• 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 06:05 AM

This may be helpful.

Coronavirus Health Advice - James Robb, MD FCAP
3-5-20

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. Normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasize enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

AND:
As some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon.
This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.
I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it.

Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share.

Good luck to all of us! James Robb, MD FCAP

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 07:41 AM

Pete, this is by far the most thorough and concise presentation of the care needed to help stay as safe as possible in a world with this new coronavirus.

Thank you, my friend.

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 07:50 AM

Pete, please don't spread fake news from unknown sources. Who the f*ck is "James Robb"? No-one has ever heard of him. This is bullshit.

Examples:

"1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold" - bullshit. Respiratory viruses affect different people in different ways. The only 100% certain way to confirm the presence or absence of Covid-19 is a viral test.

"4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne." - bullshit. Fine droplets can stay suspended in the air for several minutes.

There are so many other problems with this post but I'm not going to waste my time. Please show some intelligence and don't spread bullshit spam from unknown sources.

REFER TO YOUR OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT ADVICE CENTRES FOR REAL ADVICE. DON'T LISTEN TO DUMB AND/OR MALICIOUS IDIOTS.

Edit: Admins, please lock this thread before it gets out of hand. Thanks.

Edited by Saiph, Mar 10 2020 - 07:56 AM.

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,481 posts

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 07:56 AM

Research:

https://www.snopes.c...es-coronavirus/

https://biospecimens...htleaders/robb/

https://wlos.com/new...na-virus-expert

#5 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 09:15 AM

View PostSaiph, on Mar 10 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

Pete, please don't spread fake news from unknown sources. Who the f*ck is "James Robb"? No-one has ever heard of him. This is bullshit.

Examples:

"1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold" - bullshit. Respiratory viruses affect different people in different ways. The only 100% certain way to confirm the presence or absence of Covid-19 is a viral test.

"4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne." - bullshit. Fine droplets can stay suspended in the air for several minutes.

There are so many other problems with this post but I'm not going to waste my time. Please show some intelligence and don't spread bullshit spam from unknown sources.

REFER TO YOUR OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT ADVICE CENTRES FOR REAL ADVICE. DON'T LISTEN TO DUMB AND/OR MALICIOUS IDIOTS.

Edit: Admins, please lock this thread before it gets out of hand. Thanks.

Just trying to help. It's been posted on several forums. You don't need to be such a know it all :expletive: about it.

#6 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 09:23 AM

Please don't lock this thread. We should use it for those who are closely related. We all have Italian fellow drivers. Everyone okay there? Everyone okay anywhere? Hungary has such a healthcare(less) system that we must be really careful. As the joke says covid ignores Hungary as it is afraid of our hospital infections...

Edited by fajanko, Mar 10 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 12:35 PM

"On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. Normal laundry detergent will kill it."
"The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!"

???

But the advice is generically sound.  Indications are that the spread is already diminishing and that fatalities are primarily among the very young, very old, and those with immune system deficiencies;  healthy adults will experience a rather wretched flu-like condition for several days but will recover.

#8 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,481 posts

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, all good for healthy young adults.  What about the other groups?

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 01:37 PM

A lot of older ppl, and chronically ill will suffer from this for sure I'm afraid. I think it's good to discuss and talk about it.

In our region it hasn't been confirmed yet, but just a matter of time. Remember most countries did only few thousands of tests: it's way more spread than the numbers tell you.

The situation in Italy is very worrying IMO. Stay safe.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Mar 10 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#10 Lalethor

Lalethor

Alessandro Isacchini

• Supporter
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Racing & Gnagna

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 02:30 PM

Hi from Italy :D
The real problem here is the high number of test done, and of course the naturally effect is an high number of infected.. For example In France or in Allemagne the government is "silent" at least until a few days ago . But many italian people have had the fevre in recently past like in any winter, and many had this virus without problems

From today all the country is in "curfew" but is for prevention, because there's not enough place in hospital for eventually intensive care, so is possible to go at work or move only if necessary, Sincerely my real fear is for the economy

#11 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 02:35 PM

I Googled "James Robb" and then got on to the "Snopes" page that detects BS. Have a look at this for (probable) verification. https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

I think that I would go along with the advice anyway

:dino:

#12 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 04:48 PM

Just be careful what you assume from these sources.

Yesterday I saw an official study from China that actually shows that the virus CAN live on surfaces for several days at 37 Degrees Celsius [ 100 degrees fahrenheit ].

So hot weather wont kill it; but UV light [ sunlight ] might!

