31 replies to this topic

#1 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 06:51 AM

I have an old PC - more than 10 yrs old, though it is running Windows 7. It only has on-board graphics and I want to add a graphics card to improve the graphics capabilities for running GPL. I am no expert in this area and just wondered if there is any advice that could be offered on things to look out for or to avoid. I'm about to start trawling the second-hand market.

Edited by EzaBlade, Jan 31 2018 - 06:52 AM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 09:03 AM

4GB memory, (at least 2 anyway but 4 is way better).

Thru-put speed is really important, (how fast it talks to CPU).
Get the fastest you can find.

#3 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 09:05 AM

Cryptomining is driving gpu prices sky high.  I have a GTX 1050ti that runs GPL extremely well except for the chat stutters online. It's sad to see bottom tier gaming cards like it, have risen in price about 50% since I bought it last March.

GTX 750 ti might be good for GPL, especially if you don't race online. I haven't checked to see if I could find gpu drivers for it that don't have the online chat stutters.

The Radeon HD7950/R9 280 are about the oldest Radeons I'd want to use with GPL. They use a lot of electricity compared to a 1050 TI and don't appear to perform as well as the 1050 TI. Any of the newer Radeons are extremely expensive and I suspect that's because of mining.

I'd be wary of buying a used gpu that might have been used for mining. I don't think the GTX 700 series, GTX 950, and GTX 960 are popular with miners. But if they have the chat stutters online, they're not real enjoyable for online racing. I think any AMD Radeon that would be real good for GPL will be popular with miners so the price is going to be very high.

You should tell us your cpu. The better your cpu is, the less gpu you need. My GTX 750 TI runs GPL noticeably better than my Radeon HD 7850. Both tested with the same cpu. I think my GTX 1050 TI runs GPL better than my Radeon R9 280X, but I can't be sure. The differences in cpus in those two computers is so great I can't be sure if the 1050 TI actually performs better. I should test my R9 280X with my newest cpu.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostEzaBlade, on Jan 31 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

I have an old PC - more than 10 yrs old,

First you should know what kind of slot you have available for the GPU on your motherboard!
Is it AGP or PCI-E ???

Next you should look if the PSU has enough power for a dedicated GPU, some 4GB GPU eat easily extra 200Watts!!!

So please have a look inside the PC and tell us wich Mobo you have and wich PSU!

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostCookie, on Jan 31 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

First you should know what kind of slot you have available for the GPU on your motherboard!
Is it AGP or PCI-E ???

Next you should look if the PSU has enough power for a dedicated GPU, some 4GB GPU eat easily extra 200Watts!!!

So please have a look inside the PC and tell us wich Mobo you have and wich PSU!

Yes, good point. Also had to upgrade power supply when upgrading GPU.

#6 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 10:40 AM

I use an R9 290. Looks and peforms without any problem at 1920x1080 with 8 x Supersampling, it is indeed power hungry but not so much when playing GPL.

You can get similair peformance with a much less powerful gpu, you cpu is much more likely to bottleneck GPL.

Edited by Millennium, Jan 31 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 10:52 AM

Yes this R9 290 is a good one, but it has a TDP of 300Watt, I bet his PSU can not handle this (if he has a PCI-E slot :rolleyes: ), nor will it have 2x 8pin GPU power cables

#8 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 11:09 AM

Axel made excellent points. I didn't think about the gpu slot .

Your computer may not be worth spending more money than a used GTX 550, 650, or 750, and that's only if they'd work with no other expenditure.

#9 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Feb 01 2018 - 07:51 AM

View PostJMF, on Jan 31 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Cryptomining is driving gpu prices sky high.  I have a GTX 1050ti that runs GPL extremely well except for the chat stutters online. It's sad to see bottom tier gaming cards like it, have risen in price about 50% since I bought it last March.

GTX 750 ti might be good for GPL, especially if you don't race online. I haven't checked to see if I could find gpu drivers for it that don't have the online chat stutters.

The Radeon HD7950/R9 280 are about the oldest Radeons I'd want to use with GPL. They use a lot of electricity compared to a 1050 TI and don't appear to perform as well as the 1050 TI. Any of the newer Radeons are extremely expensive and I suspect that's because of mining.

I'd be wary of buying a used gpu that might have been used for mining. I don't think the GTX 700 series, GTX 950, and GTX 960 are popular with miners. But if they have the chat stutters online, they're not real enjoyable for online racing. I think any AMD Radeon that would be real good for GPL will be popular with miners so the price is going to be very high.

You should tell us your cpu. The better your cpu is, the less gpu you need. My GTX 750 TI runs GPL noticeably better than my Radeon HD 7850. Both tested with the same cpu. I think my GTX 1050 TI runs GPL better than my Radeon R9 280X, but I can't be sure. The differences in cpus in those two computers is so great I can't be sure if the 1050 TI actually performs better. I should test my R9 280X with my newest cpu.

Thanks for your reply - I posted my question during a lunch time at work while I was daydreaming about GPL :D . I will reply with more information about PC. A bit remiss not to have done it in the first place ;) .

View PostCookie, on Jan 31 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Is it AGP or PCI-E ???

Thanks. I know it has PCI-e but I don't know about the PSU. I'll get more info - I shouldn't have posted my question while at work during a lunch break without the info :mellow:

View PostJMF, on Jan 31 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

Axel made excellent points. I didn't think about the gpu slot .

