80 replies to this topic

#31 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 11:27 AM

View PostMECH, on Oct 12 2010 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 11 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

I attached my muarasama 3do.

Yes, I use the "full65" carset, with 65 patch.
To make this sure, I renamed the light carset to "_lite65", so GPL can`t read it.

This is pretty strange  :confused:

I see no problems with the murasama either.
Your not driving an online race were the server isn't fixed yet?

I'm quite positive that what i fixed is causing the steering mapping problem.

I've uploaded my brabham of the full65 car set, see if that fixes it.
I'll remove the car again once you have dl'ed it.

I don't think that the server has to be fixed does it? The graphics is local to the player, only the number of the car gets chosen by the server and that shouldn't be the issue here is it?

Rob

#32 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 11:29 AM

New zip uploaded in first post, it now contains the subfolders with main car 3do's in them as well.
This way applying one of the options shouldn't introduce the error again :)

#33 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Oct 12 2010 - 11:33 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Oct 12 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

I don't think that the server has to be fixed does it? The graphics is local to the player, only the number of the car gets chosen by the server and that shouldn't be the issue here is it?

Rob

Could be but i'm not sure in what way it might interfere with the mip mapping of a car.
It's very strange that he still has this problem. I had the problem first with the Caterhams and only with the brabham slot (but it happened every time i loaded up the brabham slot) And those were based on the 65's. After i fixed the cars i never had the problem again. So maybe there's something else that's causing it :think:

Edited by MECH, Oct 12 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#34 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 03:13 AM

Yes, it is odd.

I don't see how the server can be sending information which affects the mapping though, so it must be something locally within the carset install. There couldn't be some sort of reused mip name in there which is conflicting in some way? I did this to a TSO on one of my tracks once by mistake as it used a name that was previously used by one of the carsets (which seems to take precedence over the track folder mip of the same name). I spotted what the "wrong" texture I was looking at was and guessed what had happened and so remade my 3do with different names.

Rob

EDIT: Here is a thought, GPL doesn't do something infinitely clever and automatically load the default cars67 folder as well as the car folder you are using does it? I was wondering if the loading of cars67 was hardcoded somewhere else so got loaded first, before the folder for the mod in use.

Edited by Border Reiver, Oct 13 2010 - 03:19 AM.

#35 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 03:24 AM

View PostMECH, on Oct 12 2010 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 11 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

I attached my muarasama 3do.

Yes, I use the "full65" carset, with 65 patch.
To make this sure, I renamed the light carset to "_lite65", so GPL can`t read it.

I've uploaded my brabham of the full65 car set, see if that fixes it.
I'll remove the car again once you have dl'ed it.

Thx Martin, I have downloaded the file, so you can delete it.
I will test it in the next days.

Btw, I do not only get a helmet mip as wrong mip, I also had once a bush or a tree mip (don`t know what it was exactly) instead of my wheel mip.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 13 2010 - 03:24 AM.

#36 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Oct 13 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

Yes, it is odd.

I don't see how the server can be sending information which affects the mapping though, so it must be something locally within the carset install. There couldn't be some sort of reused mip name in there which is conflicting in some way? I did this to a TSO on one of my tracks once by mistake as it used a name that was previously used by one of the carsets (which seems to take precedence over the track folder mip of the same name). I spotted what the "wrong" texture I was looking at was and guessed what had happened and so remade my 3do with different names.

Yes, i doubt that the server has an effect. I already had a brief look at the mipmapping of the brabham and couldn't find a glitch yet.
I was wondering if a wrong mapped mip in an ai or driver 3do would cause this problem stefan has. Make mental note: check the driver 3do as well, could be the problem area :)

View PostBorder Reiver, on Oct 13 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

EDIT: Here is a thought, GPL doesn't do something infinitely clever and automatically load the default cars67 folder as well as the car folder you are using does it? I was wondering if the loading of cars67 was hardcoded somewhere else so got loaded first, before the folder for the mod in use.

Well, i have noticed that you can put wrong sub 3do's in the tire node without causing a could not load. As long as the tire 3do's are referenced in the car and present in the folder GPL still load's and even displays the tire properly (which is what was happening with the caterhams and also 65's. The side effect was that the steering wheel got a faulty mip) So this must be hardcoded in gpl.

But GEM rewrites all car folder strings in the gpl.exe to use the one for the mod. Maybe there's still some code in gpl that isn't overwritten in GEM?

What i also noticed is that if a mip is missing for a sub 3do it won't crash but loads the 1st mip in the string table of that sub 3do (or in memory, not sure which one it is as stefan mentions it isn't always the helmet.mip) Maybe this feature is what is happening in stefan's install :think:

Edited by MECH, Oct 13 2010 - 04:59 AM.

#37 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 06:08 AM

Yes, I think I read somewhere that there are maybe other references that GEM does not overwrite, and so it is possible that GPL sees both the cars67 and any other car folder called by the mod exe. Depending on the priority (which it sees first) it might be that the helmet mip is coming from an updated cars67 folder which has got 3d helmets?

