Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 26 2019 - 04:08 PM

Hi lads,

it's quite sometime (more than a year I believe) since this new option has been included in the Nvidia drivers, but it is only visible through Nvidia Profile Inspector. Basically, when selected, it allows you to choose from a plethora of different OpenGL versions, based on which one are available on your system (which, again, depends on the Nvidia drivers you currently have installed). I have always wondered if it could affect GPL anyhow and its performance, fps wise. Has anyone here ever been experimenting with it?

Attached File  NVIDIA Profile Inspector 2.3.0.2.png   28.49K   47 downloads

Edited by leon_90, Mar 26 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#2 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 09:45 AM

I will be following this thread with great interest.I have a pretty capable rig. I use open GL exclusively and I have finally got most, if not all of my GPL installations exactly like I want them... historically accurate, gorgeous to drive and look at .... only to discover recently that my installs of LeMans Sarthe, LeMans Bugatti and a few others can't display the correct roadway centerlines if I use any level of Antialiasing Transparency Super Sampling. Solitude has the appearance of driving on LSD.  I have transferred and tried settings and suggested settings from numerous threads not the least of which was Stephans settings as late as August 2018 found here at number 46 .....

http://srmz.net/inde...=solitude&st=40

Here is a link to an OpenGl viewer Utility .... http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

And here is info from Nvidea on the current version ... https://developer.nv...m/opengl-driver

Those particular settings gave me unusable frame rates.... to get great appearance and good frame rates I need 4x antialiasing and 4x supersample on the transparency. I was going to start a separate thread soliciting alternate pavement mips for the tracks that have this problem, but this thread of yours Leon may lead to a solution.....

Attached File  GPL467 2019-03-27 11-50-55-46.jpg   119.62K   59 downloadsAttached File  GPL467 2019-03-27 11-51-30-54.jpg   107.89K   63 downloadsAttached File  GPL467 2019-03-27 11-52-05-08.jpg   106.86K   58 downloadsAttached File  gplxsc 2019-03-27 11-49-12-84.jpg   101.62K   54 downloads

Edited by Ramoats, Mar 27 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 10:13 AM

I've never found super sampling to do anything in GPL. Have you tried it with it turned off?

#4 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 10:54 AM

@leon:
I haven`t experimented with different OpenGL versions yet. I will have a look on my system if there is any change.
Have you done any tests yet?

@Ramoats:
Could you please post a screenshot of your graphics settings (driver settings and also of GPL/ GEM+)?
Are you using an Nvidia or an AMD (Raedon) graphics card?

I will test on my system regarding your problem with Antialiasing Transparency Super Sampling that you also described here with Solitude
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12820

#5 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 11:23 AM

Here you are gentlemen ...... I appreciate your help on this ...

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   146.73K   27 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-2.jpg   112.58K   35 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-3.jpg   196.44K   35 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-4.jpg   210.16K   37 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-5.jpg   71.77K   36 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-6.jpg   212.31K   32 downloadsAttached File  Untitled-7.jpg   221.24K   28 downloads

#6 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 11:38 AM

Here is an example at solitude.. it even effects track side banners ...

Attached File  gplc67 2019-03-27 13-36-07-20.jpg   108.47K   61 downloadsAttached File  gplc67 2019-03-27 13-36-26-00.jpg   112.77K   69 downloadsAttached File  gplc67 2019-03-27 13-36-47-07.jpg   102.01K   56 downloads

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 12:12 PM

I had the same with NV card 960, with AMD RX580 all is fine...

Attached Files

#8 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 12:21 PM

Pete Gaimari
I've never found super sampling to do anything in GPL. Have you tried it with it turned off?

Yes.. the problem disappears using sparsegrid ss or multi sampling for Antialiasing Transparency however image quality suffers. Additionally, I just tested every track in the 67 GT Ver two season... the only two tracks effected in that particular install are LeMans Sarthe and Norisring .. all others display fine...

Edited by Ramoats, Mar 27 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#9 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,483 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s

Posted Mar 27 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Mar 27 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

@leon:
I haven`t experimented with different OpenGL versions yet. I will have a look on my system if there is any change.
Have you done any tests yet?

Not yet mate

#10 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,204 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Mar 28 2019 - 02:40 AM

Thx for the screenshots Ramoats and Axel.

Axel, so it seems like the problem is only with Nvidia cards on some tracks.
I think I remember that I also had disorted graphics at Solitude while other tracks are fine with my NV.

I will try to find time to do some testing this weekend.
There has to be a setting that solves that problem on these few tracks with Nvidia cards.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Mar 28 2019 - 02:41 AM.

#11 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 28 2019 - 04:46 AM

To shed a little light on Leon's original question, I've always used OpenGL for running GPL (I tried Direct3D but IMO the OpenGL graphics look smoother), and I've never bothered selecting any particular version of OpenGL. I assume that the drivers default to using the latest available. I've never had any problems.

#12 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 319 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Apr 03 2019 - 05:40 AM

I wonder if this might be a way to get my gtx 1050ti to quit dropping the frame rate whenever someone joins or disconnects from a race server? Those stutters rendered the video card useless for online racing.

I'd try playing with it but I'm sick and tired of fooling with hardware and settings to drive GPL.

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,380 posts

Posted Apr 03 2019 - 10:37 AM

I get the same frame rate drop with in-game, in-car text. I'm pretty sure that I 've narrowed it down to a problem with the graphics card or OpenGL not being able to process that particular font.

See the thread at http://srmz.net/inde...c=12210&hl=font but I think that you've been there Greg.

I can't remember if I used the Digital Display Monitor utility or the other suggestions to reduce the fonts as small as possible. But although it's hard to read, the frame rate reduction is much less dramatic in online races.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links