7 replies to this topic

#1 kennoe

kennoe

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted Aug 08 2018 - 11:09 PM

So, at home having a day off work with a heavy cold and have decided to do a complete reinstall of GPL. There is probably little wrong with my current install, but the oldest files are probably 15 years old and it is now over 19GB (with another 3GB stored elsewhere). It has started to do some funny things, similar to other posters, as my computer has been progressively upgraded (now Win10, i5 7500 CPU, AMD 7800, 16GB RAM).

I backed up the old install first (twice in fact) in case something goes wrong and deleted completely the old install. My approach is to bring nothing over from the old install. I am using the current GPLPS Installer (1.08).  I have tested the installation so far, running a few laps of Watkins Glen in a Lotus 49 at 36fps. So far, so good! I am now slowly working my way through the raft of mods and patches, particularly those recommended in Stefan's Easy Installation Guide. A few problems with my wheel (Logitech Momo, also getting up to 15 years old), but these are probably to do with the wheel's software, not GPL,and should be resolvable.

I don't really expect any issues but any words of advice would be appreciated.

Steve

#2 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 09 2018 - 02:43 AM

Hello Steve

Nice to hear that my http://www.gplworld....tion-guide.html helps. :)

It is difficult to give words of advise as long as you do not have any problems. ;)

Make sure you use the latest version of all GPL mods (+ updates/ patches) and also the latest drivers for your wheel (of the Logitech website) and graphics card (btw which one are you using?). And also check the GPL Track Database and SRMZ if there are updates available for tracks that you most likely haven`t downloaded yet.

I also wouldn`t use old files of your backup, except your setups.

Good luck and if, contrary to your expectations, problems should arise, do not hesitate to ask for help.

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Aug 09 2018 - 02:46 AM.

#3 kennoe

kennoe

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted Aug 10 2018 - 04:08 AM

First update. So far I have installed the 65, 66, 67 (original from my GPL CD), 69 and 69X. All tested and working, but there are a few tracks to be installed to complete the seasons. Slight heart flutter when the 69 mods kept crashing back to GEM when attempting to go to the track. Finally figured that I had v2 of the 60fps patch ticked in GEM, which is incompatible with these mods. All good when I went back to v1. Next mods will be the GT and CamAms this weekend. I do not play these often but are always an interesting diversion from the open wheelers. After this the F2, 55 and TC mods. I will leave the 67 Historic Mod to last as this is the most complicated. I don't think I had it quite right in the old install, so I will going pretty slowly for this one and consulting all the threads about it on SMZ.

I was expecting some problems with apps like Pribluda, which in the old install was pretty well unreadable using Open GL with W10. It is clear and legible. The wheel issues have been resolved by installing the not latest version of Logitech software. Only force feedback, currently non-existent, has to be addressed. I will look for all the advice that is available on the forums for help on this one.

Steve

#4 JohannDaart

JohannDaart

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Muay Thai
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 10 2018 - 06:28 AM

Update original 11 67 tracks with updates you like, pack them with 7zip and upload them to cloud, so you will never have to do that updating again.

#5 lt1

lt1

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Aug 11 2018 - 03:20 PM

No particular advice, but I'm reinstalling GPL after a long absence.  Lost most of my old files, so I had to start mostly from scratch.  It's been fun.

#6 kennoe

kennoe

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted Aug 11 2018 - 10:08 PM

Well, thing were going along swimmingly until now. Norton has decided to regard the exe files as a threat and keeps deleting them. Never done this before so came as a bit of a shock. Solved by excluding my Sierra folder from scanning. Might come back and bite me in the future, but given I have never come across a virus in any of the GPL associated files I have downloaded in the past 15 years, the risk is negligible.

The F2, CanAm 66, CanAm71 and GT mods are up and running. The 55, 68, Thundercars, 64 Tasman, 67 Historical and Anniversary mods will be next and I will call it a day as far as mods are concerned. I still need to trawl my list of downloads for any updates that can be installed to the mods.

Sierra folder already 11GB.

Steve

#7 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Aug 13 2018 - 12:47 AM

My Sierra folder is 35.9 GB lol. I guess all those mods,tracks,add ons and updates can really add up .

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,504 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Aug 13 2018 - 02:02 PM

I do a reinstall about 10 times a year with no problems. If I try a mod and then decide to not use it anymore i'll do a reinstall. I just delete the contents of the GPL folder and copy/paste my saved GPL folder. Which has everything installed for just running the 67 F1 cars. It's what I use 95% of the time but I do try other stuff now and then. I know no matter what gets messed up I can always go back to my saved install. 10 min and it's reinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links