- - - - -

Moving From Windows 7 To Windows 10, Which Updates Should I Avoid For Gpl?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 29 2019 - 10:36 AM

@Daniel

If it runs ok with W7 it should be the same in W10

just check:

- intel speed step disabled (GEM+)
- latest NV driver  (441.41)
- PCI-E 3 enabled (GPU-Z)

Edited by Cookie, Nov 29 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#42 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Nov 29 2019 - 04:38 PM

Chatting with my friend last night. He as a desktop with multiple drives.
He as both sata and SSD drives. On the lone SSD drive is all his game installs. On his sata separate drives is his OS. He states that makes his games run faster.

Is that normal and should you do that anyway 🤔 Is there a big advantage doing this 🤔

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Nov 29 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#43 Daniel0099

Daniel0099

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Racing sim, music

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 10:15 AM

@cookie

I tried these also but no joy.
Same hardware, same settings,  and Win10 is slower than Win7 beside the fact that it still gives problems to many when there is an update (not only GPL).

#44 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 11:50 AM

t's not Win10 it's your system. I have no problem with 60 fps with Win10 as i'm sure most everybody does here.

Assetto Corsa is 250 fps.

DCS is 150fps

Both are a bigger load than GPL.

#45 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 01:16 PM

twinpotter, on Nov 29 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Chatting with my friend last night. He as a desktop with multiple drives.
He as both sata and SSD drives. On the lone SSD drive is all his game installs. On his sata separate drives is his OS. He states that makes his games run faster.

Is that normal and should you do that anyway 🤔 Is there a big advantage doing this 🤔

TP:

As I was running out of hard disc space some months ago I have bought an internal SSD drive.
On the SSD (2 TB) I have partitions for WINDOWS 10, GAMES and DATA. My two old SATA drives (2 x 500 GB) I do now only use as a backup or to store not so important things. That means that Windows does rarely need to access the slower SATA drives anymore.

Having WINDOWS 10 on the fast SSD drive makes a big difference in the booting time of Windows 10 (also programs load faster, and so on). I really didn`t expect that it makes such a big difference. Now Windows 10 boots within some seconds, before it has taken minutes. And it is the same old Windows 10 installation (that I updated from Windows 7 years ago) that I had mirrored to the SSD, it is not a fresh Windows 10 installation.

It also has a positive effect on having your games on the SSD.
Regarding GPL I also think it is "faster".

This German forum moderator sums it up pretty well.
https://extreme.pcga...e-sinnvoll.html
English translation:

SSD - Also useful for games

It's actually quite simple: Watch the hard disk light on your PC while working under Windows, or while playing games. For example, whenever something jolts in the game and at the same time this light lights up/flickers, this usually means that data is being read from the hard drive, but it is not fast enough. It comes to "reloading jerks", the game jerks because of the hard disk. Here an SSD can very often remove most of the jerkers, or at least weaken them significantly. Depending on the game, if e.g. data is constantly loaded from the disk, this can make a big difference. For games that don't load/not load at all, there's no/lesser difference.

In addition there is the size of the RAM. Accordingly, computers with less RAM load more often from the hard disk than computers with more RAM. Be it the data from the application/game itself, or data that Windows has stored in the swap file because of the low RAM, and reloads from there.

So it depends on the individual case, which PC you have and which software you use, whether you feel an SSD in the system strongly or rather less. As a rule, however, Windows reacts much better and runs more smoothly if it is installed on an SSD. Here an SSD with e.g. 60GB makes almost always sense. At the current prices, a 120GB SSD can also be used without any problems, and a few games/programs can also fit on it. You have to decide for yourself what you need or don't need, also with a view to your budget. Some prefer to have 20 games installed on the SSD at the same time (= large SSD), others prefer to play one game after the other (= small SSD).

Under Windows an SSD is noticeable by the fact that everything runs a little more fluently, windows open faster, programs react faster etc. In addition to the less frequent reloaders mentioned above, games also have faster loading times, e.g. if you go from one level/area to the next and a loading screen appears. This is also often much faster.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

#46 Daniel0099

Daniel0099

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Racing sim, music

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 01:43 PM

@Pete
I explained that this is the same GPU, same CPU, same other hardware, same GPL, etc . In both cases the only difference is win10 vs win7. Obviously if I change hardware or software above the OS, that won't be a fair comparison.
GPL is hard on frame rate compared to newer games. So if you run on the limit then you'll see a difference between both OS.
When the only thing you change is W10 vs W7, then obviously it's what you've changed that is affecting the performance.
If I run GPL on one monitor at lower resolution, I won't see that W10 is not performing.

If I buy a faster Graphics card then it will run my 3 monitors but the fact remains that W10 performs less than W7.
If you compare a Ferrari with a Lada where you have to follow the speed limit of 50MPH then you don't need to buy a Ferrari. But on a racetrack it's different.

#47 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 01:50 PM

the only flaw in your logic is that youre the only one to have that problem

#48 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 02:01 PM

Ok, Daniel. I guess we could say we agree. If you had more system you'd be able to run Win10. As is, you're better off with Win7.

However, i'm not sure GPL is harder on a system than DCS. That sim can bring a system to it's knees without breathing hard. :)

I agree about using an SSD drive instead of a HD. I have everything on one and got a good increase in performance.

#49 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 02:54 PM

I still think it's a cpu power saving mode issue, but I thought that's controlled by the bios and not the os.

I build my W10 system yesterday and I now have two m.2 ssd's for storag and OS. No sata ssd's or hdd's at all. Makes cable management and keeping things quiet easier.
Have not tried GPL yet though, still have a lot of software tweaks to do. W10 sure is very user friendly though, maybe a bit too much.

Edited by Millennium, Nov 30 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#50 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 30 2019 - 05:16 PM

Yes the CPU power saving is implemented in the bios, but it can be paused or tweaked by the OS.

GEM+ "Disable intel Speedstep" prevents the CPU to fall asleep as long as any GPLxx.exe is running.

Our problem is having much power and GPL is not recognized as a 3D app, so we have to push the CPU + GPU manually...

#51 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 01 2019 - 05:07 AM

Indeed, I also use 8 x super sampling on my gpu, otherwise it would sometimes also go into a power saving state when switching between ingame graphics and the 640x480 menu.

Just tried GPL on my W10 system but everything seems to be working straight away. Didn't even had to add each gpl**.exe to DEP, which was something that I had to do on W7.  
Also runs quite well on the Intel HD graphics so that's nice. (AMD gpu will still be in my W7 machine untill january next year.)

Edited by Millennium, Dec 01 2019 - 05:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links