPL folder from your old hd to your new. Just in case you have your old hd still available.

#5 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 167 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 29 2020 - 11:15 AM

View PostTormentor, on Aug 29 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

There is no need for an install, you could just copy your GPL folder from your old hd to your new. Just in case you have your old hd still available.

I've saved it, but as I've lost track of different add-on and so since my last installation years ago  I would prefer to do a fresh installation with the latest installers (my prefered Mods included) and then follow up by installing recommended Add-ons in the latest Easy Installation Guide. Have a need to clean up some old clutter and get a fresh installation with the latest files. That's why I will rund from scratch and have use for an USB with the original CD.

A big difference is that the latest installer includes things I had to add before so I prefer a clean installtion of all those.

As I did some Mods to personalize certain cars I drive in some of the mods I will use my backup from the old installation to be able to copy in those specific files. I know I will loose laptimes and so but I have them noted elsewhere. A fresh start might be to try to beat my own old records ;).

Guess I hace something here. Will check it up tomorrow https://www.howtogee...t-a-disc-drive/

Edited by MickeK, Aug 29 2020 - 12:26 PM.

#6 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted Aug 30 2020 - 09:29 PM

GPL is old school, no "installation" required.  I have migrated mine across four computers over the years with a mere copy/paste from one to the other.  Depending on what you have installed,  editing of some ini or cfg files may be necessary to reflect path changes.

#7 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 167 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 04:25 AM

View Postjgf, on Aug 30 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

GPL is old school, no "installation" required.  I have migrated mine across four computers over the years with a mere copy/paste from one to the other.  Depending on what you have installed,  editing of some ini or cfg files may be necessary to reflect path changes.

As said. I saved the full GPL-folder from the last installation but years have passed and sometimes no driving for long periods. Added some and missed some. As the latest full installer include a lot of former add-ons this was an opportunity to get most things up to date and clean up some installations I once made but don't bother to keep. I will use the old copy to put in those mods of cars and helmets I've done to personalize the cars I drive.

Otherwise it all worked well. I created an ISO of the old installation-CD and from that file it was just to copy the result over to an USB. Ran the installation from scratch yesterday without any problem. Didn't even care about trying to save my old lap records. Nice to start from scratch and try to reach those hot lap times.

#8 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 06:33 AM

View PostMickeK, on Aug 31 2020 - 04:25 AM, said:

Otherwise it all worked well. I created an ISO of the old installation-CD and from that file it was just to copy the result over to an USB. Ran the installation from scratch yesterday without any problem.

Great that you got it working!
I think I will add a line about how to do a fresh GPL installation when you don't have a CD/DVD drive in your PC or laptop anymore, which is quite common nowadays.

:wave:

#9 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 167 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 07:34 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Aug 31 2020 - 06:33 AM, said:

Great that you got it working!
I think I will add a line about how to do a fresh GPL installation when you don't have a CD/DVD drive in your PC or laptop anymore, which is quite common nowadays.

:wave:

A good idea. Found out that of my three desktops and two laptops, just the oldest of the desktops had CD/DVD drive. Saved me some money to be able to create a 'virtual' CD on the USB. The alternative is to buy an external USB CD-drive. This was almost free. Now I saved the USB in my original GPL box, just in case.

At the moment that computer isn't running and I can't recall the name of software but any software that read a CD to an ISO image will do. In my case it was packaged as a .rar -file. It was just to unpack it and move all the files to the USB, let the Installation program know that's the 'CD-drive' and run it  :)

Edited by MickeK, Aug 31 2020 - 07:42 AM.

#10 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 11:28 AM

I use this to mount iso files. Creates a ghost drive on your PC. Worked for me in the past.

http://www.magiciso....isc-history.htm

TP:

#11 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 12:21 PM

Damon tools is what I use and there's a free version https://www.daemon-t...products/dtLite

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links