Your computer may not be worth spending more money than a used GTX 550, 650, or 750, and that's only if they'd work with no other expenditure.
Yes - I was planning to go second-hand for this.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted Feb 01 2018 - 09:37 AM

I had bought a used GTX 660 Windforce for 45€ some month ago,
this card needs one 6pin GPU cable and has a 192 bit bus what helps a lot at GPL.

#11 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted Feb 01 2018 - 11:06 AM

I have a win7 machine getting on for ten years old. After the original GTX560ti died I had a GTX750ti in it for a while but recently replaced it with a GTX1050ti.
The 750ti was adequate for GPL online and offline unless you were at the back of the grid at Spa67 in the 55s where frames would drop for half a lap. That is why I upgraded to a 1050ti which gives me a solid 36fps.

Both of those cards have low power consumption and take all their power from the PCIe slot meaning no extra power connectors are required.

I am running 1920x1050 res with high quality settings
CPU = amd Phenom @ 3.8ghz

Paul

Edited by paul skingley, Feb 01 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#12 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Feb 01 2018 - 01:04 PM

Hi guys. Are these video cards also good for rFactor, GTR2 and P&G ?

#13 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Feb 01 2018 - 01:14 PM

Yes, modern gpu's are more than enough for those old games.

#14 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Feb 04 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostJMF, on Jan 31 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies. I have tracked down my motherboard spec and included it below with a shot of my PC properties.

Motherboard specification
Attached File  motherboard.png   13.79K   19 downloads

PC Properties
Attached File  pc_properties.png   11.93K   18 downloads

I guess the PSU will be the most basic required for the components installed but I haven't got round to opening up to find out yet.

Edited by EzaBlade, Feb 04 2018 - 09:15 AM.

#15 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted Feb 04 2018 - 03:17 PM

If you want to see what improvement you get with a graphics card but without spending too much cash, buy a used GTX750ti for around £30-£40 and add to you PCIe slot. You will get a massive improvement over your onboard graphics.

With your PC spec I would not fit anything more expensive than a GTX1050ti.

Paul

#16 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Feb 04 2018 - 04:17 PM

View Postpaul skingley, on Feb 04 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

If you want to see what improvement you get with a graphics card but without spending too much cash, buy a used GTX750ti for around £30-£40 and add to you PCIe slot. You will get a massive improvement over your onboard graphics.

With your PC spec I would not fit anything more expensive than a GTX1050ti.

Paul

Thank you for your reply, this is a great help. I knew that my current system didn't warrant spending too much on it and so your suggestions will really help me to focus my search and hit the second-hand market. Cheers.

Edit: This thanks is aimed at all those that replied.

:up:

Edited by EzaBlade, Feb 05 2018 - 05:49 AM.

#17 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Feb 05 2018 - 04:28 PM

View Postpaul skingley, on Feb 01 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

I have a win7 machine getting on for ten years old. After the original GTX560ti died I had a GTX750ti in it for a while but recently replaced it with a GTX1050ti.
The 750ti was adequate for GPL online and offline unless you were at the back of the grid at Spa67 in the 55s where frames would drop for half a lap. That is why I upgraded to a 1050ti which gives me a solid 36fps.

Both of those cards have low power consumption and take all their power from the PCIe slot meaning no extra power connectors are required.

I am running 1920x1050 res with high quality settings
CPU = amd Phenom @ 3.8ghz

Paul

Hi, you say no extra power required but I was looking at the specifications for an ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti on the ASUS website and under Power Consumption it said "up to 150W 1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required". What does this mean? Is there something else I need?

#18 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted Feb 05 2018 - 05:52 PM

Paul's advice is very good, in my opinion.

Some 750s have a 6 pin power connector to supply more power to the gpu. We don't know if your power supply has one of those connectors. Some GTX 750s don't have one and get all their electricity from the PCI-E slot. 1050s are the same way.

I might be willing to ship you a better cpu. I have few that fit your type of motherboard that are better than what you're using. You'd have to be willing to get some new thermal paste to install a different cpu. Tell me in what country you reside and I'll check shipping costs.

#19 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted Feb 06 2018 - 09:36 AM

Yes there are some Overclocked versions of the 750ti and 1050ti that do have a 6pin connector. Best to avoid those and go for the ones that just use the PCIe slot.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

#20 EzaBlade

EzaBlade

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Feb 06 2018 - 11:00 AM

<p>

View Postpaul skingley, on Feb 06 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Yes there are some Overclocked versions of the 750ti and 1050ti that do have a 6pin connector. Best to avoid those and go for the ones that just use the PCIe slot.

Sorry for the confusion.

Paul

OK - well it looks like the one I have identified and have several on watch on eBay are all of the type that need the extra 6 pin power thingy. I'll check my PSU tonight and either look at a suitable replacement for that if I need to or maybe find versions of the 750 that don't need extra power.

For info - this is the make I was concentrating on:-

ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2048 MB) (GTX750TI-OC-2)

and it does indeed state it is overclocked.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is a bit of a confusing thing for me and the specifications don't usually make it clear that there is an external power connection required.
A quick bit of research and I think (I say think) these are some of the cards that require no external power and can be simply plugged in to the PCIe slot (I'm concentrating on the 750 price point):-

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti TF (2048 MB)

EVGA 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Are there any AMD Radeon specs that will compare favourably with the GTX 750? For instance I saw this but couldn't find out whether it needed the external power connector or not.

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB TwinFrozr

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I'm resolving the issue of whether the cards need external PSU connections by asking the questions of the eBay sellers. :D

Edited by EzaBlade, Feb 06 2018 - 11:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links