#1 ummagumma

ummagumma

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 31 2009 - 02:03 AM

hey, so I've been learning the Nords with a 911 RSR, any setup tips here?

95% seems to be "memorize the entire track" LOL

but for other 5%, here's what's happening:

at high speed, the front wanders, and often the car will start to fishtail like a pendulum when I correct....this seems to happen whether I am on or off throttle ( I assumed it's best to keep some traction on the back wheels to keep the heavy rear-end planted? ) and invariably results in me swinging back/forth along the track for a bit, then slamming into a wall. very hard to recover from

the 911 loves slow speed corners!! very easy to turn in....however fast corners the front end gets severe understeer & often straightlines into a barrier....must be the light weight upfront??

any setup advice re: these would be great, I am fairly new to messing with setups...usually I just get one that works ok & stick with it, haven't really had the tiem to learn to dial them in etc

*edit* I just found the stickied guides at the top of this page, will look thru them, thanks for posting!

cheers

Edited by ummagumma, May 31 2009 - 02:08 AM.

#2 aSa

aSa

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 252 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 02 2009 - 01:30 AM

View Postummagumma, on May 31 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

at high speed, the front wanders, and often the car will start to fishtail like a pendulum when I correct....this seems to happen whether I am on or off throttle ( I assumed it's best to keep some traction on the back wheels to keep the heavy rear-end planted? ) and invariably results in me swinging back/forth along the track for a bit, then slamming into a wall. very hard to recover from

Sounds familiar..  :P  I would also add the habit of overreacting when the inner front tyre hits sidestones.  This is the thing I mostly dislike (I can't say "hate", it's fun tho, sometimes ;)) at NS.

Of course I'm wrong person to talk about setups (I don't have ANY working setups, that would cure the habits), because I don't know how to make them.  I myself have tried to learn live with them, and just practise more.

So if the front of 911 tries to push too much in a turn, I just try take brake a bit earlier next time so the speed in turn will be less.

Philosophicly thinking, if setups were able to "cure" every car, wouldn't that make them feel exactly the same ?  Except for the hp amount, they would behave perfectly.  Why not buy a game that would contain only one "physics" with ten engines.  But I like them not being perfect at all.  I even miss the PnGv1.02 version of IROC, the slidy version.  It was very fun to drive when you get used to sliding around turns.

My target for the DutchDevils narrow Tourist is to break the 8 mins again.  So far I'm quite close with "Nordschleife Tourist 911RSR 0800847.vcr" (sorry no gtt from that).  With v1.02 I had it below 8, and even that slidy IROC was quite close to 8.  And the setup is almost default (gears changed, fuel changed).

One tip I actually have is to use as low steering angle as possible to make the car turn around needed turns.  If you have too fast steering, 911 will be all over the road.

If you want to practise DD Tourist with a gtt file, I have one "aSa - 9_00_146 - Elite.GTT" ready  :)

#3 ummagumma

ummagumma

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted Jun 02 2009 - 03:46 AM

yeah, those curbs drive me nuts....extremely annoying & unrealistic IMO....but I believe that is an issue with the track, not the cars? ie: the object is defined in the track file

I have seen footage of 911's drifting around Nords, so I am hoping there some setup tips out there that will get me closer to this

thx!!

#4 Tharnvi

Tharnvi

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted Jun 02 2009 - 10:48 AM

View Postummagumma, on May 31 2009, 10:03 AM, said:

at high speed, the front wanders, and often the car will start to fishtail like a pendulum when I correct....
Sounds like a true 911. I friend of mine had one and I remember that you should hold on to the steering wheel with a light grip, let it sort of wiggle from side to side and not try to keep it in place with any force. I apply that technique to my 911;s in P6G too and it seems to work out fine.
For setups I like them with a bit of over steer. I feel that if I have to provoke them to turn the snap over steer sooner or later catches me without a chance to recover. I mild, predictable over steer is easy and comfortable even if it may be a bit slower over a quick lap.

#5 JimM

JimM

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Jun 17 2009 - 06:43 PM

Yep, I drive a single oversteery setup everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links