#13 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Mar 10 2020 - 09:04 PM

plenty of sunlight here in Aussie

we dont have much of an ozone layer above our heads either which lets through even more uv light than any other place on earth

yet this virus is still spreading fast

the news media are not helping spreadin BS coursing panic

hell a bloke carnt even buy some bog roll because the Chinese are buying it by the truck load n selling it back to china for $20 - $50 per roll

Edited by Brocky05, Mar 10 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#14 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,765 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostLalethor, on Mar 10 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

The real problem here is the high number of test done, and of course the naturally effect is an high number of infected.. For example In France or in Allemagne the government is "silent" at least until a few days ago . But many italian people have had the fevre in recently past like in any winter, and many had this virus without problems

From today all the country is in "curfew" but is for prevention, because there's not enough place in hospital for eventually intensive care, so is possible to go at work or move only if necessary, Sincerely my real fear is for the economy

Yes, my main concern is also the economy. again, the European Union showed it is mainly technocrats centralised in Brussels, they stayed silent and showed it is rather each nation that has to make decisions on how to manage this overrated problem. In France, we are discovering now that every year, mainly in winter and touching older persons,around 10000  persons dies from flu viruses, a shared percentage number with others countries . And suddenly, 23 died and we are going to slow down and disorganize all the normal life activities

When we will look back at this thing, we will point at the media responsabilty in constantly wanting to break news only on this. They bring everyday a snd virus to our ears and eyes.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Mar 11 2020 - 02:22 AM.

#15 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,765 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 02:09 AM

View PostLalethor, on Mar 10 2020 - 02:30 PM, said:

The way Italy manage the thing never cease to amaze me !
Reminiscing ??  Maybe a confusion with the 1348 - 1354 black plague that devastated europe ( searchers estimate between 40 % and 70 % of the people died !) and that imported from middle eastern areas appeared first in italian peninsula.Mother is italian, and she said the XIV century plague is more present in italian people mind, because at school,teachers relate in details the plague effects on the italian economy for the following centuries.

( Not to say that France is "managing in a better way" the coronavirus, in fact everyday our  politicians change their views, that create a higher stress in people minds )

Edited by M Needforspeed, Mar 11 2020 - 02:31 AM.

#16 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 04:38 AM

Coincidentally, our local PBS affiliate ran a round table discussion with local doctors and representatives of Wexner Medical Center regarding corona last evening.  Their facts:

"We wish people were as concerned about the flu as they are about corona virus."

If you are healthy you have little to fear.

It is  not known how long the virus can live outside a host.

Masks will not prevent you from catching the virus but may help prevent you spreading it.

It is extremely virulent and easily spread in crowds.

It is easily killed by ordinary household disinfectants.

#17 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,179 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 05:28 AM

I can give some facts too.

Here the hospitals cannot accept any more people, they are full. You better not have a heart attack or break a leg.
Here in my area there are no more caskets to bury the dead; for real.
Yesterday just in my village 20 more died.

Double check what "they" tell you since, at the beginning, "they" don't want the economy to suffer but you better think about you and your relatives and friends.
I think I will care a f*k about  the economy if I'm dead!

This is not a flu.

#18 roberto teso

roberto teso

untitled

• Supporter
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:shoestrings theory

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 07:32 AM

Ciao a tutti,
meanwhile I would like to say that the Padova Corse Team, I, Piero Mercaldo and Marco Mercaldo, are fine, I am the only one in quarantine, since the other Saturday because I had dinner with other people, two of which were successively positive but, fortunately, to date, I have no symptoms.
I am (almost) 56 years old, Piero 55 and Marco 52, all in good health and shape, even if we are smokers, the one most at risk is Marco because he works in the hospital, an environment that raises risks enormously. We all live in Padua or in the immediate surroundings, I confirm that even here the hospitals are in a critical situation, although not as serious as Lombardy. I can not give judgments on what reported by Pete, I can only suggest some links that allow you to have the most accurate information possible:

The specific World Health Organization website that contains information on how to properly protect yourself:
WHO coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak

Worldometer, where you can follow the progress of the situation with all the statistics:
COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak

I can confirm that, among many, Italy's specific problems, in this case is the high number of elderly people, many with pathologies that, unfortunately, increase the risk of death in case of infection with COVID-19, diabetes, vascular diseases etc., in addition to having, especially in the north, one of the highest population densities in the world, even if not concentrated in large urban centers, apart from Milan and Turin, except that, starting from Trieste to Turin, there is never more than a kilometer without a small town, or group of houses.

Let health be with you

Edit reason: I prefer to greet you in Italian for this occasion.
Second edit: correct some english mistake.

Edited by roberto teso, Mar 11 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#19 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 08:08 AM

Grazie per informazione.

Take care guys!

#20 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Mar 11 2020 - 12:06 PM

First local cases here in Groningen. One student who went to Sestriere late February. You can guess what will happen coming days, Groningen being a students city and very social...

Also a case in my small hometown Nieuwe Pekela, where my mother lives. She just told me she goes to church anyway.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Mar 11 2020 - 12:19 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

db312, KARTM

Sim Racing Links