8 replies to this topic

#1 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 07:38 AM

How hard you brake rather than how long you brake is determinative of red brakes?  If so brake early and use engine braking by downshifting early 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd rather than waiting to shift directly to 2nd?  Also setup car for entry oversteer to scrub off the last bit of speed?

Silverstone seems the worst for managing brakes, several long high speed  straights followed by second gear corners per lap.  Compared to Spa which has only one hard braking per lap, La Source.

Anybody wish to share ideas on brake management?
Sam

Edited by samuelw, May 11 2017 - 07:39 AM.

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 11 2017 - 07:50 AM

He says it all:

Attached Files

#3 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'm a hack driver especially in GPL where I especially suck.  With that said I it seems to me, in GPL anyway, even a short duration of hard braking lights the brakes up red whereas light braking over a longer distance slows down about as quickly but doesn't heat the brakes as much.  (Possible to finish lap in the green.)  Anyway that's what I think happened in several races at Silverstone.  OTOH did I mention I'm way slow.  Interested to hear other experiences.
Sam

#4 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted May 11 2017 - 11:12 AM

After 14 years of GPL, in 1955 mod I still feel like a newbie...

Monaco 55 race tonight and all I feel is pure panic :D

#5 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 11:16 AM

`Greg, I'm not ignoring your answer, but sometimes GPL is its own reality.  Do you know how its coded to behave?
Sam

#6 Schumi-slot

Schumi-slot

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 11:16 AM

I improved a lot by doing what Piero taruffi said in his book (See Post #2 by Greg). Lift the throttle a bit earlier than what you would do without fading and let the car slow down at the very first moment only by wind resistance. Yesterday I was testing at Silverstone, and I remember I was hitting 220Km/h in the hangar straight, then, release the throttle for a second and a half or even two secs (In that moment, drag caused by air is the highest) and then push the brakes a bit, then change to 4th (Or 3rd if it's a Gordini) lifting the brake pedal while the engine does it's job, change to 3rd and 2d with the same procedure. It worked pretty well for me

#7 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted May 11 2017 - 08:39 PM

I'm also braking the same way. I didn't read that before... but found exactly the same "procedure", which makes me happy :)

Marcos

#8 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 11 2017 - 08:58 PM

:thumbup:

#9 samuelw

samuelw

Jack Brabham

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted May 12 2017 - 07:16 AM

Just finished 17 lap race against 19 ai at Silverstone, finishing 8th after starting at back.  Grand Prix level with laps reduced to 17 in Gem.   Much more difficult to manage brakes when racing for position.  Tried (tried) incorporating suggestions here and mostly had brakes for next corner.  Thanks to all who replied.
Sam

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links