Rob

#38 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,838 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 06:29 AM

I guess this had been mentioned before. But I only get the wrong mip, when I do an online race.
When I first get in the car on the server I can have the right mip. When I exit the track (staying on the server) and do e.g. a change to the fuel load and get on the track again, the wrong mip is there. But this does not happen always.
Could it be that this problem appears, when more drivers (full grid), or more Brabhams are joining the server?

I hope these infos are of any value. :)

#39 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 07:07 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 13 2010 - 06:29 AM, said:

I guess this had been mentioned before. But I only get the wrong mip, when I do an online race.
When I first get in the car on the server I can have the right mip. When I exit the track (staying on the server) and do e.g. a change to the fuel load and get on the track again, the wrong mip is there. But this does not happen always.
Could it be that this problem appears, when more drivers (full grid), or more Brabhams are joining the server?

I hope these infos are of any value. :)

The fact it is only online is no big surprise. Offline you always drive the default player car number and that car is obviously calling the correct files. Online you get one of the other numbered cars according to which the server gives you to use. Offline is also much easier as there are only the possible player cars plus the fixed AI to worry about, whereas for online there are every possible number of car for every possible slot, so a whole lot more files come into play.

That it starts correct and then goes wrong on exiting the car and then going back to the car is more interesting.

I have seen something similar with joining orders where initially if someone is out on track and then someone else joins the server and goes on track, the first guy will see the second guy in the wrong coloured or even default car skin. Once the first guy exits and then rejoins with his car, he will then see the other cars as being their correct colours. (John and I saw this when testing Caterhams where I joined after him and he said there was a fault in the carset as he saw me with the error detecting "default skin", but then we both exited our cars and then went to the pits and now both cars had the correct colours).

It is an odd problem and because it does not always happen it is hard to test if fixes work because you cannot always make it happen and so you also cannot know if the changes you make correct things or if this time is just one of the times when it works anyway.

Rob

#40 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 11:34 AM

I have the same experiences as Stefan. The problem is only online and can sometimes occur immediately but at other times only after leaving and re-entering the track. I have even left the server, deleted the gpl65.exe, allowed GEM to rebuild the exe, rejoined the server, gone on track and observed the error to be corrected only for the problem to re-appear when going to grid for the race!!!

#41 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 11:43 AM

In that case it might be elsewhere within the carset maybe? Perhaps with one of the other online car 3dos that gets called? The first time you go on track it seems it can be different to what happens on returning to the pits and then going back to track in terms of how cars are displayed. Since it is variable if the problem happens or not it maybe also depends if a certain car gets used, e.g. if there happens to be say a #13 Brabham assigned then you have trouble in that race, if #13 is say a Ferrari then all is fine? No real idea here, just floating some ideas, or places to try looking for anomalies.

EDIT: Yes, leaving and rejoining the server wouldn't fix it as the server remembers you and will give you back the same car number, which I think is maybe part of the problem. I think you would have to change cars to get assigned a different number and then perhaps change back again after that, but the downside is that you would lose your previous qually times once you get given the new race number.

Here is a thought, although not a brilliant one, but, nonetheless might give us some data or show a pattern. As it is an intermittent fault it is hard to just make it happen, so, whenever this problem does next happen can you write down the car numbers and car types assigned to those by the server? Also note which car number was the one that you were given. E.g. #20 Lotus, #18 Honda, #6 Ferrari, #13 Brabham (my car) etc. etc. If we can get notes like this it might help to figure out what is causing it, or show up some sort of pattern.

Another question, if you save a replay when this does happen and then look at the replay later, does the steering wheel show correctly in the replay or is it faulty? Likewise, in a race where your wheel goes faulty, if you look on the live replay system while in the pits, does the wheel look wrong in cockpit view there and also do any other Brabhams also running look normal or faulty in replay/live view?

I think that getting some notes on this might help spot a pattern and hopefully then find a lasting fix. I don't think it is the sort of fault that we can force to happen, but when it does if we can get some notes on this sort of stuff we might find the answer.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Oct 13 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#42 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 11:50 AM

Interesting question should be if it only happens with the latest GPL65 as I can't recall ever having this problem in the past. Maybe I just had luck :)

#43 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:00 PM

Another interesting question is if it is rasteriser dependent as well? I have always run the D3D v1 rasteriser and I have never seen this problem myself with either original or patched 65 mod. I am pretty sure that this was around since the original 65 mod though as the patching did not change the carset.

Rob

#44 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Oct 13 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm beginning to think this is indeed a driver 3do with false mip mapping.
Should just be a matter of checking the driver 3do string listings to see if there's an odd one between them.

It wouldn't explain the caterham problem though because that was just a copy of the brad.3do which was mapped fine.
But it might be a combined problem and i probably only fixed just one of them :)

Edit: i just ran 3dostrn and compared all ai 3do's in excell (see att.):
I see a gar17a.3do and a sif16a.3do which have 1 entry too much but nothing indicating that it might cause trouble though. Theres a gur8a hi.3do with less entries but not used..

Attached Files

#45 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,838 posts

Posted Oct 28 2010 - 05:25 PM

Attached screenshots are taken during an online test race at Thruxton.
All three Brabhams BT11 have the wheel bug.
You can also see the bug in the replay (attached), but then a different mip texture (I guess it is a grey helmet texture) is used (this might be because it is offline).

I hope this is of any help.

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 28 2010 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links