dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Whatever
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 15 2017 - 10:40 AM

There will be a little bit of an adjustment period as you get used to feel of the belt drive, but I'm sure it will come to you.  Some fine tuning of your settings will help.  I seem to remember it took me about a week to adjust to the new feel and get up to speed with my G25 times.

#17 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted Sep 16 2017 - 10:06 AM

I fired up the PC and wheel yesterday for some laps but the gas pedal had stopped working.
So back to desktop and the TM T300 control panel, same result...no gas pedal.
Turned everything off and back on still the same.
I did a bit google an discovered others having the same or similar problems with this pedal set.

First instinct was return the item to the vendor but curiosity got the better of me, so risking my warranty I opened up the pedals.

Inside is nothing amazing. Two pots with geared pinion running against a rack on the pedals.
The pinions have a blank area with no teeth and the one on the gas pedal was in a position where it could not mesh with the rack.
I moved it a couple of teeth and re-assembled. Now it works again.

I think this pedal set is the weak part of the T300RS package. The plastic feels flimsy, the pedals are light and no where near the build quality of the G25 pedal set. But the wheel seems solid and well made.

Having looked inside the T300RS pedal set I think it would be possible to adapt the G25 pedals to work with the T300 wheel. I might have a go especially if I get more problems with these pedals.

Paul

#18 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Sep 16 2017 - 10:42 AM

Check these out.

http://www.bodin-sol...8_11531457.aspx

http://www.leobodnar...products_id=187

The Bodin adapter says it's not in stock, but I've seen others state that if you contact John Bodin through his site and request the adapter, that he'll make one for you if he has the components available.  He makes quality stuff as I have had his load cell brake mod for the Thrustmaster pedals for several years now.

#19 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted Sep 16 2017 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the links. The Bodin adaptor looks perfect and a simple solution.

Looks like this may be the same guy
http://www.ebay.co.u...PAAAOSw~gRVyPNA

Edit : TM are making one for a tenner.
http://shop.thrustma...12-adapter.html

Almost like saying "we know our pedals are bad" :D

Edit : Ordered the TM adaptor for a tenner so I can use my G25 pedals

Paul

Edited by paul skingley, Sep 18 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#20 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted Sep 20 2017 - 08:32 AM

TM pedal adaptor came today.

Plugs straight in and works with my G25 pedals. The T300 control panel sees all three pedals.

So far so good. :)

Paul

#21 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted Sep 28 2017 - 11:49 AM

I have had a week with the G25 pedals and T300RS wheel combination and it's great.

I can now see why I struggled at first with the T300RS package.... The pedals are cheap and nasty. No feel to the brake pedal, too light and flimsy plastic.

But ... now I am using my G25 pedals via the TM adaptor I have the brake feel back and can start appreciating the T300RS wheel and it's functions.
After some fiddling with settings I like the FF on this wheel.
I have to have the T300 controller strength set at 100% or the wheel is too light. But with 100% and using the GPL default settings "max_steering_torque = 225.0" I am getting the feedback I want.

Other advantages over the G25 wheel are more buttons on the wheel and much quieter FF when in use.

Right now I am thinking this was a good buy at £220 but only because I can use my G25 pedals which I already had. If I had to spend another £100 on decent pedals because the T300 RS ones are rubbish..... I would be feeling disappointed with my purchase.

Paul

Edited by paul skingley, Sep 28 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#22 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

Le Mans Addict and GPL Returnee!

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Le Mans, Le Mans and more Le Mans.

Oh, and GPL as well.

Posted Oct 09 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm interested in the conversation as, to be honest, I'm a veritable dinosaur!  I drove GPL for 3-4 years back at the turn of the century (which sounds like a lifetime ago!) and after a gap of about 13 years returned to it a couple of months ago and I'm having a ball as well as (to my surprise) being a little faster than I used to be....  I'm still using my 'antique' Momo Force (the red one).  I loved it then and I still love it now, but I've been troubled over the last few days by jittery spikey steering from time to time.  I've played with the settings but it just seems to come and go whatever I do, although it seems to get better the longer the session.  I've also had a lot of problems with the axes becoming combined and I have to disconnect the wheel and recalibrate every time I use it now.  So with much regret I'm thinking of getting another wheel and pedals.  I've looked at the Thrustmasters and the Logitech G's, but I read things about flimsy pedals and so on and I want to end up with something as solid as what I already have (or find a solution to my wheel's spiking!).  As I'm 60 years old and my wife is offering to buy me a new set of wheels/pedals for Xmas (price within reason), I'm not sure I can turn that down!  ;)

#23 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Members
  • 73 posts

Oh, and GPL as well.

Posted Oct 09 2017 - 02:41 PM

View Postpaul skingley, on Sep 06 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Hi all. My trusty G25 is getting near retirement. I am looking at two options.

Paul, further to your original post, can you say why you wanted (or needed) to 'retire' your G25?

Edited by Aysedasi, Oct 09 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#24 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted Oct 10 2017 - 05:18 AM

Paul, further to your original post, can you say why you wanted (or needed) to 'retire' your G25?

The g25 had seen many hours of service and was still working. The main problem was wear to the rack and pinion in the wheel which meant I had a dead spot when the wheel was centred, rather like some of the old cars I use to drive where you could turn the wheel 15 - 20 degrees without anything happening to the road wheels.  The wear also made the force feedback more noisy in operation, clacking and banging at every turn.

I had already changed the pots in the G25 pedals so I knew they still had plenty of life in them.

Hope that helps.

Paul

#25 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

• Members
  • 73 posts

Oh, and GPL as well.

Posted Oct 10 2017 - 02:28 PM

Thanks a lot Paul.  I haven't read enough yet and I'm trying to work out if there is any real benefit in going G27/G29 or T300RS if a NOS G25 will actually do the trick, particularly if the G25 pedals are good enough to hang on to and use with a later wheel....

Edited by Aysedasi, Oct 10 2017 - 02:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links