• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hagapito40

hagapito40

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 08 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi! i have no experience with Setup Manager so excuse me if i am a little confused...

I was trying to change some setup parameters on the 66 Can Am cars with Setup manager 2.6.1
My problem is :
I have the mod, the chassis, Formula, Player(dedicated), and track selected(without any setup yet).

Then every time i switch Chassis only the drive train values change, the suspension part remains the same...

Also i have noted that the values showed on SM for the default setups are different from the showed by GPL garage.

Seems like SM allows higher values on suspension like wheel Rate 500 lbs/in but after saving the setup with the corresponding extension, GPL show different values on garage and ALL the setup is messed up, even the thing i have not touched!!

Can someone clarify the matter?
THK!

Diego

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,727 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 09 2017 - 09:54 AM

Hi Diego.

Firstly, to edit a setup using Setup Manager, you have to open the setup file first. If you're using the GEM front-end, then the currently selected setup is opened and loaded into SM when you click on the "Edit" button. If you start SM on its own, you need to go to the "File" menu, select "Open..." and locate the file you want to edit. Once it's loaded, you can then change whatever values you want, and then click on "File / Save" when you're done (or "File / Save As..." if you want to change the setup name).

If you want to start an editing session from the default setup for a car, the best way to do this is as follows:
1. Go to the GPL garage and make sure you select "default" for the car setup.
2. Use the "Save As" function in the garage to save that setup with a different name. (You can't change the GPL default settings file.)
3. Start up Setup Manager, and then use "File / Open" to open the file that you just saved.
4. You can then edit the settings and save them again.
5. When you go back to the GPL garage, select your setup name from the drop-down list, and you'll see your changes.

Secondly, if you edit a setup so that it has extreme values in any of the settings, then GPL itself can get confused when you view the edited setup in the garage. This can lead to the entire setup page appearing to be corrupted, as you have found. Different GPL mods can use different ranges of values for the various settings, so what is a valid value for one mod may not work properly with another. The general rule is to keep your adjustments within sensible limits, and don't use any extreme values.

It may have been possible for Lee (the author) to have set limits in SM for each car, so that it was impossible for the user to enter invalid settings. However, this would mean that Lee would have had to research every car from every mod to find out what the limits were, and then program them into SM. That would have been a very long and boring task!

I hope these tips help you. Please feel free to ask more questions if you need further help or clarification. :thumbup:

Edited by Saiph, Aug 09 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#3 hagapito40

hagapito40

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Classic Racing History, Modeling in 3ds Max and of course RACING!

Posted Aug 12 2017 - 09:04 AM

Thnks for your reply Saiph!
You are right! the problem was, that i thought that SM open by default the "default setup" located on GPL but instead, just open a generic setup on the SM folder, that was my confusion!
:wave:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links