• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:GPL, radio control airplanes, computers, politics, movies, cooking.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 10:50 AM

Howdy boys! Haven't run GPL since July. That's when the cheapo pedal set for my Thrustmaster wheel broke for the second time. My new wheel and pedals arrived yesterday. Thrustmaster TX RW  Leather edition with T3PA pedal set. That installed into windows 10 without problem. Load GPL and everything is fine until I try to get into the car in any mod. This always results in a CTD. I've tried using it with just a keyboard and get the same result. I deleted the GPLc67.exe and let GEM build a new one with no luck. I'm hoping someone might have an answer before I uninstall/reinstall GPL. Thanks guys

Percy

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 11:33 AM

Might be because of some update to Windows or your antivirus software.
That's what has happend to me in the past at least.

Have you add the gpl**.exe's as exclusions to your firewall and AV?

Edited by Millennium, Sep 01 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#3 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 12:37 PM

View PostMillennium, on Sep 01 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

Might be because of some update to Windows or your antivirus software.
That's what has happend to me in the past at least.

Have you add the gpl**.exe's as exclusions to your firewall and AV?

Yeah, I've excluded all the security software already. I was wondering myself if it might be due to some windows 10 update.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 12:47 PM

Are the executables also added to the DEP list in Windows?

#5 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostMillennium, on Sep 01 2020 - 12:47 PM, said:

Are the executables also added to the DEP list in Windows?

In all the years I've run GPL (since 98-99) I've never done that and never experienced a problem as a result.

#6 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,102 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 03:46 PM

Check your installed programs for something like "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010";  if there isn't one, download and install the DX9.0c Redistributable from MS (or numerous other sites).  This is required for some older games, and I've heard Win10 may remove it during updates (on the theory DX12 is fully backwards compatible ...but not all older software is forward compatible).

There is a small chance the install will throw an error part way through;  if so, note the message and search online, the fix is simple.  This seems system dependent, I had to do it for Win7 but not Vista.

#7 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 05:24 PM

View Postjgf, on Sep 01 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

Check your installed programs for something like "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010";  if there isn't one, download and install the DX9.0c Redistributable from MS (or numerous other sites).  This is required for some older games, and I've heard Win10 may remove it during updates (on the theory DX12 is fully backwards compatible ...but not all older software is forward compatible).

There is a small chance the install will throw an error part way through;  if so, note the message and search online, the fix is simple.  This seems system dependent, I had to do it for Win7 but not Vista.

Downloaded and installed. Did not help. I've also reinstalled GPL and am still experiencing the same problem. When I try to get into the car the lower right 1/4 of the screen gets darker, then the ctd happens and I'm left with a small Sierra Sports window in the upper left corner of the desktop. Kinda like the closing window of the game. Also an error message from windows saying something went wrong. Gotta be an answer.

#8 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 01:21 AM

Sounds like a graphics issue;  vid drivers, driver settings, or even an incompatible game setting.

It's possible DEP suddenly decided all the exe editing/creation was malware and blocked it (particularly if there was a Win10 update since you last ran the game);  temporarily disable DEP and see.

When you reinstalled did you try the default exe, before any patches or mods?

#9 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 06:09 AM

I turned off DEP and GPL now works as it should! There really is a first time for everything. now I just have set it up to exclude GPL. Thank you gentlemen for all your help. Much appreciated!

Percy

#10 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 06:42 AM

Hopefully DEP in Win10 is more amenable to whitelisting programs than it was in Vista.  Back then DEP considered any attempt to remove the block on a program to also be the work of malware, so you encountered a "Catch-22" - you could only whitelist a program that had not been blocked, but you wouldn't know it needed whitelisting until it had been blocked.  To remove a block entailed the ordeal of editing Vista permissions to gain access to hidden areas of the registry, carefully editing several lines for each blocked exe, restart windows, and whitelisting the exes before running them again.  Removing and reinstalling the programs does nothing, DEP retains everything.  (I found all this quite onerous so have just disabled DEP since then.)

#11 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 07:55 AM

View Postjgf, on Sep 02 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

Hopefully DEP in Win10 is more amenable to whitelisting programs than it was in Vista.  Back then DEP considered any attempt to remove the block on a program to also be the work of malware, so you encountered a "Catch-22" - you could only whitelist a program that had not been blocked, but you wouldn't know it needed whitelisting until it had been blocked.  To remove a block entailed the ordeal of editing Vista permissions to gain access to hidden areas of the registry, carefully editing several lines for each blocked exe, restart windows, and whitelisting the exes before running them again.  Removing and reinstalling the programs does nothing, DEP retains everything.  (I found all this quite onerous so have just disabled DEP since then.)

Ill keep that in mind, thank you.

Percy

#12 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted Sep 03 2020 - 02:53 PM

When I moved to W10 in the beginning of this year I also did not need to add GPL to DEP, but after I few days the game would not launch again.
On W7 it would never work unless I added GPL to the DEP list anyway, so I think it's best to always do that even when it seems to be working fine.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 03 2020 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links