Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 11:13 AM

I wonder what you can come up with to be grumpy about when the '67 season tracks are all there :-D

#102 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 11:56 AM

Having the tracks still doesn't make a Championship. It took years to get it all correct in GPL.

The small details add more fun when you're picky.

Picky = Immersion.

Enjoy the mod for what it is. Please don't call it GPL2 until it is.

#103 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,491 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 01:36 PM

So, i was under the impression that there were no proper triple screen modifications and the only possibility was to use something like eyefinity or nvidia surroud with the crappy single viewport over 3 monitors triple screen.
However watching this youtube video (recorded around 2002 no less!) shows a version of GPL with proper triple screen support with separate viewports for each screen. Notice how the angle changes on the angled side screens.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AYteSA25Q2E

This appears to be done on multiple computers with the sidescreen computers each running copies of the game and spectating (does that mean it is only available for online play?). Details are short on the video.

Anyway, i never knew GPL had been modified in this way, proper triple support from a single instance on a single computer would be great. Obviously the FOVs, angles, positions of each screen would have to be configured in an ini file or something, but that would be great.

I just saw this randomly on youtube and was surprised! Especially considering how old it is and that i'd never heard about it properly or realised it was actual independent viewports.

On a side note, it's really annoying that that assetto corsa mod has called itself "grand prix legends" as it is making gpl content harder to search for. Just try searching on youtube for grand prix legends and sorting by date order for example. They really should change the name…

View PostJohn Woods, on Dec 10 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

On the side note, clearly it is an ignorant, abusive, disrespectful, maybe dangerous altogether, supremely rude and blatant attack that reveals complete lack of integrity.

Have to say as well, if Grand Prix Legends is such a crappy old sim, why does everyone want to glom onto it, steal from it, pretend they are it?

:D

I just reposted here two posts from this topic : http://srmz.net/inde...topic=12590&hl=

What is happening with all this canibalization of GPL ? Cld be the best tribute to the game, but that ain't the most honest solution  to promote the game . Those who put Grand Prix Legends in the title of AC videos may not be aware of the negative effects but the result of their actions is to confuse minds
The subject has been discussed so many times... no one owns the word GRAND, the word PRIX and the word LEGENDS, but the three put together have created a kind of trademark for racing simulation so much so that using the 3 words together for other platforms becomes an  imediate hijack

Edited by M Needforspeed, Dec 11 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#104 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 02:04 PM

If that Zandvoort track in AC isn't from GPL i'll eat my boots.

#105 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 02:55 PM

I think Sergio Loro did Zandvoort from scratch... but well... he's among the most talented GPL trackmakers.
It wouldn't surprise to me if some GPL conversions become usual

Marcos

#106 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 05:58 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 11 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

If that Zandvoort track in AC isn't from GPL i'll eat my boots.

i made track from scratch, nothing to do with GPL track mesh, i used data from modern track for elevations until schleviak and some data from GPL track and onboard lap from Grand Prix movie for rest of track.
basically the 3d mesh was done from ground zero by me, same for all the stuff around track.
off course Assetto Corsa is not set to host a 60's event, so some stuff is missing.

Edited by sergioloro, Dec 11 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#107 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 06:27 PM

Ok, I apologize. It sure looks like the GPL version but I guess it would if it's accurate.

#108 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted Dec 11 2018 - 07:39 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 11 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

Ok, I apologize. It sure looks like the GPL version but I guess it would if it's accurate.
no problem at all :up:

#109 Keyser Zose

Keyser Zose

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 12 2018 - 05:12 AM

Ive taken this AC mod for a spin now and to me it basically comes down to this. The tracks are awsome to drive , the Spa66 version is one of the coolest tracks Ive driven in a game. The cars , well , it sure isnt gpl yet. Dont know if the objective is to replicate the gpl physics but its not there yet , not even close I would say. Its not gpl 2. But it looks great and its fairly enjoyable to drive. I would give it a 6/10 score. GPL being 10/10.

Ive signed up for the SRO league that starts in january to see how it compares to gpl online so Im gonna stick with it for a while and give it a proper chance.

#110 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted Dec 12 2018 - 05:50 AM

Remco and Neils,and some other guys,is the reason that since 1999 i still race GPL.
I TRUST and respect their opinion.
please stop this.

#111 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted Dec 12 2018 - 06:22 AM

View Posttikfas, on Dec 12 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

Remco and Neils,and some other guys,is the reason that since 1999 i still race GPL.
please stop this.

I'll never leave GPL while it exist for online racing. Actually I'm closely involved in the organization of Mybroga (and always trying to recruit people to GPL and our league).
Also I think that a sim will replace GPL only when it have at least a dozen leagues of historical F1 cars with full grids in at least American and European time zones. And this clearly is far to occur.
But I'm always exploring other sims... just because I think it's good to know where the World go, if it goes anywhere ;)

When I turn on my driving rig I'll go to my next Mybroga track+car combination in 99% of the times :)

Cheers. Marcos

Edited by mcmirande, Dec 12 2018 - 06:24 AM.

#112 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted Dec 12 2018 - 08:55 AM

please stop this.

Please stop what? Coming to the GPL forum and claiming another sim is GPL2 will get some challenge. We have a right to our opinion as you and others have. What you can't do and shouldn't try to do is stop someone else from giving their opinion.

#113 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 12 2018 - 10:04 AM

View Postsergioloro, on Dec 11 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 11 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

no problem at all :up:

Pete, did you shoot your boot before you ate it?
Really nice track Sergio.
:)

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 12 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

please stop this.

Please stop what? Coming to the GPL forum and claiming another sim is GPL2 will get some challenge. We have a right to our opinion as you and others have. What you can't do and shouldn't try to do is stop someone else from giving their opinion.

+1, (although technically not on the GPL forums and it is fun to know what else is going on), still have to agree with Pete's sentiment.

Plus, not sure who tikfas is addressing?
Probably the first rule of being your own expert is "Trust No One."

BTW, if someone were to start from scratch, what would be a reasonable moderate investment in AC in terms of hardware required and price of getting to point of being able to pretend its sort of Grand Prix Legends?

They could have called it "The 67F1 Mod"

Edited by John Woods, Dec 12 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#114 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Dec 13 2018 - 02:12 AM

Think it ran on Vista at the start. I looked on Steam when this mod was introduced as I can still download original. I've 8.1 system but only 5.89 usable memory so couldn't use it at the last big update before they started charging for the following update. I struggled all the way through with it. My computer wasn't really good enough for the job.
I did think about trying it on my Vista computer that I still have.

Edited by Andy Clegg, Dec 13 2018 - 02:16 AM.

#115 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Dec 13 2018 - 07:18 PM

It is great to see modders putting love & effort to make mods for sims they like :D

Edited by SV3000, Today, 09:00 AM.

#116 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 13 2018 - 09:38 PM

Modding Grand Prix Legends has made us all winners, which we are celebrating after twenty years of still-not-believing how much has been accomplished, far beyond what anyone once thought possible.

That's why there can never be a GPL2.

Racers with inflated egos...go figure.

Edited by John Woods, Today, 10:03 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

John Woods, Remco Hitman

Sim Racing Links