#1 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 03:55 PM

This bugged me for some time now as you may be aware GPL cars come with functioning oil pressure gages. Seemingly linked to RPMs as one can clearly see the pressure dropping when the revs drop very low.

My question now is this just cosmetic or does the oil pressure play a part in the simulation?

#2 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,923 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 04:15 PM

Oil pressure is a real function in GPL. What you are seeing is the effects of a mechanical oil pressure pump... still almost the only type used today.  So, when engine revs are very low the oil circulation pressure is also low.  If the GPL engine gets damage, you may see a drop in max oil pressure with engine failure to follow.

For your info:
https://en.wikipedia...mbustion_engine)

Edited by gliebzeit, Mar 10 2018 - 04:18 PM.

#3 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 10 2018 - 06:37 PM

I'm aware what oil pressure or lack thereof does to an engine. Since all the engines I've destroyed over the years have been quick failures without much warning, I'm wondering if the oil pressure has any impact on engine life in GPL. Could be planned feature that wasn't implemented or that there is an effect that just doesn't come into effect that often. I've also never seen much of ancillary failures, given how much mileage I have in the Eagle, is highly unlikely if were implemented.

#4 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,923 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 06:12 AM

I believe that when the oil pressure gauge (in GPL) shows lower than max after running for a while .... that is a symptom of a random 'breakdown setting' causing engine damage.  If it is a high percentage of a "chance_oil_leak ", "chance_engine_problem" or "chance_engine_failure" then you may see the oil pressure gauge needle drop down from its max reading.

I have seen this effect.

chance_brake_failure = 15.000000
chance_brake_problem = 15.000000
chance_coolant_leak = 15.000000
chance_engine_failure = 15.000000
chance_engine_problem = 15.000000
chance_fuel_leak = 15.000000
chance_fuel_system_failure = 15.000000
chance_fuel_system_problem = 15.000000
chance_oil_leak = 15.000000
chance_suspension_failure = 15.000000
chance_suspension_problem = 15.000000
chance_tire_failure = 15.000000
chance_tire_problem = 15.000000

#5 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 06:49 AM

Is that for the Player too? I almost never get breakdowns on my own car and it bugs the hell out of me.

#6 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,923 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 07:24 AM

Jonny, the durability of the engine and other Player Car functions are set in the physics of each individual Mod.  These are fixed percentage setting given to each individual car slot by the Mod Team.

My previous post lists the breakdown percentage of the various parameters for the AI driver/cars, only, within the driver.ini (or mod-dependent version).  The 'global' parameters are in the gplAI.ini file (or mod-dependent version).

Edited by gliebzeit, Mar 11 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#7 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 07:53 AM

Hi Greg,

I understand that, but have never noticed my own oil pressure fluctuate. Maybe I need to look closer!

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,470 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostJonnyA, on Mar 11 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Is that for the Player too? I almost never get breakdowns on my own car and it bugs the hell out of me.

Do you run in pro mode?

#9 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 08:15 AM

Car breakdowns happen very rarely if you do not abuse the car too much, espeically on shifts. But they do happen. I once had a wheel come off for no apperant reason, also I've had some cases where my engine let go or started smoking when not shifting. This is amplified on bumpy tracks, which there are not a lot of in GPL, and it is my theory it is amplified even more with the 60 fps patch. I remember one UKGPL online race at the very bumpy Sebring track where more than half the field retired because of mechanical trouble. In my case my engine simply let go when I was whizzing around at top speed on the back straight. It's possible the oil temperature rises from overrevving from skipping over the bumps, and that increases the chance of an engine failure of any sort.

#10 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 08:43 AM

Pete: Yes, I run long races, the next option up from full GPs.

#11 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,470 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostTvO, on Mar 11 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Car breakdowns happen very rarely if you do not abuse the car too much, espeically on shifts. But they do happen. I once had a wheel come off for no apperant reason, also I've had some cases where my engine let go or started smoking when not shifting. This is amplified on bumpy tracks, which there are not a lot of in GPL, and it is my theory it is amplified even more with the 60 fps patch. I remember one UKGPL online race at the very bumpy Sebring track where more than half the field retired because of mechanical trouble. In my case my engine simply let go when I was whizzing around at top speed on the back straight. It's possible the oil temperature rises from overrevving from skipping over the bumps, and that increases the chance of an engine failure of any sort.

I believe damage builds up over time and can then let go when you're doing nothing wrong. Too much rpm is an example.

#12 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted Mar 11 2018 - 10:04 AM

Can't add much to what Greg and Tommie already said.

I just took a quick look at the code and it appears that oil leakage is about the only oil related failure the player can have.  That in turn causes the oil temperature to increase.  At a certain point, apparently the oil boiling temperature of 115 degrees C, bad things happen to the engine.

I don't see any place where the player can suffer oil line damage or oil pressure pump failure like the AI.  The code is a bit complicated there so I may be overlookng it.

Tommie's observation that there are more player car failures with the 60 fps patch is probably because the section of code that determines player car failures is running at almost twice the normal rate which almost doubles the chance of them happening.

Edited by Lee200, Mar 12 2018 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links